GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going homeless/car squatting for a couple months. Concerns/advice?

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
TL:DR-
I have to spend half a week in North California, half a week in South California to finish school. I don't want to pay rent.
I'm gonna sleep in my car.
Any advice/concerns? I've already thought about legal issues, mental health, etc.
I like the idea of saving $900+ a month on rent.
Any advice? Have any of you done this with a GTI?

So, I work full time in Santa Clara as a mechanical engineer. Unfortunately, SJSU decided to be punks about me finishing one class at their campus so I can do my degree audit and finally get my BS. Davis, Berkeley don't allow non-home students to take engineering courses, it has to be an engineering course and it HAS to be upper division so community colleges are out. I've tried every possible option.

My possible routes:
Quit my job and relocate back to SD for a few months to finish the class (I'm registering for three in hopes that my financial aid appeal goes through so I can have extra cash for food/expenses/live comfortable, pay rent, etc)

Continue to work, do 12 hour shifts for three days, drive down to San Diego on Thursday and turn in all my homework and go to the lab class on Friday, drive back up on Sunday.

Now, rent in Cupertino is wack sauce expensive. $800 a month for a single room plus another $50-75 in utilities. If I ALSO rent in SD AND commute, I'd be looking at about $1500 a month just in rent and I'd only be at each place maybe 40-50% of the time. On top of that my car payment and insurance which is another $400 or so on top of that.

So I'm considering car squatting. I've slept in my car before for 3 weeks and it wasn't a big deal and it wasn't a nice car (It was a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am). It started to get a LITTLE funky after two weeks but I left the windows down, vacuumed and no-scent Febreze'd it up and it smelled like new again. Better than before actually. The advantages to this:
I keep my job. Right now I make $58,000 a year and if I don't get a financial aid approval I'm gonna have to start doing freelance IT jobs to make my car payment/insurance, buy books and food.

A car payment is already a liability, throwing rent on top of that is two financial commitments that I can't skip on if times get hard.

I get to visit my college friends. And yes I already thought of asking them for a place. The only ones that would be okay with it don't have room and I'd fall back into that "paying rent" trap. Plus I don't want to come off like I'm a loser around them even though I don't consider it a loser situation. I feel like I got cut from the college experience too soon: finished spring and started working less than 2 weeks later.

Disadvantages:
Don't get a kitchen to cook in. There's a community kitchen in a college recreation room that is hardly ever used. Even has a fridge so if I shop by the meal I could probably get away with it. But I won't be able to keep things like snacks handy/cool/fresh.

Getting laid will be a challenge. 20% of the time I hook up, it's at the girl's place but the other 80%, they wanna come over. It's gonna be hard (not impossible, but difficult) to pull off a garage-layover. Having three days out of the week spent at work and another two half-days commuting will not help matters.

No bathroom. Thought this through thoroughly (lots of th-words) and I have both a Gold's gym membership and an open-late/open-early gym on campus. Might even cut out the Gold's membership to save myself $25 a month. The gym has private showers, hot water, curtains, locker rooms that you can overnight (so might keep underwear and towels there, toiletries to minimize my cargo).

No privacy: This one will be a challenge. You can't exactly kick back in your car, drink a beer and watch a UFC with your friends. I'll have to get really used to spending time on campus or at cafe's for things like WiFi access, relaxing, etc. I figure if I fully quit my job and stay in SD, I can just join a club/team that has their own lounge/office. I joined one before and would spend 3-5 hours in our office studying and no one even visited until our meetings (once a week).

Depression/mental issues: To be honest, I'm only listing this because everyone seems to consider it. I don't really think it'll be an issue. I'm actually excited at the idea of having almost $1000 of monthly expenses cut out (before gas/maintenance costs get factored in).

So that being said:
Any of you guys car squat for a while? Any tips?
I'm going to get my windows tinted and will probably pick up a sleeping bag and a plush comforter to lay out on the hatch floor. I'm also going to get a night and weekend parking permit so I can park on campus or overnight since they have a lot of very desolate/unbothered parking spaces.
I'm wondering what else I should pack/keep and what things I should be worried about. I'm hesitant to leave my window open a crack because of West Nile/mosquitos/etc.

Dubvee

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if it is available to you or not, but you can camp for free in national forests, just have to be 500 foot from any road. Buy a tent and a good pad. Fuck living in your car. I would invest in a carton of wet wipes either way. Are you anti spending any money?

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
I don't know if it is available to you or not, but you can camp for free in national forests, just have to be 500 foot from any road. Buy a tent and a good pad. Fuck living in your car. I would invest in a carton of wet wipes either way. Are you anti spending any money?

It's just a shit situation and I don't want it to be shittier by having to pay rent in two cities. I'll be in North California Sunday night through Wednesday night and in the southern area Thursday night through Saturday night. And I never liked the rent prices near where I work. Silicon Valley is atrocious (thanks a lot Mark Zuckerberg and Google) for rent prices. Two bedroom apartments 10 minutes from my job are $2900. If I want to pay cheaper rent, I'll have to invest in a Glock 22 and a bulletproof vest.

Because it's temporary and I kind of want to go to graduate school, I feel like if I throw $1300 into the bank instead of paying rent in two cities, I'll have a nice chunk of my moving expenses and car payments set aside so I can study for the GRE at home, spend time with my mom and relocate for my PhD.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Keep your current place and only take one class down there. If there's a class that you can get away with only going in once a week, do that. Drive down, pass out in car for awhile, go to class, drive home.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Keep your current place and only take one class down there. If there's a class that you can get away with only going in once a week, do that. Drive down, pass out in car for awhile, go to class, drive home.

It's an 8 hour drive without traffic.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
so all this gonna happen is gonna be for just a whole week? if it is, book a cheap hotel etc. any best western etc, will probably cost $50 a night at least. its still cheaper than rent

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
So?

You have a superior interior, you can do it. Stop halfway and take a nap if necessary (I'd just live on espresso for 1 day a week). Beats the shit out of paying $1000 a month in rent or living in the car.

Even paying rent in one place will have me paying nearly $1000 in rent. My current place is $800 a month plus utilities and that's the place close to my job lol. I'm considering the tent route but I feel like for three days it's excessive. The nearest national park is about 20 miles out.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
2nd on the camping. That'd be fun.

If I were in your shoes I'd apply for a private student loan. They're expensive but you can make a case for any cost and they'll gladly hand over the money. At payment time, you can then find ways to cut costs further down the road to pay them off more quickly. Yes, it's a bit like kicking the can down the road. But when push comes to shove, they're an option.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
2nd on the camping. That'd be fun.

If I were in your shoes I'd apply for a private student loan. They're expensive but you can make a case for any cost and they'll gladly hand over the money. At payment time, you can then find ways to cut costs further down the road to pay them off more quickly. Yes, it's a bit like kicking the can down the road. But when push comes to shove, they're an option.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I feel like a tent offers less protection. Plus I'm about 5'7" so I feel like constraints wouldn't bother me too much but wouldn't a tent be a little more risky in terms of coyotes/bears etc?

Also, I don't want to go into more debt for school. I already owe $30,000 and it seems like it's an ocean to get passed. Another private loan would put me at $35,000 plus I owe around $12,500 for my car.

I already think I'm going to have to get a $5,000 credit card when I go to graduate school even though tuition will be paid along with a stipend.

zrickety

The Fixer
You're making a very good wage...find an roommate or camp somewhere in the middle of your classes. A tent offers enough protection, especially in a park or undisclosed location. Carry a knife and buy a bat, you'll be fine. You should be able to pay your bills and even save some money. No reason to take out a credit card unless you can pay it down each month to build your credit.