GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Pedal Lag/Dead Space

P

plac

This isn't really any different than Sprint Booster. so get whichever is cheaper. Found on chinese websites:

From the name could you possibly guess what the Wind Booster is claimed to do? If you’re like us and do have some mechanical knowledge you might mistakenly think the Wind Booster improves induction, or the cars breathing, and in turn help to produce more power, but it doesn’t.
The Wind Booster is basically a throttle response control unit that can be quickly fitted to any number or make of cars.
Once fitted (the kit claims it should take no more than 5 minutes) and turned on you will be presented with some flashing red lights! Cool! From there you can choose a ‘Mode’ depending on your driving conditions.
Basic models have 3 modes, Normal (the same as if you hadn’t fitted the unit), Eco (claimed to improve fuel economy) and our favourite SPORT mode which is claimed to improve performance. In actual fact the unit just makes the accelorator more responsive giving the feeling of more power (there is no increase in H.P) This added accelation is said to be noticable, but not enough so to warrant the 1800 RMB price tag. You could probably buy an improved exhaust system and performance air filter for the same price here in the P.R.C!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation Instructions:

Find the ECT connector under the steering wheel.

By undoing the safety clip with the screwdriver, unplug the connector and pull it in front of the pedal.

Plug-in the Sprint Booster and the cable back into its initial position.

Connect the ECM cable to the Wind Booster.

Makes sure all connections are firmly in place.

Mk6Daddy

Ready to race!
I have a new MKVI GTI ,one month old , and it is my first car with an electronic throttle and turbo. Most of my driving so far has been in the city with many stop signs. I do not get a direct response between my foot pressing and the rpms when starting out at a stop sign. Many times it's count one, two,then it responds.
Even sitting at idle in the driveway if I start "pumping" the pedal and inch or so rapidly the rpms do not change, only the pedal moves.
Is this characteristic of electronic throttles and or turbos? The old direct reponse of a mechanical link throttle may have trained me wrong and I now have to relearn how to drive or should I head to the service department?

Yes, I noticed this same problem in my DSG model as well.

Just picked my car up this past Saturday. This forum is great!

pgreene1

Ready to race!
I just wanted to chime in to say I've noticed this as well. It was apparent in both of the GTIs I test drove, and it's apparent in the 2012 DSG GTI that I bought on Saturday. It's HUGELY annoying. My previous car was an 07 Honda Fit and while that car was slow the throttle response was night and day better than the GTI. The Fit was also drive-by-wire, but the throttle response was always immediate.

The lag is really the only complaint I have with my car right now. I'm getting used to it, but it's really annoying when I'm waiting to make a left turn or something similar and I have to be sure I give the car a couple of extra seconds to respond to my throttle input.

tribecagolf

Ready to race!
There is a bit of a lag in mine as well but I think it only happens if you want to accelerate slow but if you punch it there is no lag. Plus mine is a diesel so a bit of a lag is expected but once it opens up it's all good, this thing flies.

McQueen77

Banned
i get no lag but i drive a manual. i never personally feel the drive by wire in day to day driving..

you should get the unitronic dsg tune so 'D' mode won't be such a bummer.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I have a new MKVI GTI ,one month old , and it is my first car with an electronic throttle and turbo. Most of my driving so far has been in the city with many stop signs. I do not get a direct response between my foot pressing and the rpms when starting out at a stop sign. Many times it's count one, two,then it responds.
Even sitting at idle in the driveway if I start "pumping" the pedal and inch or so rapidly the rpms do not change, only the pedal moves.
Is this characteristic of electronic throttles and or turbos? The old direct reponse of a mechanical link throttle may have trained me wrong and I now have to relearn how to drive or should I head to the service department?

Get a Unitronic DSG flash it improves throttle response and that little bit of lag that occurs after mashing the pedal.

93RT10

There is definetly something to the transmission learning driving styles. I use the GTI as my daily driver and occasionally the wife drives it. It is always a completely different car after the wife drives it....starts getting the lag. This thread has been 9 pages of a waste of time as far as solving the problem, other than verifying I'm not the only one feeling this.

So does the sprint booster work? Does anyone who has the booster think it doesnt work? Has there been any confirmation a tune eliminates this?

VWTN

Ready to race!
I feel the minimal turbo lag but that's about it. What I am noticing recently is seemingly slow upshifts with the DSG. Down shifts still seem snappy but the other way feels like a true slush box lately.

thelostone

I have a MT and I notice the lag too. I am re-adjusting to it, but a couple of time I have tried to squirt through traffic in 2nd and no go for a second or so. I only have 1k on the car...if that has anything to do with this.

fasteddy

Ready to race!
7.5k miles on my 6mt and still getting the lag. I have been scared at least once while pulling across traffic, due to a 1-2 second delay in throttle.

RobC2

I never had a problem like this with my car and honestly think its a bit overblown. Drive a G37 if you want to feel real dead space in a supposedly "sporty" car.

I find this car very easy to drive smoothly (6spd) much easier than a lot of other cars I have driven.

I agree. I think this car is the easiest manual to drive smoothly that I have ever driven. I have owned over 10 cars with manuals and driven many more and the smoothness of the GTI always impresses me. As far as lag or dead space in the pedal, I find this in most modern cars to some degree. I also own a C6 Corvette and this is an oft discussed topic on that forum as well. Also of note, I think some lag in the pedal is programmed in, probably to improve fuel economy for those with a fidgety right foot.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
This may have already been mentioned in the thread, but does a Stage 1 tune reduce or eliminate the lag? I find myself waiting to make turns across traffic in the GTI that I would have never hesitated to make in my Honda Fit, simply because I can never be sure if the throttle will want to take a second to respond to my input. It's really, really frustrating.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
This may have already been mentioned in the thread, but does a Stage 1 tune reduce or eliminate the lag? I find myself waiting to make turns across traffic in the GTI that I would have never hesitated to make in my Honda Fit, simply because I can never be sure if the throttle will want to take a second to respond to my input. It's really, really frustrating.

I agree with your perception entirely.

I have noticed no difference with APR stage 1. Tunes do not fix this.

You just have to get used to it. With experience you learn to modulate it a bit and just get used to it.

Last edited:

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!

I know what you are talking about. This is my first too, and I do believe its both the drive by wire and turbo lag. ECU tunes help to fix throttle response I believe.