GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of Door Creaking & Flexing Sound

kec789

Ready to race!
Thanks all for this thread and everyone taking the time to post with options and updates. I just ordered a roll of the tape so hopefully that takes car of my small driver's side squeak! Once it arrives and I've thrown it on I'll post my results as well.

Love this forum....

astro_zombies

Ready to race!
Thanks all for this thread and everyone taking the time to post with options and updates. I just ordered a roll of the tape so hopefully that takes car of my small driver's side squeak! Once it arrives and I've thrown it on I'll post my results as well.

Love this forum....

Yeah man, if you were having the same flexing/creaking/groaning noise I was, the tape will do the trick. Today I heard nothing but relative silence, and it was nice.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
For those of you using the tube / wax method, make sure you clean your felt occasionally. Use rubbing alcohol or some other solvent on a rag and scrub your felt down. It will help keep the noise down longer.

kec789

Ready to race!
Praise the good Lord almighty!

Thank you ALL for adding to this thread and again pushing out necessary information to us all. I was having a small door squeak that was driving me insane. I read through this thread and followed SwiftGTI's advice and link to Zorotools to order some of the anti squeak tape. I ended up getting a size bigger than he did, as he suggested, to help cover things up easier.

This is what I ordered: http://www.zorotools.com/g/00093366/k-G4246347/

I would order 2 rolls of it as one only did my drivers side and half of the passenger side. I ordered my roll on MONDAY and it got here on Wednesday! I didn't pay for any faster shipping either. Killer service.

When I had finished my driver door I went for a drive and the squeak wasn't all gone. Upon further inspection I could see and hear that the felt piece on the door was a little "too long" and hitting the rubber on on my REAR door....THAT was causing the main squeak. I cut a small piece and put some on the end of the felt strip and also put a small piece on the rubber piece on the passenger door. NOISE GONE!!!

The only problem now is I can hear the tiny squeaks from the same thing on the other side of the damn car!!! LOL. But, I repeated the same process and now only get some squeaking from a good amount of body flex. I no longer get that irritating sound from just hitting a small pebble in the road or braking hard.

I am ordering a couple of more rolls for any future issues I may have. The stuff I got is strong, easy to work with, and simply made well.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
Just wondering if anyone has tried using Caulk Saver Foam backing material in 1/4" diameter? Kind of along the same line as using the 1/4" drip tubing but maybe with a little less give since it is solid foam.Thoughts?

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Just wondering if anyone has tried using Caulk Saver Foam backing material in 1/4" diameter? Kind of along the same line as using the 1/4" drip tubing but maybe with a little less give since it is solid foam.Thoughts?

Caulk saver foam will not work as well. It is too soft and will become flat. Vinyl tubing actually holds up a bit better. Now if there was a solid vinyl tube......

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
I figured that might be a problem with the caulk saver. I had some old 3/8" sitting around so I just placed some in the door for fitment testing. I just ended up buying some 1/4" caulk saver and 1/4" drip tubing just to do a little comparison. I'm not even 100% sure that the root cause of my rattles is due to this but figured it was a cheap and easy thing to try. We'll see how it goes. I'm just a little miffed that a brand new Golf R would have any of the these rattle gremlins to begin with (from 200 miles on).

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
Put the caulk saver 1/4" foam in last night....took all of 3 minutes to do all 4 doors. There is a noticeable improvement just with the foam alone, so I am happier. If the drip tubing works even better I'll be very pleased.

SHIPARCH

Spent the last three hours reading all 21 pages. I've had the squeaks on the door for about a week, the car is 9 months old today with 3000 miles and no rattles/squeaks should be present. I find it embarrassing having to put tape or tubbing on the door of a $28k car so will try the waxing where the seal meets the body. I wash my car once a week so adding the wax during this process will be okay.

Anyway thanks to all for finding the cause of the problem and solutions. I love this car and it's a shame this flexing and squeaking has become an annoyance, hopefully they fix this issue on the MKVII.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Spent the last three hours reading all 21 pages. I've had the squeaks on the door for about a week, the car is 9 months old today with 3000 miles and no rattles/squeaks should be present. I find it embarrassing having to put tape or tubbing on the door of a $28k car so will try the waxing where the seal meets the body. I wash my car once a week so adding the wax during this process will be okay.

Anyway thanks to all for finding the cause of the problem and solutions. I love this car and it's a shame this flexing and squeaking has become an annoyance, hopefully they fix this issue on the MKVII.

My car has been silent for over a year now after adding the tubing and lubing the latch mechanism.

SHIPARCH

Did the wax method today and it worked, good bye squeaking. Just used the regular Meguiars Carnuba Wax and took the car out for a drive, ended up driving half way around the city and the car is as it should be.

schwab019

Just wanted to share that I went to the dealer yesterday for my 10K service (only had 4800 miles in a year) and they 100% fixed the annoying gasket squeek in a couple of hours. The technician said the doors were put on way too tight, whatever that means. At any rate, if you want to learn exactly what they did you can call Santa Monica VW and ask for Roy in service.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Picked up some 1/4" OD clear vinyl tubing and stuffed it in the seal along the top of each door today. So far no more squealing! It's been getting really bad the past couple months, so this is fix is miraculous!

Have a few hundred miles ahead of me in the next few days, on some really crappy roads.. will see how it does!

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I did this felt thing about a month ago. Car has been silent ever since. I had the seals replaced and it was fine for about a month and then it was back to the fixing squeaking sound.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Drove about 175 miles with the vinyl tubing in today. It makes a huge difference, but still some squeaking/rattling on really bad roads... Don't want to resort to the felt, because I think it looks terrible... Maybe I'll try a slightly thicker vinyl tube; I have 1/4" OD, I think I have some 3/8" OD laying around in the garage I can try.

Last edited: