GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this part?

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
While installing the gfb dv+ the other day, I found this clip thing just sitting next the crevices of the subframe. It was obviously attached to something at one point. Anyone know what this is? Did it just fall off something and landed on the subframe? I did have my waterpump replaced about 10 months ago, so wondering if it might be something left behind. Although it's been 9000 or so miles since the wp replacement.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Wastegate rattle clip

pashley

Ready to race!
Yeah that is supposed to clip to the wastegate actuator rod. If you are hearing "rocks in a can" rattle around 2k rpms, then the clip must have come off. I dont think this is a standard part. I had to get this part aftermarketnto fix this issue.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
If you are hearing the rattle then yes, reinstall. It is pretty easy to do.

Here's a video diy.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Awesome...Thanks everyone. I'll try and reinstall it. I can't stand that rattle can noise on accelerations.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Damn I wonder if I need one these. I always thought it was just DSG chatter. I'll have to look into it but damn, $40 for a clip like that? Seems a little much.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
All it really does is apply a slight constant pressure to the actuator arm to keep it from vibrating at certain frequencies/rpms.

The clip goes on the rod and should fit snug. Maybe the previous owner didn't properly install the clip?

I had the rattle and it drove me insane, this clip DOES get rid of the noise.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Damn I wonder if I need one these. I always thought it was just DSG chatter. I'll have to look into it but damn, $40 for a clip like that? Seems a little much.

It is a little much, but the peace and quiet afterwards is worth it!

A good way to tell is if you're going up a slight grade or hill and next to a wall or building or something to bounce the sound back. Apply a load on the motor, say 4th gear around 2000-2500rpm or something and if you hear the tin-can-leaves-rustling-rattle-noise then you need this clip in your life.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I bought the car new. So did they start putting these in cars past 2012? It appears my gf's 2013 A3 doesn't rattle as much, so I'm assuming the clip is on her car (properly at least).

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
It is a little much, but the peace and quiet afterwards is worth it!

A good way to tell is if you're going up a slight grade or hill and next to a wall or building or something to bounce the sound back. Apply a load on the motor, say 4th gear around 2000-2500rpm or something and if you hear the tin-can-leaves-rustling-rattle-noise then you need this clip in your life.

Damn, I'm almost positive it does.

I'll have to crawl under there this weekend to check. I was just under there last weekend re-installing my DV+, too.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Was this a service bulletin? I thought I remember reading that.

I'm going to my dealer to get the new water pump installed on Saturday, I wonder if they'll hook me up with the clip.