GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do people say about your car?

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
This is probably one of those "we have been through this already" post but I am curious as to what the overall opinion of your spouse, friends, colleagues etc are of your car. This applies to the entire Golf family.

Here in San Antonio, I have had very good reactions from all sorts of people in general. I have had people stop and talk to me about it in gas stations and have had the thumbs-up from other drivers on the street. I have also had an overwhelmingly positive response from Starbucks workers for some odd reason :iono:.

However, I detect an undertone of confusion by some people here in TX. A lot of people just dont get it and/or dont appreciate it. The size of the car and the whole hatch thing just doesnt appeal to a lot of people here. I haven't had negative comments yet but maybe people are too polite.

Not that I care what people think (otherwise I would be driving a Honda), but just interested.......

VWcowgirl

V Dub Babe
I get a lot of impressed people. The guys at work don't want to admit that they like it for whatever reason but they love it. My mom has no idea why I wanted another Volkswagen... and I catch hell from my friends for driving an import (until they ride in it).

vietbodia

Passed Driver's Ed
my girlfriend thinks it's a punk car and that i'm a punk for driving it >_>
doesnt bother me though lol she doesnt know anything bout cars

UKGTI1

Ready to race!
my girlfriend thinks it's a punk car and that i'm a punk for driving it >_>
doesnt bother me though lol she doesnt know anything bout cars

Yeh see why is that? This is kind of what I am interested in. I think my (now Ex) girlfriend thought the same. She drives a Corolla so enough said there!

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
People at work like it, but think I'm loaded since I paid $26k when I'm only 21.

Butttttt, I still live at home... so there, haha.

Nick1214

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in San Antonio, I have had very good reactions from all sorts of people in general. I have had people stop and talk to me about it in gas stations and have had the thumbs-up from other drivers on the street. I have also had an overwhelmingly positive response from Starbucks workers for some odd reason :iono:.

Thats really wierd.....the employees of my local starbucks also have an overwhelmingly positive response to my GTI.

vietbodia

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeh see why is that? This is kind of what I am interested in. I think my (now Ex) girlfriend thought the same. She drives a Corolla so enough said there!

well my girlfriend is into name brand stuff so she only thinks car brands like lexus...bmw...mercedes... are the only nice cars.
31 mpg, 200 bhp and turbo made me fall in love with this car. It's hard to find a well balanced car now a days

Elitefoo

Ready to race!
In Mass the other day my car was called a, "Nazi Rollerskate" at first sight by a family friend.

I ROTFLED for a good while, and now I refer to my car as my Nazi Rollerskate.

Everyone that either gets in, sees the car, or hears that I got a GTI is very impressed.
They really like what I did to the car, regardless of what some say about my nicknamed, "GT-R" hahaha.

A buddy of mine wants me to drive everywhere and be a wingman so we can impress, "Girls".... Apparantly it works? He is a pretty good wingman.

regardless, great impressions over here in Maine!

Elitefoo

Ready to race!
well my girlfriend is into name brand stuff so she only thinks car brands like lexus...bmw...mercedes... are the only nice cars.
31 mpg, 200 bhp and turbo made me fall in love with this car. It's hard to find a well balanced car now a days

I am pretty cut-throat when it comes to that kind of behavior. Probably why I am single :D. There is more to life than materialism... even if we do drive nice-ass GTIs!! xD

that's so sad she likes luxury things :( You better go buy her a LV bag or else she'll find a guy who has an Audi. Try explaining platform and part sharing with her. And then go show her the new Car and Driver Top Ten cars list. Good luck.

Last edited:

Boo1

Ready to race!
People who know cars admire it. People who don't probably wonder why I drive a little grey hatchback.

same here... I know my ex thought like that. She bought a BMW ( auto 328 at that) and valued some self worth on the badge image. (a material goal she called it). She started changing her behavior a couple months after her sweet little financed purchase.

Some women believe that men driving luxo badged cars WANT to do better for themselves in the future. At least this is what I've gathered in my 15 years of relationship experience. :laugh:

Shame.

People who know cars admire it. People who don't probably wonder why I drive a little grey hatchback.

here's the thing though: if we have friends who consider themselves car guys, but then doubt our purchase, what does it say about them? Are they really car enthusiasts at all???

In the end, the 4 door GTI has done much to lend an adult air about the GTI. The 2 door still raises the old "racer boy" flag. I guess I'm the 35 year old racer boy.

oh... and people love the Detroit wheels. Although when I had my mk5, noone complimented me at all.... on the car or the wheels for that matter.