GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The slow (but sometimes fast) '13 UG GTI

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
This is going to be the "official" build of my GTI, I rarely post for any reason other than to buy things, but figured why not start a build thread? I'm bored, its 3am and I truly have run out of things to do.

Lets start with some background:

I used to drive a Jeep. Sounds fun, right? Yeah, except the terrible gas mileage, lack of usable space, and lack on fun to be had on paved roads.

I then wanted to go faster, or at least take turns faster, so I traded the Jeep for a 2004 RX8.

:thumbdown:

It spent alot of time getting towed.

Spent nearly every penny I earned on it, still hated it no matter how much I modded it. Waking up 20 minutes early to warm it up in the winter (boo apex seals) just really took the fun out of it. Got a speeding ticket and sold it.

Drove a 650i for a while, it was fun, had more power than the RX8 and the handling wasn't terrible. It could roast the tires and took turns well enough.

And then an old lady decided to turn right from the left turn lane and found that even though she couldn't see me, I was in fact there. (que screaming husband)

:thumbdown:

The 650 got fixed, and I decided it was time to say goodbye as I was going to college in 3 months, and didn't like the idea of bringing THAT car to college with me. Plus, the maintenance hadn't been kept up with and I wasn't going to drop that much coin.

My family had a history with VW's (more specifically- A single VW) and while the driver who drove the VW certainly didn't treat the car right (whats a pothole?) it treated us magnificently.

My brother was driving a 2011 CSG GTI at the time and loved it. I borrowed it for a week and was hooked :thumbup:

One sold BMW later and a trip to my friendly neighborhood VW dealer, I was the proud owner of a '13 UG GTI. No nav, no xenon, just the touch screen radio, sunroof and of course, a 6 MT.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
I purchased the car with only 22 miles on it, and quickly realized that I made the right choice. The car stayed stock until December of 2013, when I decided to go with a VW OEM roof rack and a Thule Aeroblade deflector. No pics, I didn't really care at the time.

Then while browsing ECS tuning one day after class, I purchased an S3 short shifter. Installation was a piece of cake and the results were worth the $35 or so I spent.

My shifts were quicker, but my car was still the same speed, which didn't really bother me that much..yet.

I had become accustomed to the slight yellow tint that the fog lights in the RX8 and the 650i had, so naturally I got yellow tinted bulbs.

Then had some fun in the snow.

Brought out the DSLR and decided to see exactly how yellow the lights were.

I kinda liked them. But hated the amber sidemarkers.

So I got a color matched set and my windows tinted.

Somewhere in this period (around march I believe) I had Flow VW install an ECS Tuning Dogbone mount insert when they were doing an oil change. Definitely noticed a difference, especially when backing up- lots of vibration. It has since either subsided or I have become accustomed to it. More than likely its the latter.

And thats how the car stayed for about 4 months, I was more than happy with it.

Last edited:

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
One day after getting the car washed and while waiting for my color matched sidemarkers arrived, I decided to take a picture to use as the "before" picture for the sidemarkers.

Well, all it did was set the gears in motion. I wanted to go lower, not slammed, but not the 4x4 stance that I was, unfortunately, rocking.

Fast forward a few months to June of 2014, I order H&R Super Sport springs from ECS, mainly because of the free shipping.

Less than one day later, I was at my local VW dealer after a day worse than hell.

Woke up late, needed to make what is normally a 2 hour trip into a 1 hour trip. Played it safe and cruised at the speed limit, I don't need another ticket.

Walk back to my car and DENT. Big crease in my RR quarterpanel. The offender? An older Chrysler Town and Country. Went back inside, found the owner (and his family), showed him the evidence, he denied it. It wasn't a big deal.

I lied, yes it was. I told him he was being a poor role model for his children because he was lying to my face, he told me to go to hell and we parted ways, but not before I took his info for an insurance claim.

Went to my friendly neighborhood PDR experts, they said they could remove the crease no problem. Que tearing apart my back seat and drilling out a bunch of rivets.

Sent the guy the bill, he paid in full and apologized. Made me glad I didn't escalate the situation, as he turned out to be a stressed, by pretty stand up guy.

I was low enough that would occasionally scrape, and my car looked how I wanted it to.

But didn't sound how I wanted it to. Que terrible ricer mod that I really, really disliked.

Sounded terrible, worst thing I've ever done to a car and I absolutely hated it every time I drove the car.

But I had things to do, people to see, cars to look at and planes to catch. So it stayed for a month.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
BRAG POST

Flew to AZ and took delivery of a CC R-Line.

Rides great, audio is not bad and just quick enough to have a little bit of fun.

While the HR SS springs paired with the stock shocks didn't bounce too terribly, I wanted to try out a bigger RSB.

