GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil supply line gasket?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I'm gunna lose my mind with this drip. Another round of rechecking the bolts and trying to find the source.

The problem is when I have the car up in the air, and idling or revving the engine - no drip. Then after an aggressive drive, I get this

Resulting in this!

But by the time I have the car in the air again, the drip has subsided and I can't tell the source anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
I'm gunna lose my mind with this drip. Another round of rechecking the bolts and trying to find the source.

The problem is when I have the car up in the air, and idling or revving the engine - no drip. Then after an aggressive drive, I get this

Resulting in this!

But by the time I have the car in the air again, the drip has subsided and I can't tell the source anymore.

Sure it's not coming down from anywhere? Not blowing from the turbo outlet or anything?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
The outlet piping is dry ... I installed a catch can about a week before the F23T.... there is a bit of oil on the elbow at the turbo outlet, but when I pulled it out the other day, there was no oil at all inside the piping ... so it's coming from somewhere else and just misting the elbow.

It's gotta be the return or supply where it meets the engine - I'm just at a loss about how! I haven't tried to put a gasket on the supply yet ... I need to go to the stealer ship tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask the service tech there about doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Just got the ETKA diagram for the oil lines... there's definitely not a gasket on that supply line, but the O-Ring VW stocks for it (N-900-672-02) is definitely thicker than the one that came installed on the line I bought from ECS Tuning.

Going to change out the O-Rings tonight and see how it goes.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Swapped out the O-Ring, which was just a hair thicker ... I also replaced the return line gasket again, and this time I dressed it with a thin layer of Permatex Ultra Copper on both sides.

Going to let it set and we'll see how I did.

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Okay so the new plan is to completely remove the return line, and disconnect the supply line again. Clean all the surfaces with a brake parts cleaner, reinstall again using all new gaskets, properly dressed with a 24 hour cure time, and I'm going to seal the supply line with a thin bead of RTV as well.

Getting really sick of this nonsense

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Well - just replaced the gaskets on the oil return line ... AGAIN. Dressed them with permatex and will let them sit over night to cure.

I also replaced the M6x16 bolts with M6x12 to make sure I wasn't bottoming out and not getting a tight seal. The factory bolt is M6x15, so it's possible - but not likely - that the 16 was too long. The 12 has more than enough length, so hopefully it gets a better seal.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I think I *might* have it fixed now ... now sure if it was the shorter bolts or the gasket sealant ... but considering I'm not aware of anyone else using sealant in those, and my service tech at the dealership says he always puts them on dry - I'm going to say the M6x1.0x16 bolt is too long to replace the factory x15 length bolt.

There's still a small oil drip after my test drive, but when I got back under I saw no accumulation or drops formed on the lines.

I think it's just condensation pulling the oil that's already sprayed around the area down with it.

Going to clean and degrease the engine bay, and then we'll see!

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Good news is the turbo lines are no longer leaking.

Bad news is the back of the engine just below the manifold is like crazy. Started a new thread :/