Votes: 186 38.1%
  • 6 speed

Votes: 256 52.5%
  • obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters

Marvin

Ready to race!
DSG is really lame.. honestly i look down at people with DSG.. its also really annoying to drive with both hands on the steering wheel at that position, theres nothin like one hand on the top of the wheel while shiftin up with the other hand.

The trouble is that too many people drive with only one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand anywhere else but even when they've finished stirring the box.
:mad0259:

subacpw

Ready to race!
DSG is really lame.. honestly i look down at people with DSG.. its also really annoying to drive with both hands on the steering wheel at that position, theres nothin like one hand on the top of the wheel while shiftin up with the other hand.

you obviously dont know the proper way to drive. not only that but you dont maintain complete control of the car with only one hand on the wheel.

feel free too look down on my for choosing a technically advanced transmission.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
thanks for your honesty regarding your stupidity. i look down upon people who don't even have all the information before they post. i too primarily drive with one hand on the shifter and one on the wheel, dingus - see the little + and - symbols:

i don't look down on people who prefer manual, unless they're haters...

davettf2

Peeps
An interesting thread, personally I have the DSG, like the technology behind it, giving me automatic ease in trafic with the economy of the manual. It also shifts quicker than an auto shifter and I can use the paddles to change down without having to use 'kick down'.

With regards to ones hand position, thats personal preference, me I like the fact with the paddles I can keep both hand on the whell and play tunes if I feel like it.

regards
dave

Marvin

Ready to race!
Surely the point is that you are not constantly changing gear if you have a manual box and therefore both hands should be back where they belong. ie. on the steering wheel when you have no further gears to select.

krische

vdubber in training
I think people are getting too caught up in whch one is better. Can't they both be good? The DSG is the best automatic money can buy in the car market today. And if automatics aren't your thing, the GTI's manual is the bee's knees as well.

Stein357

Ready to race!
I personally bought a manual because I knew I would get bored with the DSG. I have plenty of years to drive automatics.

Aitch

Thanks. Its only because of DSG that I started looking at the new MkVI. I'd prefer a manual, but my next car needs to be an auto b/c my wife is still a new driver and is really uncomfortable with a standard (still quite nervous on the road and we live in a very busy city - Toronto).

Because of the DSG option I went to check out the new MkVI and fell in love with it. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about the GTI; I'd crossed it off after the MkV (sorry but the MkV interior doesn't do anything for me).

So look down at DSG owners if you want (hopefully I'll be one later this year). Not everyone gets it because they can't drive manual, they do it because it makes more sense for them personally. I'm not an F1 driver but I'm pretty damn good at driving manual - I shift smoothly, I can rev-match without a second thought, in the middle of a corner etc, and my clutches generally live a very long time. In spite of this I'll happily drive a DSG car because it lets my wife drive but I get a kick-ass, easily upgradable turbo hatchback.

krische

vdubber in training
I noticed most of the people here promoting the manual have quite a bit of experience with manuals. Would you guys recommend the GTI's manual to someone with very little experience with manuals? I've only driven a manual car a handful of times.

Mestizo

This topic is not that serious fella's, basically what it comes down to is personal preference...period. Some people like DSG, some people like manual, to each is own! If your torn between the two, flip a coin LOL

fokker

Ready to race!
^ Kirsche, this opinion is coming from a 20 minute test drive. The car was super easy to drive. The clutch and tranny was silky smooth. It'll be a very easy car to learn on.

subacpw

Ready to race!
if your newer to driving a manual the GTI is a very easy manual to drive.

im with most people saying every one at some point, mostly early in their driving "career" should learn and drive a manual.

personally i have driven a manual for 6 years. not that thats a long time by any means, but im up with tech and I love the smooth quick precise constant sifts I get from the DSG.
im slightly worried about maintenance costs on it but for me it was worth having the DSG.

but i do say if your newer to driving the manual will be great for you, and driving a manual with make you a better driver.

Marvin

Ready to race!
Here in the UK we have a motoring history of driving manuals only, although in the last decade or two more sophisticated autos giving better fuel economy such as the DSG boxes and similar ones, are giving rise to an increase in buying autos. Also some cars are inherently better with auto boxes (Mercedes Benz I believe) who used to have a reputation for poor notchy manual boxes.
Also some of our terrain here is pretty hilly in parts with some pretty sudden and steep hills with gradients of 1 in 5 or worse and I just wonder how a DSG box would handle these if you were stopped and had to pull away again on the steepest parts.
In the Lake District there are the notorious Wrynose and Hardnott passes which are terrifyingly steep and narrow.
Many years ago i could not get up one of the steeper ones on 1st gear and so had to reverse up as the gearing was much lower in reverse gear.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i would probably fall asleep at the wheel if i drove a dsg. i would deff get bored after 5 minutes