GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGEN COVER MOD DIY

Merelington

Ready to race!
There are two screws on the back side of the cover.

Thanks

Now that I've got it off I see that there's just one screw on the back and clips in the front.

I've bombed the intake but am having trouble finding a good clear coat. Need it to be heat resistant, won't yellow, won't chip, low acidity as to not melt the ink/stickers, and more matt than gloss. Any help?

A good clean bomb isn't as easy as I thought...there's a good chance I may not do the cover this way. Maybe if I use larger stickers, less text, and more shades of grey it can be pulled off.

Merelington

Ready to race!
B&W Sticker Bomb

I finally got around to finishing the sticker bombed covers.

I had most of the stickers printed on high quality vinyl, cut them out by hand, used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface, heated stickers with a blow dryer to easily form to contours, and sprayed with 4 coats of heat resistant lacquer.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out:

*Tried to go for a distressed/comic book-ish look with the 2.5..looks much better in person

BrianWithGolf

Ready to race!
Looks awesome man I would have gone with a couple of Different stickers (lol tottenham) but looks amazing.

How does the surface of the cover feel? Is it smooth or can you feel the sticker edges?

Merelington

Ready to race!
Looks awesome man I would have gone with a couple of Different stickers (lol tottenham) but looks amazing.

How does the surface of the cover feel? Is it smooth or can you feel the sticker edges?

Haha yea Tottenham and Juventus are hard pills to swallow for some but hey...what club(s) do you fancy?

The surface is very smooth but the edges from underlaying vinyls are felt. I contemplated sanding between several layers of coats but my test subject with this lacquer didn't turn out too well.

elbongo

Ready to race!
one qustion.. how to takie off this cover? i've got 1.6 CR and i've already bought some stickers and finnaly got time to do it but i dont want to break it..

Merelington

Ready to race!
one qustion.. how to takie off this cover? i've got 1.6 CR and i've already bought some stickers and finnaly got time to do it but i dont want to break it..

I'm not sure if the 1.6 cover is similar but if it is you simply pull up on all 4 corners then loosen those clamps on your hoses (from the intake and to the engine). The rubber gromets are really tough so it'll take a bit of muscle. Once the main cover is off remove the inner section by unscrewing the back then pry off from the clips.

looks great, learn to spell though :L

Thanks and as far as the spelling goes I think you're confusing me with "elbongo"....he's from poland so cut him some slack. If I were trying to post on a polish forum I would get massacred.

OldSchoolVW

Ready to race!
Hope these show up. Figured Id get a little patriotic. Happy 4th!!

Attachments

• cover1.JPG
    cover1.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 189
  • cover2.JPG
    cover2.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 151

OneFormerTexan

Another variation:

The colors are not as shiny as the picture makes them look. The TSI was done with a Glossy Black enamel (Model Paint). I might strip it off and try spay painting the same black as the top stripe, that's just a lot of masking off...