GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shooting For The Best DynoJet Numbers

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
LOL springs, valves.. same thing right? I meant to say valve springs. I'm really doing a number on this thread :laugh:

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
As some of you may know I'm preparing for a DynoJet shootout between two different tunes (will remain unnamed as it's irrelevant to my question) on the same car, same day, same dyno. My goal is to ensure that the dyno results are 100% legit without trying to downplay results due to the typically uncontrolled variables. The goal of this thread is to CONTROL these variables and make sure everything is taken into account before I put two tunes to the test.

Here is the list of controlled variables for my DynoJet preparations, what else am I missing?

DYNO PREPARATION:
-New TSI engine with 10,000 miles on it (Checked and cleaned at 5,000 miles, NO carbon build-up)
-New intake manifold (NO carbon build-up, no flapper issues)
-TOP and TBP checked and clean (intercooler clean, no blow-by)
-New fuel filter (6.6 bar)
-New air intake filter
-New NGK BKR8EIX Iridium (2668) Spark Plugs @ 0.026” (recently tested for best spark plug combo)
-New coil packs
-MAF/MAP/IAT sensors cleaned (best readings possible)
-Smoke test recently performed and passed (no boost leaks)
-Cold tire pressure is set to OEM recommendations from the door jam sticker on my car
-VagCom throttle body alignment

FUELING:
-Gas tank run to empty
-Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner added
-Gas tank filled with 93 Octane Top Tier Gas (either Exxon, Mobil, or Shell)
-Gas tank run to empty
-Gas tank filled with the SAME 93 Octane Top Tier Gas as above (either Exxon, Mobil, or Shell) for DynoJet

AT THE DYNO:
-Same car on the DynoJet with hardware listed in my build thread (see signature)
-Vehicle will stay strapped the exact same way during all testing without any changes to the straps AT ALL.
-Two different ECU's pre-loaded with two different tunes
-Morning appointment for coolest temperatures
-Aquamist water methanol system disabled
-4th gear runs starting at 2,000RPM
-Identical IAT’s at the beginning of each pull (this will be done by free-revving the engine in ‘blips’ to allow the quick gasps of air to wick away the absorbed heat in the intake manifold)
-Proper cool down time between runs for heatsoaking to normalize
-Tire pressure will be checked between sessions and adjust as necessary)

ECU SWAPPING / ADAPTATION:
-Battery pulled and ECU removed
-ECU #1 with 93 Octane MAP, battery connected, 3 dyno runs for "adaptation", 3 runs for final numbers (highest independent HP & TQ, then averages)
-ECU #2 with 93 Octane MAP, battery connected, 3 dyno runs for "adaptation", 3 runs for final numbers (highest independent HP & TQ, then averages)

DYNO GRAPHS:
CF = current J1349 JUN93
Smoothing = 5

When we did dyno comparisons on other cars we also used heat sensors in key areas associated with performance so that each run is "fair". Exhaust manifold and hot side of turbo most important but also block temp. Doing just timed cool downs did not work out.... starting all dyno runs from the same temp is important to properly compare runs. Otherwise the later runs where the turbo has built up more heat will have an advantage for the very same reason you have it coated and run a blanket on it.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
When we did dyno comparisons on other cars we also used heat sensors in key areas associated with performance so that each run is "fair". Exhaust manifold and hot side of turbo most important but also block temp. Doing just timed cool downs did not work out.... starting all dyno runs from the same temp is important to properly compare runs. Otherwise the later runs where the turbo has built up more heat will have an advantage for the very same reason you have it coated and run a blanket on it.

This, he can use an infrared temp gun to make it as fair as possible.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

This, he can use an infrared temp gun to make it as fair as possible.

I will use my temp gun and will shoot the same engine points as posted here to make sure temps are the same.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1472588

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
As some of you may know I'm preparing for a DynoJet shootout between two different tunes (will remain unnamed as it's irrelevant to my question) on the same car, same day, same dyno. My goal is to ensure that the dyno results are 100% legit without trying to downplay results due to the typically uncontrolled variables. The goal of this thread is to CONTROL these variables and make sure everything is taken into account before I put two tunes to the test.

Here is the list of controlled variables for my DynoJet preparations, what else am I missing?

DYNO PREPARATION:
-New TSI engine with 10,000 miles on it (Checked and cleaned at 5,000 miles, NO carbon build-up)
-New intake manifold (NO carbon build-up, no flapper issues)
-TOP and TBP checked and clean (intercooler clean, no blow-by)
-New fuel filter (6.6 bar)
-New air intake filter
-New NGK BKR8EIX Iridium (2668) Spark Plugs @ 0.026” (recently tested for best spark plug combo)
-New coil packs
-MAF/MAP/IAT sensors cleaned (best readings possible)
-Smoke test recently performed and passed (no boost leaks)
-Cold tire pressure is set to OEM recommendations from the door jam sticker on my car
-VagCom throttle body alignment

FUELING:
-Gas tank run to empty
-Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner added
-Gas tank filled with 93 Octane Top Tier Gas (either Exxon, Mobil, or Shell)
-Gas tank run to empty
-Gas tank filled with the SAME 93 Octane Top Tier Gas as above (either Exxon, Mobil, or Shell) for DynoJet

AT THE DYNO:
-Same car on the DynoJet with hardware listed in my build thread (see signature)
-Vehicle will stay strapped the exact same way during all testing without any changes to the straps AT ALL.
-Two different ECU's pre-loaded with two different tunes
-Morning appointment for coolest temperatures
-Aquamist water methanol system disabled
-4th gear runs starting at 2,000RPM
-Identical IAT’s at the beginning of each pull (this will be done by free-revving the engine in ‘blips’ to allow the quick gasps of air to wick away the absorbed heat in the intake manifold)
-Proper cool down time between runs for heatsoaking to normalize
-Temp gun used to measure consistent temperatures at various engine points
-Tire pressure will be checked between sessions and adjust as necessary)

ECU SWAPPING / ADAPTATION:
-ECU #1 with 93 Octane MAP, battery connected, 3 dyno runs for "adaptation", 3 runs for final numbers (highest independent HP & TQ, then averages)
-ECU #2 with 93 Octane MAP, battery connected, 3 dyno runs for "adaptation", 3 runs for final numbers (highest independent HP & TQ, then averages)

DYNO GRAPHS:
CF = current J1349 JUN93
Smoothing = 5

Be greatful guys, his numbers will be ideal & fair for both tunes. HYDE is so hardcore he got a brand new motor just for the dyno run!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Be greatful guys, his numbers will be ideal & fair for both tunes. HYDE is so hardcore he got a brand new motor just for the dyno run!

Yea, I'm not taking any BS about carbon build up, valve float, etc. New engine, bolt on mods, 2 tunes.

R0bL0gic

Ready to race!
Yea, I'm not taking any BS about carbon build up, valve float, etc. New engine, bolt on mods, 2 tunes.

New engine, you have a block for sale then?