GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

100,000 mile review

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I purchased this car in October of 2009. It was the second MkVI GTI my local dealership received, and the first with a manual clutch. Because it's a 2010 it had the ala-carte option list, and I chose the sunroof, adaptable HIDs, and Dynaudio. I believe the only two options I did not select were leather and nav, because I wanted me some sweet sweet plaid seats.

Current state:
100% stock, if you don't count the non OEM tires (Bridgestone RE760) and tinted windows.

How I use it:
Mostly as a daily driver. While I'd love to get it on a track, I haven't taken it to any track days. The hardest use it's received is on my various "sport tours" where I find the squiggly lines on Google Maps and drive them. Usually this leads to a track day's worth of "abuse" to the car, as it'll spend hours in the upper RPMs bombing through corners as fast as I feel safe.

How I care for it:
Strict adherence to Volkswagen prescribed maintenance schedule, nothing more, nothing less.

What's gone wrong:
- Electrical issue at under 10k miles that caused an awful noise from the stereo, fixed under warranty and hasn't returned.
- Intake manifold failed at ~90k miles, fixed under warranty.
- That's it, the GTI has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

What's worn out:
- OEM suspension needs some work. The shocks' low speed dampening isn't quite what it used to be, and while they're not blown the transition into corners isn't as well controlled as it used to be. I've also noticed some cracking in the rear position bushings on the front control arms.
- Rear brake pads replaced at 60k, the front brake pads are still original and appear to have been designed to outlast the rest of the car.
- Engine mounts are feeling pretty floppy.
- Oil seepage from cylinder head cover; ~1 qt lost every 10k miles
- On its third battery
- Headliner is drooping a bit under the sun visors
- Some noticeable wear on random plastic interior pieces
- Driver's seat bolster, door side, is showing some fraying
- Note: I'm being nitpicky, but I'm not complaining. I'm extremely impressed at how tight the car still feels after 100k miles.

What I like:
- I didn’t realize how much I loved an engine with a healthy mid-range until this car. That wave of torque combined with that gearing is fantastic.
- Great handling balance, very easy to control at the limit.
- XDS doesn't get enough praise, IMO its biggest shortcoming is not providing the driver with enough feedback when it's operating, like a mechanical limited-slip would. In practice it feels about 75% as effective as a mechanical limited-slip at getting the power down, maybe a touch better if you're good at sensing it working and feathering the throttle just right to get the most out of it. The problem is that it's just so easy to overwhelm with too much throttle.
- Adaptable headlights are magical at night when you're running your brights on a curvy road.
- Firm, but not punishing ride quality.
- Great seats. Keeping with the overriding theme of the car, perfect balance between sport and comfort. My then wife-to-be loved the plaid so much she married me.
- Overall the interior is just fantastic. VW could have just released it and it would still hold up against the current competition. Not only that, but it's held up quite well too, it's been far more durable than I expected.

What I don't like:
- The "ESP OFF" button does not do what it says it's supposed to do. Had I known, I would not have purchased this car. The upside to this is that it has taught me to drive the car better to keep it from turning on, the downside is that it's a shame that such an easy to balance car can't let the rear hang out.
- The brakes feel "meh." I've read some praise, but they just feel mushy to me. To be fair my last car had very good, firm, direct brakes. Thankfully there are cheap ways to fix this on the aftermarket, which I intend to get to.
- I should have bought the four door version. Not a fault of the car, obviously, but that extra door would make the child's seat easier to deal with.

What I intend to change in the relatively near future:
- Bilstein HD shocks, probably with an ECS tuning mount kit
- Control arm bushings, rear position, may as well go with the S3 mounts
- Tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening kit
- S3 shifter with metal bushing kit(s) to replace old rubber parts
- BFI stage 1 drivetrain mounts. I'm open to suggestions, I want slightly stiffer than stock, but this is not a race car

Cars I could replace it with (but probably won't):
- Fiesta ST - but probably won't because car seats are a snug fit
- Mazda3 - but probably won't because I still like my current car more
- GTI, MkVII - but probably won't because my current GTI has life left in it (MkVIII maybe?)

TLDR: Best car I've ever owned.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
You made it 100K without getting a tune?

You are a god among men. Good review. Now go get tuned :)

Ha, yeah.... I should have jumped on that a while ago. My main apprehension with doing that now is what it'll do to what's left of my still perfectly serviceable original clutch.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
You made it 100K without getting a tune?

You are a god among men
. Good review. Now go get tuned :)

:word:

Nice review Man!
Similar like yours, I got mine in Oct. 2009 - I didn't even like it at first, in my head while the DSG was the shit as option finally, the idea to have a 4 door GTI was against mother nature (sacrilege), it slowly grew up on me, plus the color & while is not a Corrado SLC ( Favorite Vdub), I like it & getting to that point of attachment as car to leave it at home for the kids.
Awesome you have yours in stock condition, I wish I could have strength at the time of not had change a thing.. some tweaks I have done mods here and there, it has around 112K miles right now. Some things I would like to add, but rather invite people read the build, to not get bored. As for replacement cars, the sky is the limit these days..

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
if only other owners have hadn't have problem "free" issues like you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I also had a couple warranty repairs but nothing that stopped the car from driving. My 2010 has basically been the same as yours, dependable and not in a hurry to replace it. I'm almost to 110k. Don't sweat the 2 door, access is just as good as the 4 door IMO.

kram

Ready to race!
Higher-mileage, stocker checking in... :eek:

Glad you've had no issues! I feel the same about my car...been super reliable. I'm at 85k & only issue I've had was the intake manifold replaced under warranty.

I did just have the tensioner updated & carbon cleaning done...car feels brand new. Also replaced all pads/rotors (tho probably didn't need to...fronts had a TON of life left) & put in the Tyrolsport brake-stiffeners...good upgrade for sure.

You mentioned getting the S3 shifter...I have it & it's ok. Not all that noticeable over the stock shifter. I have a DG shifter that I'm going to replace it with one of these days.

I'm gonna bite the bullet soon & finally tune this thing. :D

EDIT: One other thing I have to do that I noticed recently... My oil pan is rusting/pitting really badly. I do a lot of highway driving, so maybe that has accelerated it...dunno. But, I have to either paint it or replace it...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thats awesome man. So much negativity its nice to have a few post praising the good sides and non issues. Which most people dont realize that a praise thread is the least common thread and thats why the GTI is perceived as this maintenance monster with every water pump failing etc.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been stuck playing Fallout 4. I'm sure a few of you can relate.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who's had a great experience with this car. With all the grumbling that goes on on all the forums I thought it'd be nice to drop a "happy" post in there.

kram - overall I'm pleased with the shift length and effort of the stock shifter. What I'd like to improve is feel... if I can increase the sensation of what's going on in the gearbox, things turning, syncro engagement, that'd be perfect. I'm not really looking to make it "snick-snick" or improve shift times, I just want to make it more pleasant to row.

zrickety

The Fixer
Try a transmission fluid change. Redline, motul, mobil 1, etc.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
84k Not even close to stock checking in.

defects
door seal, odd bit of trim at 2k.
rear brakes at 80k

replaced parts
clutch

upgrades
apr stage 2
stage 3 drop in clutch disk
boost gauge.
ESP button fixed to work as described. (vagcom for the win)

Car still handles like it's on rails and screams down the road at stage 2.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Short Bus,

Great review and I have some great news for you. VAGCOM!

Vagcom will let you turn XDS up a notch to strong setting and it pulls and works much better (more so with a tune though).

You can also turn ESP completely off with a Vagcom setting adjustment so holding the ESP button turns it off completely vs almost in stock form. Now they I think of it this may only be 2012 and up but maybe someone came up with a setting for you 2010 folks.

Keep enjoying that GTI. love mine and will be for years to come.

finklejag

Ready to race!
I bought mine in Dec 09 and have only 54,000 miles on her. It has been my most reliable VW I have owned. I had a short in my radio early on also.

Warranty

Driverside window regulator
Driverside wind noise
Intake manifold
Radio shorting out

Repaired

Whole clutch assembly replaced at 40K because of the faulty 2 piece TOB, but VW said it wasn't covered under the 60K powertrain warranty.

Philimon

Ready to race!
75k+ miles here. No problems from the car - just the lone dealer in our city...

Things I don't like: DSG reverse rake. It's slightly offensive. I don't really want to lower the car, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about aftermarket suspension as an excuse to change the reverse rake. I also don't like the wheels, but that's mostly due to the size and not the design. I would switch wheels but I don't feel that strongly and I don't see keeping this car. I want a manual. Also, the base stereo was garbage. I did upgrade that.

Shortbus: I liked your review. Provide previous cars for comparison?