GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Hit a couple PR's in the last couple months:

Bench: 315, 330, 350 for a PR

Deads: 545, 585, 605 for a PR

Bench: 315x2, 335x1, 365xfail ...I think the spotter touched the right side a bit, so I'm not counting it. I definitely did not set up right for this attempt but frankly I just got greedy & shouldve just went for 355-360 which wouldve been a PR. I usually avoid grinders like this...

I'm guessing embed doesnt work?? Tried both Youtube embed codes & neither worked... :confused:

FTFY

put everything after the v= in the youtube address between tags

Nice PRs though

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
What other gym are you a part of

Just a local one. It's awesome, basically a big old warehouse with a ton of old collegiate equipment. Unfortunately I'm not home all week to use it and the hotels gyms are just really blowing so it'd be nice to have something that's everywhere.

Hit a couple PR's in the last couple months:

Bench: 315, 330, 350 for a PR http://youtu.be/X_XH-Zznot0

Deads: 545, 585, 605 for a PR http://youtu.be/QCcxtuZPejM

Bench: 315x2, 335x1, 365xfail ...I think the spotter touched the right side a bit, so I'm not counting it. I definitely did not set up right for this attempt but frankly I just got greedy & shouldve just went for 355-360 which wouldve been a PR. I usually avoid grinders like this...

http://youtu.be/XvcgWyn7u7E

I'm guessing embed doesnt work?? Tried both Youtube embed codes & neither worked... :confused:

Damn, nice number man :w00t:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Well... I tried out a Planet Shitness today. Honestly, I think I'll probably join. For $20/month it's way better than using hotel gyms every time, they're in virtually every US city which is crucial for me as I'm all over. Definitely a kind of sucky gym as the dumb bells only go up to 75 and it's all Smith machines rather than actual bench presses, squat racks, etc. It's kind of unfortunate, I'll probably have to keep both memberships so I can get a workout or two in a week with real stuff, which I think is important. Oh well... I guess traveling for work has its ups and downs. I'll be paying $55 a month for gyms, but at least they buy my meals.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
I hit 200lbs on snatch today. I made a goal in January of hitting 200lbs before the end of the year. I planned out a cycle to get there. I never had a chance to hit my cycle due to work. I'm shocked that I got here without any kind of strategic planning. All my gains have been from just playing around in the gym when I had a chance. Maybe I'll hit 215 before '15. ;)

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I know I mentioned training for Ironman Boulder a couple times, but I never gave an update on how it went down.

Going into the race I was hoping to PR the 140.6 mile Ironman distance. I've been fighting a knee problem the last half of my training, I get lots of knee pain on the bike after 50ish miles on the outside back of both knees where the tendon moves across the little bone that pokes out. I went to the doctor the diagnosis was tendonitis from overuse and I was told it would not get better until I gave my body a break and and took some time off from training. That wasn't going to happen so I've trained through that and just iced A LOT literally. Then bad went to worse, 10 days before Ironman I ended up in Urgent Care because my left knee was in a lot of pain and it very swollen and ballooned up. The diagnosis... a minor meniscus tear. The joint was stable and it wasn't bad enough to need surgery or anything. I was told as long as the swelling went down and I got range of motion came back i could go ahead with the race as it's not a lot of agility and side to side movement but that it was going to hurt, a ton. Hoping for a PR turned into hoping to start and trying to just finish before the 17 hour cutoff.

Swelling did go down so I went for it. The swim went fine, the bike started good, about 50 miles in the tendonitis pain started in, by mile 70 it was pretty painful in general. It was at 5500 feet of elevation, 90 degrees out and not a cloud in the sky, GPS were reading around 102 degrees out on the east side of the bike route where your baking in the sun with nothing but a blacktop road. The last 30ish miles were all up a false flat, mile 100 was a 1 mile climb up what started as a 14% grade. Stomping on the pedals for that is really what triggered the severe knee pain. I finished the 112 miles and made it back to transition. By the time I started the run I was limping just trying to walk and I still had to run a marathon, all of which was on solid concrete (beats up your joints a lot more than blacktop or asphalt). It was ugly, really really ugly. When I had 9 miles left i knew I could walk the whole way and still beat the cut off but I honestly didn't know if i was going to able to cover another 9 miles. In the end it was my slowest 140.6 by about an hour and half but it was probably the most meaningful going injured and still pushing through it. In the end Boulder ended up being one of the hardest Ironman course they offer (based on one of the slowest average finisher times and the slowest average marathon time of all the race.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
My weekend for the USAW Cert was a blast. The instructor was Ursula Garza Papandrea who is the head coach of the Texas Barbell Club. They won the National competition this year and have two guys qualified for worlds. Kirby White is one of the lifters who happened to pop in and demo.

Dude is strong.

https://vimeo.com/106134805https://vimeo.com/106134829https://vimeo.com/106134836

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I know I mentioned training for Ironman Boulder a couple times, but I never gave an update on how it went down.

Going into the race I was hoping to PR the 140.6 mile Ironman distance. I've been fighting a knee problem the last half of my training, I get lots of knee pain on the bike after 50ish miles on the outside back of both knees where the tendon moves across the little bone that pokes out. I went to the doctor the diagnosis was tendonitis from overuse and I was told it would not get better until I gave my body a break and and took some time off from training. That wasn't going to happen so I've trained through that and just iced A LOT literally. Then bad went to worse, 10 days before Ironman I ended up in Urgent Care because my left knee was in a lot of pain and it very swollen and ballooned up. The diagnosis... a minor meniscus tear. The joint was stable and it wasn't bad enough to need surgery or anything. I was told as long as the swelling went down and I got range of motion came back i could go ahead with the race as it's not a lot of agility and side to side movement but that it was going to hurt, a ton. Hoping for a PR turned into hoping to start and trying to just finish before the 17 hour cutoff.

Swelling did go down so I went for it. The swim went fine, the bike started good, about 50 miles in the tendonitis pain started in, by mile 70 it was pretty painful in general. It was at 5500 feet of elevation, 90 degrees out and not a cloud in the sky, GPS were reading around 102 degrees out on the east side of the bike route where your baking in the sun with nothing but a blacktop road. The last 30ish miles were all up a false flat, mile 100 was a 1 mile climb up what started as a 14% grade. Stomping on the pedals for that is really what triggered the severe knee pain. I finished the 112 miles and made it back to transition. By the time I started the run I was limping just trying to walk and I still had to run a marathon, all of which was on solid concrete (beats up your joints a lot more than blacktop or asphalt). It was ugly, really really ugly. When I had 9 miles left i knew I could walk the whole way and still beat the cut off but I honestly didn't know if i was going to able to cover another 9 miles. In the end it was my slowest 140.6 by about an hour and half but it was probably the most meaningful going injured and still pushing through it. In the end Boulder ended up being one of the hardest Ironman course they offer (based on one of the slowest average finisher times and the slowest average marathon time of all the race.

I actually know your pain exactly except mine was a tear on the inside and only had to suffer through a half.

Should have stayed off it but kept training and kept riding making it worse. Luckily for my race the way I damaged mine was only a problem on the bike I could run fine just not take stairs.

It is finally now healed and back to training but I lost so much fitness.

Sucks but good to hear you got through it even with all the pain!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I've spent a LOT of time on the couch since finishing the race trying to get back healthy. I've been commuting to work from time to time on the bike, but basically the only activity I've been doing is work (physical on my feet labor) and 3-4 hour mountain bike rides once a weekend. I'm really trying to relax and recover so I can go into ski season with healthy knees.Speaking of which.... it's less than a month until the official start of Colorado ski season :thumbup:

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Okay I am trying to get back into shape. I was in good shape in high school. I ran cross country and wrestled. The summer after I continued to work out and run so I was a pretty lean 155lbs. Fast forward to joining the Air Force. And in my 2.5 years I managed to get up to 195lbs. A little of that is muscle. But much of it is fat.

By working on my eating habits and adding very minimal gym time I managed to get down towards 180. I want to get down towards 170, build some more muscle, and train towards a half marathon like I was in school.

I know that if I work on my eating habits some more and cut down on my alcohol intake that should help. But does anyone have some simple suggestions for me? I understand this is very vague and basic. So vague and basic answers are fine with me.

kram

Ready to race!
Okay I am trying to get back into shape. I was in good shape in high school. I ran cross country and wrestled. The summer after I continued to work out and run so I was a pretty lean 155lbs. Fast forward to joining the Air Force. And in my 2.5 years I managed to get up to 195lbs. A little of that is muscle. But much of it is fat.

By working on my eating habits and adding very minimal gym time I managed to get down towards 180. I want to get down towards 170, build some more muscle, and train towards a half marathon like I was in school.

I know that if I work on my eating habits some more and cut down on my alcohol intake that should help. But does anyone have some simple suggestions for me? I understand this is very vague and basic. So vague and basic answers are fine with me.

Congrats on the weight loss man!

You kind of answered your own question a bit w/ the bolded line above. Alcohol is a lot of empty calories so I'd start there. Examine your drinking habits & see what adjustment you can make (cut down on amount/nights you drink/what you drink).

Diet wise...since you dont mention what you're currently eating I'd suggest just start reducing (or eliminating) any processed foods you're eating (i.e. french fries, cookies, sweets etc). Eat more whole proteins, fruits/veggies. Drink lots of water. If you want to get more exact, start tracking whatever you put in your mouth w/ an app/site like myfitnesspal etc.

Dont know what you're doing for exercise but find some activity you like & do it regularly to expend some calories.

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
I need to get back on track with my workouts. I've dwindled down to one lifting session per week since I got my pup. No bueno.

I need to get back to the 3-4 times per week. I'm slacking and I know it. I need to stop making excuses/being lazy.

Last edited: