GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UBER-STEALTH Under Floor Sub Install

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Main is simply gain for the "Main Output" line out ports that you won't use.

Bass is simply a gain on the "Bass Output" line out ports that you will use.

Accubass adjusts how much the bass is "boosted" from wherever you set the threshold. In other words, threshold sets where/when you start to increase the bass curve, and then the Accubass dial is by how much.

A phone DB meter will not be perfect, but should work for doing this.

Skirball

Ready to race!
Today I installed the JL Audio Remote Level Control knob. I suspected it would be a little tricky, and it was...

Really can’t thank you enough for the detailed install walkthrough. Getting the JL knob installed the first time might have been a bit of hassle without any guidance, but with your write-up it’s really damn simple. I think the whole thing took me 15 minutes.

I was able to get the plate to fit back in, with the JL knob, without trimming the tray like you did above. It just took some firm coercing. Locked in nice and tight – of course, I’m not sure how easy it’s coming back out. For prospective installers, I’d try to get it in without cutting first. I just did the one little notch in the tab on the blank, a couple mm wide. Knob slid right in. Pretty fricken stoked. Amp should arrive today. Cut out the MDF last night. Gonna screw everything down, wire it up, and pull the old box out of my truck to use until Nik’s box gets here.

Way happy with the final result. Forgive the crappy cell phone pics, it looks much better in person.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Cool! :thumbsup:

My only small complaint so far is that I can't see the little hash mark on the knob very well. I'm going to very carefully paint it white.

What's that other little button you have there? :confused:

Skirball

Ready to race!
Cool! :thumbsup:

My only small complaint so far is that I can't see the little hash mark on the knob very well. I'm going to very carefully paint it white.

What's that other little button you have there? :confused:

Yeah, I was going to do the same with the hash mark, but I didn't have any paint laying around last night so I put it on the To Do list.

The other button is my garage door opener. I hardwired the power to the 12V last night with some wire taps, originally I just had the battery laying in there because I knew I’d be back when I put this knob in. The led in the center doesn’t stick out as much as it does in the pic, it’s just reflecting the flash.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
That's a nice little button. Where did you get it?

Skirball

Ready to race!
That's a nice little button. Where did you get it?

I just picked it up at a local electronics shop called Marvac. I wasn’t sure about the LED at first, but I’m glad I have it because it lets me know that it’s working and that it isn’t locked on or something like that.

I really wanted to use this but I was worried it wouldn’t fit. It has 16mm threads and after doing that little button I put in I’m convinced it wouldn’t. There’s a black metal version on Amazon:

balius

Go Kart Champion
What wire did you guys end up running from the amp to the sub? I was looking at getting some monster cable wires, but not sure what I need. Also, does Nik's box come pre-wired?

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
Hey veedoubleme, just wanted to say thanks for the walk-through of the LC2i tuning, and the link to the mp3. I did it yesterday and my ears are still angry at me from the volume. I figured I'd set it up, since I paid for it, as I didn't realize that it made a difference with normal volume levels. I was stoked when I heard it kick in during some Tupac, good stuff.

Great job on your install. I've been following it for a while, very clean.

If anyone is wondering, it's pretty much the same, in terms of volume levels, with the RCD-310.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
What wire did you guys end up running from the amp to the sub? I was looking at getting some monster cable wires, but not sure what I need. Also, does Nik's box come pre-wired?

I used some left over high quality speaker wire that I had on hand. Any quality speaker wire will work fine. And yes, Nik's box comes pre-wired. :thumbsup:

Hey veedoubleme, just wanted to say thanks for the walk-through of the LC2i tuning, and the link to the mp3. I did it yesterday and my ears are still angry at me from the volume. I figured I'd set it up, since I paid for it, as I didn't realize that it made a difference with normal volume levels. I was stoked when I heard it kick in during some Tupac, good stuff.

Great job on your install. I've been following it for a while, very clean.

If anyone is wondering, it's pretty much the same, in terms of volume levels, with the RCD-310.

Thanks! :w00t:

balius

Go Kart Champion
Ok cool. I'll see if I have enough to do everything with the wire that came in the scosche kit. Just wasn't sure if there was I difference between the "sub" wire and the speaker wire when I was looking at monster's site. Thanks again for answering all my questions! :thumbsup:

Skirball

Ready to race!
Ok cool. I'll see if I have enough to do everything with the wire that came in the scosche kit. Just wasn't sure if there was I difference between the "sub" wire and the speaker wire when I was looking at monster's site. Thanks again for answering all my questions! :thumbsup:

Just putting my personal bias in here, but %$@*# Monster cables. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up 5' of 12 or 14 ga. for a couple of bucks.

Edit: Crap, now that I think about it, 5' ain't gonna cut it if I run it back behind the carpet and seat. ...back to Lowes...

Last edited:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Veedoubleme how did you get off the bottom trim pieces that run along the bottom of the B pillars.

If I recall correctly, it pops off like the other trim. Just go slow and take your time. I didn't force anything until I knew I could.

Top gear

Passed Driver's Ed
One last question Veedoubleme how did you know that the f spot in the fues box had a fuse in it slot. Did you add a fuse 1" back on the wire how big was it?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
One last question Veedoubleme how did you know that the f spot in the fues box had a fuse in it slot. Did you add a fuse 1" back on the wire how big was it?

The F spot on the fuse box doesn't have a fuse. It's on a terminal block that goes directly to the battery. The wiring kit I bought provided a fuse about 1' down the wire. You can't see it in any of the pics. I think it's a 50A fuse.