GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Make rear headrest removal easy

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Once this is done, are the headrests still adjustable to the stopping points? Or do they just slide all the way up and all the way down without stopping?

I have yet to do this, but I would assume that everything will still work as normal except for the fact that you can now pull them all the way out. The left side of each headrest seems to have the permanent pin to stop the headrest from being fully removed, and the right side has the release spring loaded push button that will lock in to the different height positions. Since the right side is not being modified it should still work the same way, but that permanent pin on the left side is now gone allowing the headrest to be taken out.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

bearJW

Ready to race!
Once this is done, are the headrests still adjustable to the stopping points? Or do they just slide all the way up and all the way down without stopping?

Everything works and looks as it did before, only now you don't need a little screw driver to remove the headrests. Just push in the little thumb button and slide the headrests out! All you are removing is the extra pin (on the opposite side of the thumb button) that the screw driver pushes in. The side with the notches is left the same.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Did this last night. Took 10 minutes... Hardest part was finding a flat head that was skinny enough to fit into the plastic cutout!

Thanks for the writeup.

I just got a 2014 Jetta wagon a couple of months ago and just found this a week ago. Although I'm not the handiest person you're ever going to run into, I did this pretty easily, certainly less than 15 minutes. Had trouble twisting off the first cap, but once I really grabbed it, it moved.

Many, many thanks for posting this.

evolDiesel

Passed Driver's Ed
Subbd' so I remember to do this

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome, definitely going to do this! Nice write-up/photos OP.

2012JSWTDI

Glad to see this helped people through the years. Wow, the power of the internet.
Thanks for the comments guys & gals.