GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
that too.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
I've read through, my question was more on whether mods could be leveraged on an automatic as easily as a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
imo This car is a day late and a dollar short, if it was introduced in 2008 we would all be on the BRZ/scion forums. There are just better cars available these days.

I wish manufactures would sell throw back spec’ed cars, Like the OG MK1 gti full factory spec for the same price as originally sold.
Or in this case the 1986 corolla GTS.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've read through, my question was more on whether mods could be leveraged on an automatic as easily as a manual.

makes no sense. you're on here right? 99.9% of mods can be done on both DSG and MT trans cars, yes?

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Not true Gunkata. Coming from Fit Freaks, different Kwsc/t1r turbo's are available for at/mt owners of honda fits. The AT owners had considerable delay/stage upgrade limitations. And while 99.99% of mods can be pronounced with DSG/MT variants,i believe the FRS is sans dual clutch i.e., conventional torque converter.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Not true Gunkata. Coming from Fit Freaks, different Kwsc/t1r turbo's are available for at/mt owners of honda fits. The AT owners had considerable delay/stage upgrade limitations. And while 99.99% of mods can be pronounced with DSG/MT variants,i believe the FRS is sans dual clutch i.e., conventional torque converter.

BRZ is a 200hp N/A car. what mods are people gonna do to it besides a turbo, that would make a difference based on trans? watevs... premature mod question (on 200hp n/a car) is premature.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Good point honestly.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
imo This car is a day late and a dollar short, if it was introduced in 2008 we would all be on the BRZ/scion forums. There are just better cars available these days.

I wish manufactures would sell throw back spec’ed cars, Like the OG MK1 gti full factory spec for the same price as originally sold.
Or in this case the 1986 corolla GTS.

Cars like the FR-S are not that overpriced as cars from decades ago if we factor infation.

Accordig to this site: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1986-Toyota-Corolla-GTS-Overview-t23158 The 1986 Corolla GTS cost $10,508 when new.

So in 2010 that 1986 Toyota would be priced at $20,613.17. Factor in all the required safety features the FR-S/BRZ have and then the other interior features on a modern car and we are not really overpaying.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It might possibly be worth it if you plan to mod it for a lot more power, but being more expensive and slower than a v6 Mustang does not tickle my fancy.

if it its more engaging to drive, better looking (subjective, and have to consider its a mustang that is not a V8 GT), I'd much rather have it and deal with losing a second on a race track for light and nimble handling and great steering feel. This is a GTI board, right? ;)

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
if it its more engaging to drive, better looking (subjective, and have to consider its a mustang that is not a V8 GT), I'd much rather have it and deal with losing a second on a race track for light and nimble handling and great steering feel. This is a GTI board, right? ;)

+1

Even though the v6 beats it, if it came down to either of those cars, the brz would get my money. I could never own a v6 "muscle car"

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
This really seems like a love it or hate it car. It sounds like you'd really have to drive it yourself to decide. After all, how the hell does one car beat a Porsche Cayman in one review and lose to a V6 Mustang in another? Wtf...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
This really seems like a love it or hate it car. It sounds like you'd really have to drive it yourself to decide. After all, how the hell does one car beat a Porsche Cayman in one review and lose to a V6 Mustang in another? Wtf...

If you're talking about the Motor Trend review, it actually beat the V6 Mustang. A second slower in lap time, but both drivers preferred the BRZ.

As far as I can tell, the only comparison the BRZ has lost so far was in Evo's comparison against a RS Megane Trophy 265, but that was a slushbox BRZ.

Aside from Evo, the BRZ is a pretty universally loved car.

Edit: Sort of ironic, but there was actually a Motor Trend article published today about how much journalists love the FR-S/BRZ. I drove the FR-S at a First Drive event (narrow auto-x layout). It was definitely a great car, but I'm surprised how much journalists have been fawning over this car.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/2013-scion-fr-s-a-fault-finding-mission-23215.html

Last edited:

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, I'm not sure what gave me the impression that it 'lost' to the Mustang. Either way I've heard quite mixed reviews...