GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise pipe plug vs full delete

msm00b

Ready to race!
I am a bit lost as what the noise pipe does and what are the benefits of deleting/plugging it?

This. If someone could explain it to me ... it'd make me a happy panda.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Yeah a ton of people both here and on VWVortex discuss the noisepipe delete, but it's never been 100% explained.

My interperetation is: VW added a pipe that blows some of the intake air into the firewall to add some noise, hence that little "ski-doo" growl you get at higher RPM's. I guess it's detrimental to performance (? which makes sense since it's using some of the boost pressure for noise?), and some people here don't like sound.

Since I don't mind the sound, at least for now (until I have some mods that will let the 2.0T show its true voice, intake/exhaust) I think I'll leave it alone. If, however, this is detrimental to performance, I'll be getting rid of it the correct way, with a tiguan pipe asap.

If I knew what the hell it was plugged in to it would all make more sense, but at the moment all I know is it goes from somewhere down by the rad up to the firewall.

Would love to have some more people chime in on what exactly this does!

msm00b

Ready to race!
Anyone here with the the noise pipe plug care to comment on the difference in sound?

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
The pipe coming from the intercooler comes to a "y". One goes to the throttle body, the other goes to a small box under the cowl to make noise.
I find it funny someone will comment on the right way to do it yet has no idea what it even is or does.
Unless you're making lots of power or high boost either way is pretty much the same. Obviously the tiguan pipe and cowl cover will look better aesthetically. But for some people plugging it and leaving the pipe there is better for dealer visits. With simple bolt ons I wouldn't think either would perform better than the other...

Edit: I feel that after the plug it seems to rev a little smoother. Especially from stops. Noise is something I can't say I've noticed. I know I'd rather have it quieter then have some artificial crap amplifying noise that could be better used by my engine...

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
About the Tiguan pipe.....from a guy on golfmkv:

"More consistent throttle response, and less "brrrrrrrrrrr". Boost seems to hold more consistently too"

Basically, you're getting better throttle response since there is less "plumbing" to pressurize with "boost" (since you're deleting that useless piping going to the firewall).
Boost is being routed to a "muffler" (what VW calls it) and being wasted to create the lame sound.

Along with cleaning up the engine bay & getting rid of the "Sea Doo" sound.
You here more of the engine & turbo (a good thing) instead of the fake sound.

TONS of pics are in my DIY of what gets removed & everything....
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6889

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
I was initially skeptical of the mod until I ran across the actual VW schematic and part list for all the pieces (Thanks to Dpham00 at GolfMk5.com). Here is the entire "Noise Pipe" in the GTI diagram and an explanation of how it fits into the turbo system.

Snobrdrdan has excellent pics of the actual pipes for visual reference but working off the diagram lets complete a simple loop of the system so we know exactly what we are looking at.

Start with #11, the pressure pipe, this is being fed from the turbo which is charging air coming from the engine. This pressurized air then feeds into the intercooler (#1 1K0 145 803 A - charge air cooler) then back into the engine at the piece of hose labeled as #7. Hoses #11,9,4,6 and 7 are all listed as pressure hoses or connector hoses and take the charged air from the turbo through the intercooler and directly back to the engine which is the complete loop for the turbo.

Now If we break it down to figure out the noise pipe we start #6 (1K0 145 770 P - air pipe) where some of our pressurized air is diverted from the already complete system. The stock GTI air pipe diverts some of this pressurized air into #26 and #29, through the firewall at #40 (with the block of plates #45,#46) and eventually into our mystery part #44. If you go look at Dan's DIY you'll see a great comparison of the stock air pipe vs. the "Tiguan pipe" which simply doesn't have the split and a pic of the complete noise pipe. I've also linked many of the part numbers above to actual pictures from Dan's DIY, Thanks Dan!!!

Part number 44 (1K0 145 700 A) is listed as the "sound amplifier for charge air pipe" in the manual. So what I've learned from the diagram is that some of the pressurized air from the turbo is diverted from the engine and used to run through more piping to a "sound amplifier". The "Noise pipe Delete Mod" is nothing more than replacing the stock GTI air pipe with the Tiguan pipe eliminating the excess piping and sound amplifier.

