GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

ReznorsApostle

Ready to race!
my local dealership was barely open to the idea of me trying to tell them about the service bulletin.Said those numbers dont mean anything to him. He tried to assure me that theyre online w vw everyday and they would know. I go in for my curtousy check in august anyway so hopefully by then it will be more public and spread to all the dealers. He did say he'd make a note.
"yay"(sarcastic)

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
I went to my local dealer today, told the Service adviser about the rattle when doing hard acceleration, told him the rpm range etc. Left the car and a few hours later I get a call saying they did the 90 day inspection and the tech. couldnt find any rattles.

So I ended up going back taking the tech for a drive and when the rattle would occur, even though it was faint. The tech would say he couldn't hear anything and it was the turbo. I spoke to him in technical terms so he realized I had some knowledge. Got back to the dealer and gave him the TSB # from this thread, he did a search and read it.... I saw the part that needs to be ordered. Its a small C clamp/clip type thing. You could probably find something similar at home depot. I cant see how the dealer would charge $75 for such a thing. It clips onto the waste gate actuator rod where it meets the exhaust side of the turbo.

I'm sure those that are good with their hands could install it themselves. Part was ordered and should be at the dealer probably tuesday. I'll report back then.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
You're way over-thinking this....

This TSB can be located by calling your local dealer and having them check your VIN. The TSB has been issued and this clip plus install is covered under warranty.

No one is charging anyone for $75, stock or modified. No dealership should charge any of us for this part or labor.

Head back to the dealer and tell them you want this TSB serviced under warranty.

I have my appointment Tuesday for this and to get my squeaky door seals replaced to get rid of that annoying rattle.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That is incorrect, running your VIN will NOT make this pop up, it's a TSB, not an RVU or a Recall.

But I do agree with you regarding the cost... who cares about the price you don't have to
pay for it unless your car is out of warranty. Second why would you try to find something at Home Depot that would work in place of this and why the hell would anyone "good with their hands" even want to attempt to install this? Seriously, how do you come up the idea that you can rig something up with some cheap clips from home depot and fix this yourself if your mechanically inclined and that seems like a good idea over having VW fix it with a part they specifically designed to fix it, with no physical work or cost on your part?

IF YOUR FUCKING CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY IT DOESN'T COST YOU ANYTHING, IT'S FREE!!!!!! I'm not sure how to make that any clearer?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
That is incorrect, running your VIN will NOT make this pop up, it's a TSB, not an RVU or a Recall.

Got ya, with my dealership I called and said can you check for any updates or revisions for my car? They came up with this and another update for the steering wheel lock but I'm not flashing my ECU for that. I found this thread afterwards actually.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You can manually look up TSB's for a car but it does not pop it up on its own saying hey this needs to be done.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Today was the second visit to VW. The clip was installed this morning. I went home on side roads and residential streets to listen for the rattle. I am happy to say I do not hear it any longer. In a few days I will report back if I notice anything. For now please see the link to an image of the repair order from VW.
If you go to Donaldson's see Gerard the service advisor, he's a real nice guy.

Attachments

• wastegate clip.jpg
    wastegate clip.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if there's a website where you (the consumer) can check for TSB's and stuff, I've never made an effort to try and look, I have access to all VW's stuff and that's all I need.

michal

Go Kart Champion
There is a website when you can check all TSB's but if you want more details regarding the particular problem, you have to pay for it. And I do not know how often they update this site. Probably if a new TB was already officially released your dealer should have it available.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/62/106228b4.html

skully

Ready to race!
Today was the second visit to VW. The clip was installed this morning. I went home on side roads and residential streets to listen for the rattle. I am happy to say I do not hear it any longer. In a few days I will report back if I notice anything. For now please see the link to an image of the repair order from VW.
If you go to Donaldson's see Gerard the service advisor, he's a real nice guy.

I thought that weight they put on is supposed to be removed after the diagnosis is complete?