GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown clutch?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Posting from the side of I87 near Harriman NY... Was cruising along, and went to accelerate into a pass - then all of a sudden the clutch slipped and the engine redlined...

I put it in neutral and pulled off the road, and now I can't get back into gear... I can cycle through them when the engine is off, and if I turn the engine over with the car in first, the clutch grinds and the car tries to pull forward, but it just skips, doesn't stall.

Thoughts on what could have happened?

Bino

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you might have some air in the Hydraulic clutch system. Did you perform any work on the car lately. If not yes your clutch is toast

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Someone needs to call up ACT and convince them to make a clutch for MK5/6 applications.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Did you check the horseshoe clips on the shift linkage.

I can run through the gears just fine with the engine off, so I don't suspect the shift linkage. Plus, I was in gear and accelerating when she slipped ... I did look at the linkage when I pulled off the road and it looked okay, but I didn't have the tools to pull the intake and get a closer look.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
When you can cycle the gears when the engine off, but can't when it's on....it's USUALLY one of the springs on the clutch disk.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Help me out ... what does that mean? Am I looking at a new pressure plate, or entire new clutch kit if that's the case?

Being VW doesn't sell PPs by themselves for the most part, you're stuck buying a kit that includes a new disc(which you'll want to replace anyways)

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
When you can cycle the gears when the engine off, but can't when it's on....it's USUALLY one of the springs on the clutch disk.

The springs on the clutch disk are just a damper, like the DMFW is. It wouldn't stop it from going in gear. It's either the pressure plate, the TOB, the clutch master cylinder, or it leaked the fluid out somewhere (which could be any of the above).

OP, does the clutch pedal still have pressure behind it, or does it just go to the floor?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
The springs on the clutch disk are just a damper, like the DMFW is. It wouldn't stop it from going in gear. It's either the pressure plate, the TOB, the clutch master cylinder, or it leaked the fluid out somewhere (which could be any of the above).

OP, does the clutch pedal still have pressure behind it, or does it just go to the floor?

Clutch pedal still has full pressure behind it, feels completely normal... the hydraulics seems fine, so I'm leaning away from master cylinder / fluid.