I can only reason that if I eliminate this extra volume and direct ALL of my turbo charged air to the engine I will gain more power and better response from the engine, however small that may be. As an engineer myself, I'd be willing to guess that when they designed the system the effect of the noise pipe was considered "negligable", but I'm only guessing. What I do know is that the Tiguan comes with the 2L turbo charged engine and no noise pipe. Even if after doing this I can't tell a difference I'll know that however small a change I'll have a bit more boost throwing down rubber on the pavement instead of making sound up near the dash :thumbup:

Also, if anyone finds any mistakes, typos or mis-labeled items in my post please let me know. I simply thought it may be useful to some to see a complete explanation of this "mysterious" noise pipe.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here with the the noise pipe plug care to comment on the difference in sound?

Dude, it's absolutely a different car. I put a plug while I get the tiguan pipe and it is so quiet now, it feels like a super refined car. I'm stage 1 and I can just hear the plvzzzzzzzzz of the turbo spooling super fast. I will get my intake shipped soon so this will be a nice compliment. Real growl now. I was really getting tired of that fake sound the noise maker does, it sounds like shit. But be careful! I was flooring it and as I wasn't used to the quietness, I hit 7k rpms on 1st gear pretty quick :D

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
Dude, it's absolutely a different car. I put a plug while I get the tiguan pipe and it is so quiet now, it feels like a super refined car. I'm stage 1 and I can just hear the plvzzzzzzzzz of the turbo spooling super fast. I will get my intake shipped soon so this will be a nice compliment. Real growl now. I was really getting tired of that fake sound the noise maker does, it sounds like shit. But be careful! I was flooring it and as I wasn't used to the quietness, I hit 7k rpms on 1st gear pretty quick :D

Does the plug make It look stock? I'm just worried about the warranty being voided at the dealer ..

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Does the plug make It look stock? I'm just worried about the warranty being voided at the dealer ..

The $3 solution? Get an expandable plug, 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 from autozone or pepboys. Take out the hose that connects to the pipe. Put the plug in and secure it in place. Reconnect the hose. Stock looks, zero noise.

Some people say those are test plugs and they come out, but I redlined my car pretty hard yesterday many times and it didn't even move a bit. Just to be safe, I kept my hose in place to keep the looks stock, and if it comes out, it has nowhere to go but to the hose itself so I would get stuck in there, it wouldn't fly out and dent the hood. I will take all that stuff out once I get my tiguan pipe.

Let me know if I didn't explain myself very good. I took some pics also.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Even if you did the Tiguan pipe....it's a OEM part....it's going to look just like a normal Tiguan or Passat 2.0T stock engine

The dealer would never notice because it is OEM

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The $3 solution? Get an expandable plug, 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 from autozone or pepboys. Take out the hose that connects to the pipe. Put the plug in and secure it in place. Reconnect the hose. Stock looks, zero noise.

Some people say those are test plugs and they come out, but I redlined my car pretty hard yesterday many times and it didn't even move a bit. Just to be safe, I kept my hose in place to keep the looks stock, and if it comes out, it has nowhere to go but to the hose itself so I would get stuck in there, it wouldn't fly out and dent the hood. I will take all that stuff out once I get my tiguan pipe.

Let me know if I didn't explain myself very good. I took some pics also.

Just saw that you purchased Dave's Tig pipe, LOL

Did I sway you to the Tig pipe instead?

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!

That's cool, but do you still hear the wastegate rattle? :p lol

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Just saw that you purchased Dave's Tig pipe, LOL

Did I sway you to the Tig pipe instead?

Yes you did haha! David's a very cool guy and has a ton of plans for his new mkvi, I will now have to sell my plug since I won't be needing it anymore.

And for the other guy that asked about the dealer noticing it, with a full delete the dealer could see that the noise piping is no longer there, in my case, I honestly don't give a crap. But if you worry about that, I can sell you my plug, and you can put the piping back in for stealth mode and bingo, no noise and it's invisible ;)