Votes: 186 38.1%
  • 6 speed

Votes: 256 52.5%
  • obligatory 3rd option - its your car pick

Votes: 46 9.4%

• Total voters

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
As I read several of these "pro-manual" responses, I can't help but notice the threatened tone present as the DSG is thrashed in some way to justify the manual choice. ;):fighting0030:

Seriously, though, I think the tranny choice is as personal as color choice or leather versus cloth or what have you. It is hard to argue how one is better than the other.

I also want to say, there are many insightful responses where people explain why they chose one over the other that I've enjoyed reading, almost as much as the trash talking posts. :D

Biff

Ready to race!
The clutch dies hard in a sports car or sports sedan for many. No right or wrong of course. I daily drove a 911SC with clutch for fifteen years, but if I bought a new Porsche it would be PDK in all likelihood. Best of both worlds to me.

PDK being the current Porsche version of a dsg.

Last edited:

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
looks like the 6-speed has been winning the poll for quite some time
41% vs 49% is hardly a landslide - for an enthusiast site i'm quite surprised it's this close...

Lets me drive in "auto" mode in stop and go traffic and while on the phone for business (via BT, of course), or for highway cruising (with manual shifting out when I feel like goosing it a bit :D), then pop it back into tip mode for fun around town and on windy backroads (of which there are far too few around here).

It's a compromise, for sure, but it's a good one for me.
w3rd, same here - best of both worlds!

seriously, if you can't decide - manual is $1100 cheaper and cheaper to repair, beyond that it's personal preference...

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
41% vs 49% is hardly a landslide - for an enthusiast site i'm quite surprised it's this close...

never said it was a landslide

subacpw

Ready to race!
i went DSG.

so far love it. but i have not had a ton of time to drive it recently, medical treatments are in the way. come middle of next week I should be adding some miles. im also planning a trip for mid march which should help in the did i make the right choice or not. so far though i cant be happier.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
it depends on if you like manual or not. If you are ok with manual when you drive your WRX, and you can actually feel fun from driving it, then go for manual GTI, otherwise, DSG is the way to go

I am driving a manual mazda 3. I do not have problem with driving manual ,but I cannot feel any fun when I drive it. It is important to me because the "fun" was the main reason I bought the car manual.

Since there is no fun with the manual, all I feel was too much work when driving. I am really tired with depressing my clutch and rev match and all the shxx, and it is the primary reason I am in the market to shop a DSG GTI...

MrClean

Go Kart Champion

w3rd, same here - best of both worlds!

seriously, if you can't decide - manual is $1100 cheaper and cheaper to repair, beyond that it's personal preference...

Agreed.

I am somewhat surprised on the poll percentages too.

I figured enthusiasts would be choosing the manual, if for no other reason, to preserve the clutch pedal. :D

If I didn't already have a third pedal car in the garage, I'd likely get the manual. Plus, my wife drives the car from time to time, and although she can drive a stick, she prefers the DSG.

Those married understand this compromise. :)

Stasis1

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I'm a different breed. 4 years on a DSG MKV and I'm definitely getting DSG in my MK6, with ZERO hesitation. I never have it in D, ever... and I also never use the paddle shifters. DSG is extremely amusing to me, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I love the burps/farts, and I love the quick shifts.

I've messed around with a lot of cars from a stop/light that I'd be a lot less confident going after from a higher speed highway roll.

The reason I got a GTI vs. a MS3, or other higher powered similarly priced cars is for the entire package is provides. That was reason enough for me to accept the smaller power rating. That being said, I choose to give it every possible advantage I can, and DSG is simply where it's at for me. It's one of the main reasons I want a second GTI.

scottwu1991

i got the DSG. im from europe and i would normally go for a manual (and its 1000 bucks cheaper too), BUT

1. the steering wheel shift paddles are so cool!
2. it has a manual shifting mode under D mode
3. i talk on the phone and smoke while eat or drink and drive with my legs or elbows sometimes (yes its not too safe, dont judge me), so i really dont have an extra hand to shift
4. i just think the DSG looks better on my GTI..

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
I can see it being 50/50 in the US. I'd imagine 10% or less that get DSG in other parts of the world.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i read somewhere that 2/3-3/4 of the the population of GTI owners in England went with the DSG...

Carbon6

I just got a manual last week. This is my first new/manual/VW car. I freaking love it. I just taught myself how to drive it and it is so much fun. I don't ever plan on getting a automatic car again. There is so much more connection between the driver/road/vehicle.

Loz

Obviously being in the UK a manual has always been a preference for small cars unless you were a crumbly.
I have mostly had manuals as the old school autos were too slippy, if you know what I mean.
But after I read the technical insight on how the DSG works, I test drove one and ended up buying the GT as a DSG.
3 years later I have the GTD in DSG and it's great, especially as I can grab paddle and override the auto at any time without removing my hands from the wheel. As I live out in the sticks here, I drive around the lanes a lot and the the ability to keep my hands on the wheel and be able to change down with a click is just great.

My other 2 vehicles are manual, but they are expedition vehicles so no benefit...

Cheers
Lawrence

s2kguy

Ready to race!
I test drove the 6 spd manual before ordering the DSG. My last three cars were manuals (Z3 and 2 S2000s) and I enjoyed them. The GTI manual was a disappointment after driving the S2000s for 8 years. The shift lever throws were a little too long and the clutch was too light for my tastes. I guess the S2000 spoiled me for manuals. But I'm really enjoying the quick shifting DSG. Fun car to drive!