GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of Door Creaking & Flexing Sound

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Go to zorotools.com for the 3M UHMW tape. There's also a "value" brand on the site for a fraction of the cost, but the specs on that brand aren't as good as 3M.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So after none of the other solutions worked for me, I tried the anti-squeak / UHMW tape. The 3M stuff was kind of expensive ($3/yard), so I tried the generic stuff (under $1/yard).

Long story short, this stuff works! Pretty much got rid of all my creaks from the doors. One thing I found useful when applying the tape was to make sure the tape covered the areas on the door frame where BOTH the inner and outer seals touch. Just covering one or the other might not stop all the creaking.

Anyway, the car is SO much quieter now, love it. And you can barely see it (I got transparent for my CW car). Thanks for the tip man!

JuicyH8

WD-40

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I've had a lot of problems with this creaking and flexing sound. I get the exact same sound as in the video when I do the same thing.

After going through the entire thread I decided to go for the 3M 4525 tape, until I realised that it costs about 160 euros here in Sweden. I read that someone else tried WD-40 and a sponge, and when I noticed that the total cost for the WD-40 and a sponge was about 10 euros I decided to give it a go before I ordered the 3M 4525.

Said and done, I went to a store called Clas Ohlson here in Sweden, bought the WD-40 and a sponge and went home to try it out. Took me about 10 minutes to apply it to all the doors and doorframes.. and now.. the creaking is gone.

Sure thing, I'm posting this 30 minutes after I got done, but it did work. I'll post a update here when/if the creaking comes back.

Money well spent so far. :)

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Reading this thread I just ordered the 3M 6356 SQUEAK REDUCTION TAPE.

I also picked up some 1/4 hose from Lowes...

Will be interesting to see if this improves the noise I am hearing from one door right now.

BTW for you guys that installed the 1/4 hose, I could see pics of where the pipe would end on the rear of the doors, but do any of you have pics of how far down the front of the door you went with the pipe ? Tks

McQueen77

Banned
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I've had a lot of problems with this creaking and flexing sound. I get the exact same sound as in the video when I do the same thing.

After going through the entire thread I decided to go for the 3M 4525 tape, until I realised that it costs about 160 euros here in Sweden. I read that someone else tried WD-40 and a sponge, and when I noticed that the total cost for the WD-40 and a sponge was about 10 euros I decided to give it a go before I ordered the 3M 4525.

Said and done, I went to a store called Clas Ohlson here in Sweden, bought the WD-40 and a sponge and went home to try it out. Took me about 10 minutes to apply it to all the doors and doorframes.. and now.. the creaking is gone.

Sure thing, I'm posting this 30 minutes after I got done, but it did work. I'll post a update here when/if the creaking comes back.

Money well spent so far. :)

i don't know man, id try the felt tape or tubing, a one time install that will last many many months. WD40 is messy, greasy and i dont think it will last.

dparson

I bought a 2-door 2011 candy white GTI with 13,000 miles two weeks ago and didn't notice this problem during the test drive. After reading this thread I tried the 1/4" vinyl tubing from Lowe's for several days and it helped, maybe reducing the creaking by 70%, so it was still a little bothersome.

Tried the polyethylene tape next, going with the exact 3/4" wide variety as SwiftGTI suggested (thanks!). I removed the 1/4" tubing and have been driving with just the tape for the past 5 days. It has reduced the creaking by 90% so a good result. I've attached some pictures to show my installation.

Has anyone else tried realigning their doors to prevent the play at the top of them as falanku described?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=340978&postcount=240

I'm wondering if this addresses the underlying issue creating the creaking.

Attachments

• Tape 1.JPG
    Tape 1.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 732
  • Tape 2.JPG
    Tape 2.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 678
  • Tape 3.JPG
    Tape 3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 628

AUDI JUICE

Ready to race!
Looked all over town for the 3m tape, and couldnt find it. Finally just spent 30 seconds with spray wax and the noise is gone. I'll report back in with an update on how long it lasts

Wurmwood

I was having the same issues as everyone else with their doors. I tried the tubing method which worked for a while, till the tubing started to deform after being smashed to many times. I finally got frustrated and took it to the dealer, they readjusted the striker plate or whatever and it has been solid every since. Thank god!

mhayball

I had the same problem with my brand new R, I used Krytox GPL105 oil on the felt seals and found the creaking disappeared. Not sure if this product is meant for use on these, the oil absorbed straight into the felt? But the car is quiet now so will see how long it lasts.

astro_zombies

Ready to race!
I also applied the 3m anti squeak/friction tape along the top of the door frame. I also put a little square of it over the little black dot seal thing too. Took it around the block and made a few turns, the sound appears to be about 90% gone with the remaining noise either being from the rear door possibly.

Overall, happy so far but we shall see how long it lasts.

Big thanks for this thread, as this was very aggravating for me.