GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT-RS/Golf R master cylinder

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I spent quite some time on the net doing research before deciding on the combination I was going to use, that's why I'm so curious on your results, please keep us updated

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Will do! I'm pretty intent on seeing this through, so I'll keep the updates rolling in pretty much in real time. With the holiday and new baby I only get a an hour or so at a time to work it but it's not going bad so far just makes me realize that when I thought I knew a lot about what I am doing here I actually don't know much! But I will by the time it's finished :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Got to get back in the garage for a bit today and I just can't seem to get the clip to release from the pedal. This is the view from the outside where you should be able to push the tabs in to release it. They are on both sides of the pedal and need to be squeezed or as LAGP suggested slide a screwdriver between plastic and metal from the back side but I can't seem to get any of the flatheads I have to work in. I'll give it another go later though.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice find.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So on the Touareg Booster with MC installed there are 4 electrical connections.

1. Attached to the bottom of the MC is the "gauge of brake pressure" the plug on the GTI that goes to the sensor on the MC fits here.

2. On the left side is the "potentiometer stroke diaphragm brake booster" this doesn't exist on the GTI and can be left unplugged?

3. On the right side ???? the wiring was in the same loom as the pressure gauge, but again doesn't exist on the GTI. This is a 5 pin connector and can be left unplugged?

4. On the reservoir cap the fluid level indicator. Which is the same shape and pin count as the GTI harness but the locking clip is 180* out from the Touareg cap. The GTI cap is a little different but I believe will work with a small modification. The little peg that acts as a stop on the reservoir needs to be trimmed.

Below link is a mirror image (LHD) of the booster I have, and how I got the above details.

Hoping the gaps can be filled in by @LAPG or someone else following the thread.

http://www.automanuals.biz/volkswagen/touareg/bleeding-major.html

LAGP

Ready to race!
The plug on the bottom of the MC is in fact a pressure sensor that reads how hard you press the pedal, but the signal is not compatible with the golf brake light, for this you need 2 logic signals 12 volt, one is on and shuts down when you depress the brake pedal the other one is just the opposite. I don't remember Pin assignment on the plug, but one terminal is ground and the others are 12v, you just need to connect your stock MC and measure each cable with a volt meter while pushing on the rod to activate the switch. On the Touareg the light switch is on the booster, I don't know what signals it puts out but they should follow the same logic.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
The plug on the bottom of the MC is in fact a pressure sensor that reads how hard you press the pedal, but the signal is not compatible with the golf brake light, for this you need 2 logic signals 12 volt, one is on and shuts down when you depress the brake pedal the other one is just the opposite. I don't remember Pin assignment on the plug, but one terminal is ground and the others are 12v, you just need to connect your stock MC and measure each cable with a volt meter while pushing on the rod to activate the switch. On the Touareg the light switch is on the booster, I don't know what signals it puts out but they should follow the same logic.

Thank you!

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
How does the GTI switch work? It has a large flat surface on the MC just under the rear brake line. Sort of looks like it uses magnets to get a reading but I don't feel any magnetic attraction when installing/uninstalling it. If I can just secure the GTI Sensor to the Touareg MC somehow and use it I'd be ok with that approach.

LAGP

Ready to race!
Yes it uses a magnetic field, the magnet is inside the MC, you wouldn't be able to use it on the new one because it doesn't have a magnet

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Yes it uses a magnetic field, the magnet is inside the MC, you wouldn't be able to use it on the new one because it doesn't have a magnet

That's what I figured... so I guess I'll start by getting it bolted up and mechanically functioning. If I like the pedal feel then I can go about figuring out the wiring... unless of course that signal is required to start the car :)

If I can avoid it I don't want to cut into the vehicle wiring harness. So I may need some time to track down appropriate terminals so I can just create a short adapter that bridges the mismatched plugs.

Definitely a bigger job than I initially thought but I'm not really on any kind of deadline so I have time to tinker.

I certainly see why you went the route you did though!

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So I physically have the booster and the MC in the car now.

However the tyrolsport bracket is an absolute no go, and the battery tray and battery don't fit because of clearance issues with the thicker booster. The brake lines of course need to be re-routed and the brake switch needs to be sorted out still.

On the plus side the booster has the same bolt pattern and requires no modification to the firewall to bolt in.

Next steps are to decide how bad I want this. I didn't really think about the need for relocating the battery or buying a lithium light weight battery into the equation...

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Wow.
Amazing.
How will you reroute the brake lines.
Also, you came all the way, what's another battery :p
Could you have used the GTI Booster instead?

drakore

Ready to race!
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the TTRS MC stamped with 25 or 25.4? I know the size is 25.4. I just got a MC from a 2008 TT and it's stamped 25.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk