GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Launch Control Question

Kaenon

Ready to race!
Here are a couple launches I did. The first was when I was still stock and still learning how to use LC. I held the rpm's at 3k and pretty much spun my tires for all of first gear. The second video is with stage 2 and I learned the sweet spot for launching is around 2100 rpm's. The tires hook up well, but the DSG effed me and shifted into second a bit too soon. I've launched perfectly a few times, but unfortunately it wasn't being filmed. :/

Pretty awesome.

I used it for the first time today. I'm completely stock, so I think I can rev a little higher. I was at 2,400 and didn't get much tire spin.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I think my launch control is gone. I did an ESC defeat and now the max I can rev up to is 2k before it start bouncing rev's. Even then my launch is very gentle.

Ok I went back and tried again. So I pulled up to the stop, turned off ESC and went to S-mode. Floored it till it just touched 3k and let go of the brakes. So I did get tire spin this time.

My understanding is if launch control is activated that is the only time you can rev to 3k correct?

Another weird thing is once I drove home and turned off the car the fans stayed on for about 30seconds. Ambient temp was 70F and I only took the car on that one launch.

Did I break my car?

Last edited:

swervinVI

Ready to race!
I think my launch control is gone. I did an ESC defeat and now the max I can rev up to is 2k before it start bouncing rev's. Even then my launch is very gentle.

Ok I went back and tried again. So I pulled up to the stop, turned off ESC and went to S-mode. Floored it till it just touched 3k and let go of the brakes. So I did get tire spin this time.

My understanding is if launch control is activated that is the only time you can rev to 3k correct?

Another weird thing is once I drove home and turned off the car the fans stayed on for about 30seconds. Ambient temp was 70F and I only took the car on that one launch.

Did I break my car?

You didn't let it cool down long enough, so the fans stayed on like a turbo timer. You gotta leave it running for a bit longer than usual after hard drives. Hopefully you are letting it cool down before shutting it off after normal drives.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
The real question here should be, how much does launch control shorten the life of the clutches in your transmission. Most BMW owners with smg transmissions will tell you it shouldn't be used more than five times. I also know the owner of Ferrari Scud who refuses to use his because of the extremely high cost of replacing the clutch pacs. Use it as much as you like just don't complain when you have to have that dsg rebuilt.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
The real question here should be, how much does launch control shorten the life of the clutches in your transmission. Most BMW owners with smg transmissions will tell you it shouldn't be used more than five times. I also know the owner of Ferrari Scud who refuses to use his because of the extremely high cost of replacing the clutch pacs. Use it as much as you like just don't complain when you have to have that dsg rebuilt.

The VW unit seems to be very overbuilt, I have over 150 1/4 mile runs using launch control on sticky tires along with 20 track days and auto x runs, as well as 55,000 hard ass street miles with no issues. I do change the fluid every 20k though instead of the recommended 40k interval... cheap insurance as it cost me about $150 to do it myself.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
TMSRacing and MrBikle are two MVK FSI guys with DSG, both are pushing near 600whp and do LOTS of drag racing. They both run low 11s on STOCK dsg (no lsd, only software once they hit 500whp).
neither have had issues as of yet

MarineOnline03

Ready to race!
Tried L/C for the first time today ...... holy sh........ had to use two hands on the wheel. Two thumbs up for this feature. Spun like hell though, any advice on how to "correctly" use L/C?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
On the test drive dealer made a point of showing me launch control and how it was dead straight just lightly holding tip of his finger on the top of the steering wheel.
Maybe that's how to correctly do it!!
Launch control does spin the wheels like hell. You are doing it right then and not chickening out.

zrickety

The Fixer
Bump for a great read. I do my own launches but I want to try this after the next service. 120k k04...

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION IM A APR STAGE 2 MK6 GTI. NOW THE NEWEST APR SOFTWARE IS NICE BUT STUPID AT THE SAME TIME. YOU CANT DO 2 STEP IN A DSG .

THE LAUNCH CONTROL SOUNDS AS IF I WERE STOCK. BUT TODAY TWICE I DID LAUNCH CONTROL AND IT SOUNDED LIKE 2 STEP AND THE RS3 AUDI LAUNCH CONTROL. IS THERE SOME TYPE OF TECHNIQUE OR WAS THAT LIKE A HALFWAY ENGAGED LAUNCH CONTROL?? IT SOUNDED AWESOME AND IM NOT SURE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

2.0T Dan

GUYS I HAVE A QUESTION IM A APR STAGE 2 MK6 GTI. NOW THE NEWEST APR SOFTWARE IS NICE BUT STUPID AT THE SAME TIME. YOU CANT DO 2 STEP IN A DSG .

THE LAUNCH CONTROL SOUNDS AS IF I WERE STOCK. BUT TODAY TWICE I DID LAUNCH CONTROL AND IT SOUNDED LIKE 2 STEP AND THE RS3 AUDI LAUNCH CONTROL. IS THERE SOME TYPE OF TECHNIQUE OR WAS THAT LIKE A HALFWAY ENGAGED LAUNCH CONTROL?? IT SOUNDED AWESOME AND IM NOT SURE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

Sometimes when I am waiting for traffic when I am making a U-turn I will rev the car for fun. One day I was doing this through launch control (a little dangerous I know, just don't let go of the brake). If the wheel is turned past a certain angle, and you start to use launch control you will hear the car 2 Step. I have wondered if there is any way I could do a boosted launch. It seems silly that this feature is there when I can't use it to launch, but it sounds awesome. That and the Neutral rev limiter are great for showing off. Btw I believe this is only on the new Apr v2.4 tune. They used the have it on the neutral rev limiter (old v2 tune) but now we have them both :lol:

Last edited: