GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
You and your car coming to Savannah again this year?
Just booked our beach house for the weekend near where you guys stayed last year.

Should be, hope my car moves by then.

Also where does everyone host photos for here since Google is failing me, one day ok next day all broken links

kern417

Go Kart Champion
What's your suspension setup Kern?

i have h&r clubsport coilovers with IE camber plates and h&r sway bars currently. but what JR is referring to is my new TT hubs/tie rods and super pro ball joints to get more traction up front and raise the roll center as much as possible. only thing is i'm still lame and have stock lca bushings because my engine work came up over my planned budget so going to wait on those.

Also where does everyone host photos for here since Google is failing me, one day ok next day all broken links

i still use the good ol' photobucket. never failed me, thought they can be spammy with emails.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
still waiting on ic pipes from powder but had to get my rear pcv return modded bc not one AN fitting cleared the compressor housing...

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
sold some parts and got some $$ to toss around. was thinking LSD and beefing up the trans.

1) Whats everyone using or "best" LSD out there?
2) is it REALLY worth it/needed (idk if ill get to the track much)
3) If so, better to get the beetle or gli trans and build that instead of the stock one?

If it doesnt make sense ill get a seibon hood. took my stock off at a show and it fell over and warped the center a little

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
sold some parts and got some $$ to toss around. was thinking LSD and beefing up the trans.

3) If so, better to get the beetle or gli trans and build that instead of the stock one?

If it doesnt make sense ill get a seibon hood. took my stock off at a show and it fell over and warped the center a little

It's a must for high power levels even for just daily driving. I personally have a wavetrac and love it. That being said, you really can't go wrong. All the torque biasing gear type LSD's are all great and all operate pretty much the same. The only advantage to the wavetrac is it has the ability to put power down in no-load and near-no-load situations i.e. lifting or substantially unloading a drive wheel.

I would recommend the beetle trans. The gearing seems to suit BT power well.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
What he said. Wavetrac or peloquin, I have used multiple wavetracs now. Better trans gearing is the best. OEM is a little short and R is even shorter. Gli is very long used one of those as well. I haven't had the Beetle but it's in the middle which would be perfect.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
still waiting on ic pipes from powder but had to get my rear pcv return modded bc not one AN fitting cleared the compressor housing...

i guess i'm missing something. what's it for?

it's awesome if you like turns but idk if i'd say it's required for high power. it def feels more stable but i havent been in a big turbo car without one. if you don't feel like something is lacking now idk if it's worth it, but it won't make anything worse.

same with the beetle/GLI trans. i kind of lost faith in a lot of that since patrick broke his GLI trans. the bracing kit would probably be more worthwhile (that's the route i'll be going).

but that's just my opinion. i have a wavetrac in stock trans and so far so good.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I have a Peloquin and have installed and used them solely for a long long time. They work really well and will last forever.

I don't really have any experience with Wavetrac, but I'm always turned off by the fact that they have wearable parts inside. I drove a car with the M-Factory diff a few weeks ago and it felt exactly like my Peloquin, and the guy who owned the car tracks the shit out of it and it seems to be holding up fine, not to mention they are much cheaper than anyone else.

Like said above, I think an LSD should seriously be the second mod after a tune for these cars. Totally changes the entire car. Doing a rolling one tire fryer for a mile gets real old real quick.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
so the cts turbo kit only has (2) o2 bungs on the exhaust. i'm going to add 2 more to the midpipe so i can finally get back to running all 3 oem sensors, plus my aem wideband. what are my chances that this will correct my fuel trim issue since it has been reading 0 for everything since i installed the kit? etuners also suggested i try switching to a ccta ecu since the engine is ccta even though the car originally had a cbfa motor, but i don't see how that would help anything in that regard.

PFA

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
so the cts turbo kit only has (2) o2 bungs on the exhaust. i'm going to add 2 more to the midpipe so i can finally get back to running all 3 oem sensors, plus my aem wideband. what are my chances that this will correct my fuel trim issue since it has been reading 0 for everything since i installed the kit? etuners also suggested i try switching to a ccta ecu since the engine is ccta even though the car originally had a cbfa motor, but i don't see how that would help anything in that regard.

PFA

I believe there is zero chance this will fix anything. For what it's worth, when I first went K04 I ran with no O2 sensors except the primary one for about a month because I was missing bungs and fuel trims worked fine. And when I bought my stage 3 kit the midpipe had no extra O2 sensor bungs in it, and when I asked about it the guy said they never used any besides the primary.

I'm more inclined to think you have a wiring issue from the wire tuck, or a tuning issue and that's why yours don't work.