GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Grandturismo

Ready to race!
Sounds like you finally got to the source of that problem Lucas, great write up and fingers crossed that's resolved the issue you were having.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
^ thanks dopedpanda for that info - it gave me the motivation to try this.....

I think im onto something here....?

Of course you are on to something, you got the link from me ;):thumbsup::p

Problem is the same hole you use to clean it, it allows the oil residue and vapour to get inside and clunk it up where there is no "flow" to keep it clean.

Nearly seen that as much as the chains themselfe rattle (especially the smaller engines that i don´t think you have over in the states) though last time i mentioned it, people just responded with a "NO, thats not right, wtf is wrong with you?"

So glad to see someone actually try it out.

zrickety

The Fixer
I get some intermittent rattle after startup, I thought maybe it was an injector but I will keep this in mind. Good info.

ST59GTI

^ yours looks the same as mine (see my post about 4 posts up the page with photos). The only difference i can see is that your tensioner is sticking out another 1 or 2 ribs than mine.

Like you, mine still rattles despite the new tensioner.....so im now wondering if it could be the other tensioner which is just under/behind the cam chain tensioner (the other tensioner runs the chain for the oil pump and 2 balancer shafts).

Useful info thanks. As you know as we discussed a few month back on this thread I also have the lastest tensioner and also still have the cold start rattle most of the time, although not as bad as pre tensioner change.

I have noticed two things:

1) If the I start the car from cold it will rattle. Run the engine for 10 secs then stop. If I leave the car overnight, unpon a cold start it will not rattle, everytime. My thinking is the oil is still cold (thinker) and therefore does not run out of the tensioner housing (drop oil pressure).

2) If I park the car on a inclined this does seem to have an effect on the cold start rattle also. i.e. I park with the front of the car inclined (front higher than rear) I do not get a rattle. If the car is declined (rear higher than front) I get a rattle. Again, my thinking is the oil is not running out of the tensioner housing with the car parked inclined.

For the record, I have photo taken through my inspection hole of chain cover and my tensioner & rib clip looks as per yours - same number of 'ribs' showing and clip position.

I am interested how your cold starts go over the coming weeks after your cleaning, if it works I definately give it a go.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Does this tensioner fail when driving the car hard or it can happen any time? Is this something I can prevent from happening or should I consider taking it to the stealership for an upgrade for a piece of mind? How much would they charge? Or should I even worry about it and hope it does not fail?

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I've only heard of them failing at startup, when the lock has failed and there is no oil pressure yet.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Well, I spent $800 on the past weekend to replace the whole setup. Timing chain, tensioner, guides and apparently some other small part that's also been revised and pinpointed as an issue.

Just as a point of interest folks: My car has been Revo Stage 1 since 1000km on the clock. Then at 20,000km I went stage 2, and at 38,000km I went to Unitronic Stage 2+ K04.

I asked my mechanic if he saw any marks on the timing chain tensioner that would indicate slip and he said there were no marks at all.

My car is a 2011 MK6 GTi DSG and I had ALL of the old revisions on my setup.

Either way, I'm glad my stuff has been upgraded and I've got some peace of mind about it.

My 2cents: Get this done on your car if you intend on keeping it.

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Well ive ordered a new camshaft adjuster magnet from ECS Tuning and its currently on its way over to me in Australia. Trust VW to change the electrical plug from the original part to the revised part (honestly…why?) so I’ve also had to order a new 2 pin plug and a repair wire so that I can hook it up. The revised magnet has a black plastic body so it’s easy to see whether your car already has this part or not.

Link to the revised part - note that the option that comes with a new plug is actually cheaper than the version that does not come with a new plug??: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/06L109259A/

Cleaning my original camshaft adjuster magnet seemed to help with the noise for a few weeks, but it has come back.

We do actually have the smaller engines here in Australia (1.2T, 1.4T, 1.4twincharge etc) in both the Golf and Polo and we have a few people over here complaining of startup rattles. Some of these people have also had issues with timing chains /tensioners failing.

Of course you are on to something, you got the link from me ;):thumbsup::p

Problem is the same hole you use to clean it, it allows the oil residue and vapour to get inside and clunk it up where there is no "flow" to keep it clean.

Nearly seen that as much as the chains themselfe rattle (especially the smaller engines that i don´t think you have over in the states) though last time i mentioned it, people just responded with a "NO, thats not right, wtf is wrong with you?"

So glad to see someone actually try it out.

With mine, on hot starts (eg engine has only been off for 1-30mins) it will pretty much never rattle. But if left for an hour or more when the engine cools off a bit more it will quite often rattle on startup. I don’t often park on hills so I can’t comment on whether this has any effect on the rattle.

On proper cold starts (after being parked overnight etc) it will almost always rattle on startup. On the rare occasion it will not, but 9/10 times it will.

I honestly have no idea whether the new camshaft adjuster magnet ive ordered will have ANY effect, but im slowly going mad and willing to try just about anything – especially given its quite cheap.

Useful info thanks. As you know as we discussed a few month back on this thread I also have the lastest tensioner and also still have the cold start rattle most of the time, although not as bad as pre tensioner change.