Installed a BSH 27mm RSB that I picked up used, put it on its stiffest setting and drove the snot out of my car.

Results? Definitely stiffer, but lost some steering feel which I wasn't fond of, so it went to the softest setting.

Much better.

Added 10mm rear spacers and we were in business.

Only really rubbed on the hardest of cornering.

Now is when I skipped the "getting the modding bug" stage and when complete to the "I've gone insane, lets spend alot of money" stage.

Time for coilovers. Found a set of NGP Type II prototypes that I could have in trade for swapping the stock suspension back into a car. No problemo.

I was hesitant at first as I couldn't find much info on them, but a few calls and some research later I decided why not.

I'm glad I did, because I love them. I'll admit I'd like more adjustability out of the rear, but the ride is smooth, yet stiff enough to handle some highly spirited driving. Best ride I've felt out of a fixed dampening coilover.

Then, I wanted to go faster. A few PM's to a local vdubber who was selling some suspension parts landed me at AWE tuning in Willow Grove, PA.

Bad, bad idea.

1 week later I scheduled an appointment for a GIAC stage 2 tune.

2 days later I purchased a used ATP catless downpipe

and 2 days after that I installed it. I broke a socket in the process and used about every vulgar word I could think of, but installed it.

Started it up and... NOPE. No way. Catless DP and a resonator delete make for some terrible sounds.

The next morning the resonator was reinstalled, and the next day I was tuned.

A few days after that, I packed up my apartment and left.

Got some very, very funny looks but it worked.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Whats this?

Thats not good.

Neither is that, how'd I miss this when I pulled out?

Yeah nope. Waterpump gone.

Here we go.

Just kidding. Flow VW in Greensboro, North Carolina pulled some serious strings and had me back on the road within 6 hours of tow-in.

Took this picture the same day.

About the Mini's- The white one is heavily modded, tuned w/ big FMIC, TBE and CAI + more suspension modifications than can be counted. The black one is also modded, tuned w/ big FMIC (hiding behind the grille) as well as a CAI and some suspension mods.

The black one isn't worth wasting my fuel, however the white one will match me until 30mph or so and then I'll pull away pretty easily.

Thats all for now, next up is a OEM Lip and a front swaybar. Thanks for reading, or not if you didn't- I had fun writing this.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Very clean and tasteful mods man! Keep up the good work.
Do you see yourself perhaps going with a K04 anytime soon :D

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Very clean and tasteful mods man! Keep up the good work.
Do you see yourself perhaps going with a K04 anytime soon :D

Thanks! I will definitely be going with either a K04 or, pending more information, Integrated Engineering's IE450T kit.

Either way it won't be for awhile, I'm still saving for a clutch (not slipping yet, surprisingly), intercooler, and intake.

Nice work man! Very clean, subtle, yet makes its presence known. Keep up the good work!

Appreciated!

Also- does anyone have any tips to get a leaky vband to.. not leak? I've tried aligning it and resurfacing the mating surfaces but it still leaks, tempted to just take the downpipe off and TIG it together.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I will definitely be going with either a K04 or, pending more information, Integrated Engineering's IE450T kit.

Either way it won't be for awhile, I'm still saving for a clutch (not slipping yet, surprisingly), intercooler, and intake.

Appreciated!

Also- does anyone have any tips to get a leaky vband to.. not leak? I've tried aligning it and resurfacing the mating surfaces but it still leaks, tempted to just take the downpipe off and TIG it together.

I suggest trying some exhaust sealant paste or glue... Should do the trick

Sent from my BendGate Plus.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Well, I was able to avoid a CEL for my catless dp for 1000 miles or so after fiddling around with an RAI J Spacer but it just came back on after some very hard driving.

Bummer, looks like I'll just put the stock DP back on to pass PA inspection.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Just passed PA inspection with no cat :thumbup:

Didn't use a test pipe file, didn't end up swapping the stock DP back in. I left the tune on the car and used an RAI J-Spacer with the medium size jet, angled towards the front of the car with 2 threads exposed.

Got more hassle for having color matched side markers than anything else :thumbup:

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
I'm still saving for a clutch (not slipping yet, surprisingly)

Got the clutch to slip for the first time today. Slight uphill, about 55*F, probably had an extra ~300lbs of random stuff in the car.

6th WOT between 3500 and 4200
5th WOT between 3900 and 4500
4th WOT between 4500 and 5000

I had been doing alot of city driving with 3 extra people and the extra 300lbs I was talking about, obviously the extra weight is a factor and the city driving definitely didn't help

Looks like its time to start buying all the specialty tools I'll need :thumbdown:

Going to go with a Southbend Stage 3 Drop in Disk.