GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

michal

Go Kart Champion
Anyone NOT have this sound? I don't think I have this issue, but I am going Stage 2 tomorrow morning, maybe I'll hear it then?
I think that if you haven't had it so far, it's a min chance that you're going to have it after you install a downpipe. I've had this rattle since day one.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So how do I convince my stubborn dealer to get off their butt and look it up?!

Call VW customer care and tell them the truth, tell you have the rattle and you while talking to an out of state technician he informed you that VW released a fix and your dealer won't do it.

Or use it as way to weed out the shit dealers. If they don't want to help you tell them you will take your business elsewhere and hit em where it hurts.... on the customer satisfaction survey you get called or emailed with. (you only get one if you if there is a repair order, complain about the noise IF IT CAN BE DUPLICATED insist that they do the TSB. If they don't let them know on the survey, it affects them more than you know.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
My car is at the dealer for wind noise from the front doors and sunroof as well as rattles from the rear doors, possible wheel bearing issue (shaking at high speeds) and...WASTEGATE RATTLE...yay! Finally I can hopefully not sound like I'm driving a ford model t.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
We got them today.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Wow that part looks so much bigger than in the TSB picture... I bet with some heat cycles this clip will lose its strength.

This is starting to look like the WG issue 335's had... eventually most lemoned their cars.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting it has a Audi logo on it, I wonder if it was originally on Audi already, and was cost cut out of the VW...

Consider a lot of the NVH issue is resonance related, the added weight, along with the diagnostic method with wheel weight makes a lot of sense...

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Ohio to Chicago is a long ride but come on out :)

I haven't done any GTI's yet, we've done one passat and it worked. But John's will get it today.

This won't lead to a people able to lemon their cars, nothing is wrong with the car, is runs and operates as intended. This TSB is strictly for customer service.

If a bunch of people complained that they could hear the N80 valve clicking at idle you would be told it's normal, it's not a flaw, it's not broken, it's how it works, maybe one day with enough complaints VW will come out with a sound deadening wrap you can put around it to make it quieter... If people still complained because they can faintly here it still there is zero chance you car will be lemon lawed or bought back because or it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
But John's car doesn't have a problem with the wastegate rattle:laugh:

DUDE, IT'S REALLY BAD!!!! ;):D Michal, you will need it too ;)

Last edited:

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Ohio to Chicago is a long ride but come on out :)

I haven't done any GTI's yet, we've done one passat and it worked. But John's will get it today.

This won't lead to a people able to lemon their cars, nothing is wrong with the car, is runs and operates as intended. This TSB is strictly for customer service.

If a bunch of people complained that they could hear the N80 valve clicking at idle you would be told it's normal, it's not a flaw, it's not broken, it's how it works, maybe one day with enough complaints VW will come out with a sound deadening wrap you can put around it to make it quieter... If people still complained because they can faintly here it still there is zero chance you car will be lemon lawed or bought back because or it.

California law from what I know sides with the consumer. If the dealer fixes 1 problem or part 3 or more times you can lemon the car, doesn't matter what is repaired. This looks like a cheap fix for Vw, but doesn't look like something that would last with the car.

As for the N80 valve clicking... Yes Vw will claim its normal, but if they issue a 'fix' for the clicking, and that fix fails 3 or more times, then in CA you can lemon the car.

Once Vw issues a fix/tsb for the clip, they are acknowledging there's a problem.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
California law from what I know sides with the consumer. If the dealer fixes 1 problem or part 3 or more times you can lemon the car, doesn't matter what is repaired. This looks like a cheap fix for Vw, but doesn't look like something that would last with the car.

As for the N80 valve clicking... Yes Vw will claim its normal, but if they issue a 'fix' for the clicking, and that fix fails 3 or more times, then in CA you can lemon the car.

Once Vw issues a fix/tsb for the clip, they are acknowledging there's a problem.

doesnt the car have to be out of commission for so many days? and what would be 3 times here - you're dealer's tried to fix the rattle 2x already?