I have noticed two things:

1) If the I start the car from cold it will rattle. Run the engine for 10 secs then stop. If I leave the car overnight, upon a cold start it will not rattle, everytime. My thinking is the oil is still cold (thinker) and therefore does not run out of the tensioner housing (drop oil pressure).

2) If I park the car on a inclined this does seem to have an effect on the cold start rattle also. i.e. I park with the front of the car inclined (front higher than rear) I do not get a rattle. If the car is declined (rear higher than front) I get a rattle. Again, my thinking is the oil is not running out of the tensioner housing with the car parked inclined.

For the record, I have photo taken through my inspection hole of chain cover and my tensioner & rib clip looks as per yours - same number of 'ribs' showing and clip position.

I am interested how your cold starts go over the coming weeks after your cleaning, if it works I definitely give it a go.

Last edited:

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone, I purchased an OEM Timing chain Tensioner and various parts for the install including the timing chain cover and bolts. I bought these when I had the rattle, but mine failed before I had the chance to install. I'm on my new engine and I feel like I wont need this anymore.

Everything is still in the box, brand new from the VW dealer.

PM for details. I hope I can help one of you guys out. :)

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Well ive ordered a new camshaft adjuster magnet from ECS Tuning and its currently on its way over to me in Australia. Trust VW to change the electrical plug from the original part to the revised part (honestly…why?) so I’ve also had to order a new 2 pin plug and a repair wire so that I can hook it up. The revised magnet has a black plastic body so it’s easy to see whether your car already has this part or not.

Link to the revised part - note that the option that comes with a new plug is actually cheaper than the version that does not come with a new plug??: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/06L109259A/

Cleaning my original camshaft adjuster magnet seemed to help with the noise for a few weeks, but it has come back.

We do actually have the smaller engines here in Australia (1.2T, 1.4T, 1.4twincharge etc) in both the Golf and Polo and we have a few people over here complaining of startup rattles. Some of these people have also had issues with timing chains /tensioners failing.

With mine, on hot starts (eg engine has only been off for 1-30mins) it will pretty much never rattle. But if left for an hour or more when the engine cools off a bit more it will quite often rattle on startup. I don’t often park on hills so I can’t comment on whether this has any effect on the rattle.

On proper cold starts (after being parked overnight etc) it will almost always rattle on startup. On the rare occasion it will not, but 9/10 times it will.

I honestly have no idea whether the new camshaft adjuster magnet ive ordered will have ANY effect, but im slowly going mad and willing to try just about anything – especially given its quite cheap.

Did you install this? Does it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverBullet1

I've recently had the very same symptoms.

Started up after being parked on a hill for a few hours, immediate misfire. shaky engine all the symptoms mentioned within this thread.

called the roadside assistance had the car taken to the dealership.

The dealership then found a hole in the intake manifold, which my aftermarket warranty covered.
After replacement, the car would not start, they tested for compression, and found no compression and decided to take off the cylinder head.

Valves were bent, but the weird part is the dealership says the timing chain was on its mark and did not skip any teeth.

So my question is how would the valves have bent if the timing was not out ?

Further more, it is my understanding the dealership had not done any ecu diagnostics before removing the cylinder head, leaving me with no ecu codes of any sort to report to the aftermarket warranty.

The dealership then wrote a report based on what they've seen and now claim the timing was in fact out but this was caused by a backfire, which in turn burnt a hole in the intake manifold.

sounds funny to me...

all symptoms sound like tensioner failure, but no mention of this failing from the dealership.

Aftermarket warranty is demanding a more conclusive report from the dealership, and they seem unable to provide it, leaving me at risk.

ps attached is a pic of my car which i miss. its been 5 weeks now and still battling.

Last edited:

NLeo

Ready to race!
It was -10 here today -30f with the windchill and i got the rattle on start up twice at school both times were cold starts. It did it today a lot worse than normal but i was wondering did the rattle stop for you guys once you gave it some gas? I got a video on my phone of it rattling then i rev it another 100-200 rpm and it stops until i take my foot off the gas pedal and then it rattles again till the car warms up. Just changed the oil a couple weeks ago so i know its not low on oil already.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
It was -10 here today -30f with the windchill and i got the rattle on start up twice at school both times were cold starts. It did it today a lot worse than normal but i was wondering did the rattle stop for you guys once you gave it some gas? I got a video on my phone of it rattling then i rev it another 100-200 rpm and it stops until i take my foot off the gas pedal and then it rattles again till the car warms up. Just changed the oil a couple weeks ago so i know its not low on oil already.

If it rattles all the time you have problem. Its "normal" to rattle for a few seconds before there is oil pressure in low weather, but not more than that.

If you rev the engine, you raise the oil pressure. But -10 is also pretty cold.

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you install this? Does it help?

Sorry for my late reply, i only look on here every now and then. New part fitted but the engine still rattles on cold starts. Very annoying, but i will keep trying other ideas.

I've recently had the very same symptoms.

Started up after being parked on a hill for a few hours, immediate misfire. shaky engine all the symptoms mentioned within this thread.

ps attached is a pic of my car which i miss. its been 5 weeks now and still battling.

Sorry to hear - hope your warranty works for you. But that is one very nice looking Mk6 GTI you have there, i love them in silver.