GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Do to Your TDI Today?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Sitting at the dealer since Saturday since it wouldn't start. Dealer said it was the starter that went out so they ordered the part and should be fixed sometime this week.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully it isn't an HPFP...

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Pretty sure even dealership mechanics can tell the differences between a starter failure and an HPFP failure...

Not like the symptoms are close or anything... :D

Tylaughter

Ready to race!
Steering wheel swap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saabstory

I am not the poster you quoted, but I'll be nice and answer anyway :D

How difficult was this?
Not very. Once you have all the parts necessary it takes about 20 minutes...

Is the airbag different to stock steering wheel?
Yes, if you have the round TDI style wheel with steering wheel controls. If you have the base model plastic wheel then it's the same airbag as the GTI style wheel.
and did you need a module or anything?
If you have a TDI already, and/or you already have steering wheel controls, then no. If you have a base model Golf/Jetta then yes. For you guys overseas, I believe it will work if you have the highline MFD? The half MFD will not work properly and you'll need a new module. I can't guarantee that, but I am pretty sure it is accurate.

And any warning lights? Thanks
As long as you don't screw something up, no.

You'll need a new wheel, the correct airbag to go with it, and the correct harness for the type of airbag you get.

There are dozens of threads over on TDIClub on the swap; with all the info you need including part numbers for most of it. :thumbsup:

Shutaro

Ready to race!
Oh yeah; and I just did my 70,000 mile service... Gonna hit 80K before she is 2 years old...

Yowzas...I'm hitting 30k next week at 15 months and thought I was bad. Sorry, man.

Tylaughter

Ready to race!
I am not the poster you quoted, but I'll be nice and answer anyway :D

Not very. Once you have all the parts necessary it takes about 20 minutes...

Yes, if you have the round TDI style wheel with steering wheel controls. If you have the base model plastic wheel then it's the same airbag as the GTI style wheel.
If you have a TDI already, and/or you already have steering wheel controls, then no. If you have a base model Golf/Jetta then yes. For you guys overseas, I believe it will work if you have the highline MFD? The half MFD will not work properly and you'll need a new module. I can't guarantee that, but I am pretty sure it is accurate.

As long as you don't screw something up, no.

You'll need a new wheel, the correct airbag to go with it, and the correct harness for the type of airbag you get.

There are dozens of threads over on TDIClub on the swap; with all the info you need including part numbers for most of it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for putting in the work for me! All his responses are correct according to my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laxmonstar

Passed Driver's Ed
How difficult was this?

Is the airbag different to stock steering wheel? and did you need a module or anything? And any warning lights? Thanks

I've done this, it is super easy. You do need a GTI airbag, the TDI one will not fit. All you need is a 12mm triple square bit and flat head.

Saabstory

I've done this, it is super easy. You do need a GTI airbag, the TDI one will not fit. All you need is a 12mm triple square bit and flat head.

But he is in London and driving a 1.4 TSI. Not sure what wheel or electronics he has over there. ;)

Saabstory

True; I was actually referring to whether the airbags were compatible (no idea which one is in a 1.4 TSI :D

afctom

Ready to race!
True; I was actually referring to whether the airbags were compatible (no idea which one is in a 1.4 TSI :D

Hey sorry for taking so long to reply.

I asked in the TDI thread because I think the TSI has the same steering wheel?

If I was able to reuse the airbag then that would be brilliant as it would save me a few hundred quid, but I wouldn't mind buying one with one already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Volks...ts_SM&fits=Plat_Gen:MK+VI&hash=item2c74c56a98

Something like that, seems 'reasonably' priced?

Im a little relucatant to be messing around with the steering wheel though, as I don't really have a clue what I'm doing... something could go badly wrong!!

Thanks for all your help by the way!