GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Whats going to cause it to fail overtime? The load we are talking about here is likely to be minute....no real difference to various clips and plugs that holds lots of other lines and cable in place elsewhere...

Heat would probably kill it, based on where its going but you do have a point there. You also have to keep in mind this clip is supposed to keep something down using its own tension. With the metal being heated up and cooled, I would believe the clip would lose its tension or even crack.

When you heat things up and cool it, they usually dont back to its original form 100%.

I wonder why this rattle happens with the K03 and not the K04 and how the actuators are different between the two models.

Sieran

Ready to race!
Heat would probably kill it, based on where its going but you do have a point there. You also have to keep in mind this clip is supposed to keep something down using its own tension. With the metal being heated up and cooled, I would believe the clip would lose its tension or even crack.

When you heat things up and cool it, they usually dont back to its original form 100%.

I wonder why this rattle happens with the K03 and not the K04 and how the actuators are different between the two models.

Dude, you are talking about just enough pressure to stop a rattle. A wheel weight was enough to "fix" the problem... you don't think that thick, heavy, big ass clip will be able to keep that amount of tension over time?

By your theory just about every clip, anchor, bolt, and screw that is anywhere near the exhaust or engine block should be failing every year. There are metals out there that have no problem dealing with an ambient cycle of a few hundred degrees F without losing much if any integrity. (Yes I know turbos can heat up well over 800C, but this is not mounted directly to that section and i doubt there is that much heat transfer through a rod)

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Just had the clip installed today. Safe to say, the issue is not fixed although the rattle is slightly dampened. I will be going in tomorrow for something else and I will ask them about it.

Dude, you are talking about just enough pressure to stop a rattle. A wheel weight was enough to "fix" the problem... you don't think that thick, heavy, big ass clip will be able to keep that amount of tension over time?...

Need I say more? ;)

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
No, you've said plenty already ;)

When you have something more concrete than I don't like this fix so it will fail feel free to chime back in, until then stick to the topic at hand.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
No, you've said plenty already ;)

When you have something more concrete than I don't like this fix so it will fail feel free to chime back in, until then stick to the topic at hand.

Sure thing, I'll shut up for a couple weeks and lets see what everyone thinks once they get the clip installed.

Stick to topic at hand? We've been doing it... discussing the WG clip. Since you have access do them, how rigid are they? :yikes:

P

plac

ive always thought a wastegate rod "weight" was complete stupid from the beginning.. and solves nothing.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion

luminaeus

I've had this issue since the test drive and during my six months of ownership it's actually gotten worse. I can get the rattle at 2100 rpm and hold it nice and loud all the way through to 2900 rpm. And by loud I mean loud like dragging a massive metal chain underneath my car.

Dealership installed the clip yesterday, and I would say that the noise is 95% removed. There is the briefest hint of rasp before it gets smothered in smooth engine and turbo sounds.

Aside from an APR ECU, my car is completely stock. The rattle is gone in stock tune and APR Stage 1 tune.

Overall, I am happy with the fix.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I've had this issue since the test drive and during my six months of ownership it's actually gotten worse. I can get the rattle at 2100 rpm and hold it nice and loud all the way through to 2900 rpm. And by loud I mean loud like dragging a massive metal chain underneath my car.

Dealership installed the clip yesterday, and I would say that the noise is 95% removed. There is the briefest hint of rasp before it gets smothered in smooth engine and turbo sounds.

Aside from an APR ECU, my car is completely stock. The rattle is gone in stock tune and APR Stage 1 tune.

Overall, I am happy with the fix.

Excellent! Thank you!

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
It's been a few days since I had the clip installed. I must confirm a huge improvement. I now hear the turbocharger whistle and air rushing as desired.
The fix is good!
Steve
2011 GTI DSG