GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any MK6 GTI issues?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
mines failed at ~1900 miles iirc

Took some searching around and found that this is an unfortunately fairly common problem on some of these cars.
I saw that there is a change in pump parts.
Hopefully this will be cleared up by the time I get my car - which will be an '11

joetron

Passed Driver's Ed
Took delivery of my 2011 2door csg 6spd with sunroof about 3 weeks ago. went back to the dealer the second day due to clicking sound. long story short, driver side axle replaced due to bad cv joint and alignment done twice. After my first wash the other day, i noticed a major paint defect on the hood. *sigh* looks like big streak going down the center (more or less) It's not too noticeable but the best way to describe it is like a different shade of gray was used in that part. Taking to the dealer tomorrow. And i also have a sunglass holder with a mind of its own. Besides that, no other issues.

I'm very disappointed in VW's Quality Control.

newgtigeorge

Passed Driver's Ed
Aside from a leaky rear washer, I've had no issues with my 2011 GTI yet. Since I've only got 2,000 miles on it, I would certainly hope not. I get nervous when I hear of all the problems you guys are having, especially since I'm a salesman at a VW dealership.

Like most of you, I joined this forum because I happen to love this little car. I think the best way to insure that VW addresses these issues is to continue having discussions like this on the forum. After all, we're the purists. We're the most valued customer in the world because we are "evangelists" for the Volkswagen brand. We're more influential than all of VW's television ads combined and we're more savvy than most magazine editors. We're also the most honest voice Volkswagen will ever hear. Piss the evangelists off, and you've got nothing.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my little car and hopefully, I'll continue to sell a few Volkswagens along the way.

Last edited:

Rickfactor

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of my issues occurred during the first 4 weeks of owning the car. Its been about a month since anything new has appeared.

Rear wiper and washer did not work the first time I used it. I made an appt and it worked the next day so I cancelled appt. Its been fine since.

Rear washer drips....but always stops when I think about taking it in.

Bluetooth system failed and would not hold connection on different cell phones. Would not reconnect and froze the display screen. Dealer found "loose" connection and it worked for another week but failed again. They finally replaced the unit and it works fine now.

Passenger side window would stutter dramatically on the way down. Fixed by dealer with a whole new actuator and/or cable.

Drivers seat got a little fuzzy/pills on one edge. I thought it might be the seat belt rubbing but it clears fine. I shaved it with a razor and now its good.

Window/door panels creak badly when driving up or down any sort of incline like a parkage ramp. I dont think there is anything that can be done here.

At least 4 times, the car would not go into reverse (DSG) and the engine would rev when the throttle was applied. It also happened once going from park into drive with the car bucking fwd like I was rear-ended.

Passenger seat does not have a protective casing on the cable for seat belt buckle outlet. Ive seen this complaint before as well yet some cars have it and some dont. I cant think of any conceiveable reason not to have it as part of some grand German design.

Although its not a fault (although I thought it was at first), the knocking noise during the first 2 or 3 minutes from a cold start of the fuel pressure/anti leak pump thing is annoying. Could they not have shielded this better or at least designed one that is quiet ? Ive driven alot of cars and this is the first time I have ever heard such a device operate.

parat75

Honestly, I do NOT like this car. It isn't very fun to drive, gas mileage could be better considering that its a 2.0 Turbo, and it has had the most problems for a new car than I care to deal with. Couple all this with the fact that im stationed overseas with it, and the situation is worse than it should be.

My problems:
The typical rattling noise at 2K-3K rpms--dealer refused to do anything b/c it was raining
TPMS sensors--thought it was just the needed recall, apparently they failed to work completely.
MDI interface--after approx. 7000 miles, it failed to work also. Dealer ordered the parts, it took almost 2 months to get here.
TSB--I have no idea what it is, and it's for US spec vehicles only, so the dealer had to research for a month to figure it out.
Rattles--yeah, a brand new car with less than 10K miles rattles EVERYWHERE. Worse than all three of my Subarus.
Took a trip to Rome...best gas mileage I saw was 28 MPG doing 75mph on the Autostrada with the air off. That is rediculous for this little car.

That's it...I'm going back to an American V8. I can't stand these quirky little cars anymore, especially a VW.

All these items (other than the rattles) were addressed to the dealer. The car was left there all day, and NOTHING was done. The oil was changed and the tires were rotated. Oh, they reflashed the CPU to clear the CEL. That was almost 2 months ago. I'm scheduled to have everything looked at/fixed on Dec 4th. Here's to hoping something else doesn't go wrong until then.

Last edited:

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
8 1/2 months and 7,500 miles, the only problem I have had is false TMPS light twice. I will get it addressed on the 10,000 mile service.

bearvalle

2600 miles I have had no issues, figured out all the little noises except the one that seems to flex oriented in the post/column between the drivers door and the rear driver side passenger door. I has a rattle at low speed on rough surfaces. I would say overall it is less buggy than my previous 2007 335i at this stage in its life. :thumbup:

lawbench191

Let's Autocross!
Just over 4700 miles. A little rubber squeak in the right door. Putting it for a service check Thursday. Former Mini guy who is loving his new GTI!

munkey

Ready to race!
12k miles in about 6 months.

TPMS light came on twice, but it has been fixed now. First fix at about 6k miles didn't take but its fine now.

Other than that the car has not given me any issues so far.

P

plac

no problems in my eyes.. 5500 miles. doors squeak, who cares, lube them up every few weeks. rear wiper dripped maybe 3 times total, who cares. this isnt a show car. TPMS goes off every few weeks? ITS SUPPOSED TO! Fill your tires back to the pressure listed on your door and it goes off immediately.

no other issues i can think of.

oh ya.. sometimes my brake pedal gets like a rock overnight and i cant press it far enough to trigger the switch to allow me to start the car.

one time i saw "ESP error" on startup and it went away instantly.

Last edited: