GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm & DIY Install

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
HYDE16 Reviews - GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm & DIY Install

Product Description:
GruvenParts.com has now released these billet aluminum intake manifold linkage arms for the VW/Audi 1.8T and 2.0T engines!.

This GruvenParts.com billet linkage arm replaces the plastic intake manifold linkage arm found on p/n 06J-133-201-AS (06J133201AS) manifold, as well as manifold part numbers 06J-133-201-AL, 06J-133-201-G, 06J-133-201-BD (06J133201AL, 06J133201G, 06J133201BD).

As you already know if you are reading this, the OEM linkage arm is made from cheap plastic and becomes very brittle in the engine heat. The linkage arm socket often pops off of the ball on the manifold, rendering the variable intake manifold useless. This in turn causes a check engine light to illuminate as well as poor drivability, reduced power, and reduced fuel economy. Of course VW/Audi will not sell you *JUST* this part, you have to buy an entire new intake manifold to replace the cheap plastic linkage arm (with another cheap plastic linkage arm). While the manifold is pricey, the installation of the manifold and the entire manifold gasket set is where it will really cost you – most dealers and shops charge about $1,200 to remove/replace the intake manifold!

We think having to pay over $1,200 to replace a poorly designed plastic part on your intake manifold is ridiculous (and that’s putting it nicely). GruvenParts.com is now producing these linkage arms the way VW/Audi should have: from a solid chunk of 6061-T651 Aircraft Grade Aluminum on a 4 axis CNC milling center. Ours come with a special Delrin insert installed into the machined socket to precisely mate with the ball on the intake manifold. This provides excellent lubrication and unmatched strength. Did we mention Ours are Guaranteed for Life!

This part can be installed with the manifold on the engine. Unclip the 2 actuator halves and remove the long spring and rubber diaphragm within the actuator. Unclip the useless plastic linkage arm from the manifold ball (if it hasn’t done that on its own already). Reinstall the rubber diaphragm onto our billet link arm, slide it thru the actuator, then firmly snap it onto the ball. Replace the spring and snap the actuator halves together. This should take 10 minutes, and you can do this yourself – no need for $1,000 in labor to replace a whole manifold!

You asked us for it and we listened. Another great billet replacement part to rid your VW/Audi of the weak plastic parts! Ours are Guaranteed for Life! - Would VW / Audi say that about theirs ??!

Applications:
Volkswagen: Beetle, EOS, CC, Golf and Jetta V and VI, Passat B6, and Tiguan 1 and 2 with the 1.8T or 2.0T engine w/ intake manifold p/n 06J-133-201-AS (06J133201AS), as well as manifold part numbers 06J-133-201-AL, 06J-133-201-G, 06J-133-201-BD (06J133201AL, 06J133201G, 06J133201BD)

Audi: A3, TT, TT Coupe, TT Roadster 2007-2012 with the 1.8T or 2.0T engine w/ intake manifold p/n 06J-133-201-AS (06J133201AS), as well as manifold part numbers 06J-133-201-AL, 06J-133-201-G, 06J-133-201-BD (06J133201AL, 06J133201G, 06J133201BD)

Intake Manifold Failure:
I’m sure by now everyone is aware of the service bulletin to replace failing intake manifolds on the TSI engines with an improved intake manifold design (beefier actuator arm). As luck would have it, in the past few weeks I had a CEL with the dreaded P2015 code for “Intake manifold runner position sensor / switch circuit range / performance”. Using APR Mobile I was able to test the actuator motor and the manifold sensor independently. When manually moving the actuator, the “Runner Flap Position” ranged from 0 to 99.99%. After clearing the code and logging my drive, the “Runner Flap Position” ranged from 0 to 99.99%. At this point everything checked out but I still made the decision to add the GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm to be safe. One theory for the CEL and P2015 code was that the car sat for 3 hours with battery on and connected to a lithium trickle charger in order to update my VW navigation maps. The drain on the battery plus sitting outside overnight in the cold may not have allowed the “Runner Flap Position” to cycle completely from 0 to 99.99% during the car’s start up sequence.

Technical Bulletin:
Condition:
September 22, 2014 2038161 Supersedes Technical Bulletin V241402 dated September 8, 2014 to break out individual vehicle labor operations and time units in warranty table and update the manifold part number suffix.

MIL ON, DTCs P2014 or P2015 Intake Manifold Faults Stored in ECM Fault Memory
MIL ON and 1 or more of the following fault codes stored in the ECM fault memory:

DTC Description
P2014 Intake manifold runner position sensor / switch circuit
P2015 Intake manifold runner position sensor / switch circuit range / performance

Technical Background:
Failure of Intake manifold causing fault codes to be stored in the ECM.

Production Solution:
Improved intake manifold design.

Service:
1. Perform the Intake Manifold Limited Warranty Extension (see Repair Manual Group 24 Multiport Fuel Injection, Removal and Installation Intake Manifold with Fuel Rail in Elsa).
2. After performing Intake Manifold Limited Warranty Extension, add fuel additive G 001780M3 to the fuel tank. Also, refer the customer to brochure 2014 VW Top Tier Fuel (VWTOPTIERJAN14) and explain the benefits of using Top-Tier fuels as indicated in Technical Bulletin 2014815.

Installation:
First, thanks to Hockeystar17mnj for helping with the install in my space-heated garage. Installation was extremely simple and took all of 10 minutes. Carefully remove the plunger cap by prying the clips one at a time. I want to state this again, CAREFULLY pry the tabs off for the plunger cap, the only way to replace this part is a new manifold. Pop off the actuator end from the ball on the intake manifold. Clean and swap the rubber diaphragm, reinstall the new GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm, connect the end with delrin insert over the ball on the intake manifold, make sure the rubber diaphragm is seated properly then re-install the spring and plunger cap.

Comparison:

Remove Plunger Cap:

Remove Plunger Cap & Spring:

Disconnect Actuator Arm From Ball On Intake Manifold:

Remove Actuator Arm:

Remove Rubber Diaphram, Clean and Carefully Install On GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm:

Make Sure Larger Delrin Opening Faces Passenger Side To Precisely Mate With Ball On Intake Manifold:

Make Sure Rubber Diaphram Is Seated Properly:

Connect Actuator Arm To Ball On Intake Manifold:

Reinstall Plunger Cap & Spring:

Finished Look:

Overall Feedback & Impressions:
High quality part, simple install, upgraded but still a subtle look and hopefully no future intake manifold failures. After install I logged “Runner Flap Position” again to verify that it still ranged from 0 to 99.99%. Data looked exactly the same as it should since the GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm is a perfect replication of the plastic linkage arm but much stronger. I waited a few weeks to post this review, knock on wood, I have not had any intake manifold related codes since. The GruvenParts 2.0T Billet Intake Manifold Linkage Arm looks great and is not going anywhere thanks to the snug delrin insert.

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Ryan, nice review and information as always.

I've had this piece on my car for months. I had it installed as a preventative measure. It is a very nice and well built piece. It was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
hmmm, I haven't had any manifold issues yet but I may pick this up to be preventative.

Yeah, I've had mine on there for over a year. I'd like to believe it's helping to prevent a failure from happening. :thumbup:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Can this be used as a repair after the factory piece fails, or is more a preventative measure?

zrickety

The Fixer
Great review. But when my manifold failed it was not the arm. I think it was gunk or a bad sensor, but they just swap the whole thing. Revised manifolds are supposed to be stronger, we are all covered to 12 yr/120k.

Last edited:

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Glad everything is working out with this part. Ive had this on my car for about a year and a half. Not one issue with my intake manifold made in december 2009 on my 2010 gti

zrickety

The Fixer
How many miles?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Ordered. Mine hasn't failed yet but good for piece of mind. Thanks Hyde.