GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UNIbrace Discussion Thread

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
*shudder* hows that for a perm mod on your GTI.. would people really do that??

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
They are still sorting out issues with my xB. It was damaged and left at the door by UPS with a scratch and hardware missing from the box. I received the xB on October 30th. I have a show November 23rd and I'd really like to have it resolved/installed by then!

Sorry to hear man. I'm sure you've probably already been in touch with Bruce, but if not, definitely keep him in the loop. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

Does it make the biggest difference to handling to just install the UB? I may go further later, but want to do the most impactful one first, along with the most easy to install. I was thinking the UB would be the easiest and wondered if it was also the one out of all of them that would be best to do first.

As 2013R already mentioned, UB is the easiest install, but XB definitely gives you the biggest gains when installing only one brace.

My XB is squeaking like crazy. Anywhere I can get a bigger rivnut/Nutsert?

I'd contact Bruce at info@unibrace.com with this one. He might have some good advice for you.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I just JB welded it, I don't want to have to mess around. One stop fix. Not like it affects anything even if it's permanent.

zrickety

The Fixer
Finally did the XB today. First nutsert gave me some trouble, kept spinning. I finally made a flat bracket that held it in place and the other 3 were a breeze. Were there supposed to be 5 in the box? I only received 4.

GTItraveler

Ready to race!
zrickety: yes there should have been 5 nutserts and 4 Stainless steel fasteners. Glad it worked out. How's the drive? Bruce

Mr.President

Ready to race!
I have all three. The UB and RB were the easiest to install, the XB took the longest.

The XB instructions could have been better, by making them car-specific, since some pictures were from an MkIV and MkV, but they sufficed enough.

Oh and the nutsert tool was a mystery until the end of the install where we 3 "really smart guys" figured out what it was for.

All in all the car's chassis is stiffer, has a nicer feel to it and it definitely shows that it does it's job.

zrickety

The Fixer
Bruce, the drive is great. I haven't had a chance to really push it without my son in the car, but even in normal turns I can feel it. The rear is tight.
I looked again and found the 5th nutsert. I kind of mangled the first one, though it is in there. Is there a good way to remove a nutsert to replace it?

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Got all three braces installed yesterday. The XB install was done extremely carefully because drilling holes in bare metal of car makes me nervous. Stripped interior:

Then test fit the XB:

Then used metric size bits to drill pilot hole, then full sized (really tight) and then filed the holes for a nearly press fit. Only did the bottom two at first. Then once those were test fitted, marked the top two and put them in.

Used a heat gun on the metal / put the nutserts in the freezer also. To place them, didn't end up using the nutset tool at all because it seemed to be kind of undersized. Used a proper riveter that crushes/ crimps the pieces into place.

The brace in place:

The UB and RB were simple installs. RB took some banging around but it eventually fit in there. Unrelated - I noticed some scrapping on my sway bet too. May need to look into that.

Have driven about 45 miles so far. Car feels so solid that the only body flex noises I'm hearing are distinctly coming from plastic body panels. Turns and carves are solid and I scared myself turning so hard. But the car was completely firm in and through. The failure point here is the OE tires. With these great looking braces, lowering springs and some sway bars, the car is in a much better place right now.

If I add some new struts and perhaps some new control arms and/or ALK, I feel pretty great about how this little gokart will be rolling.