GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Cleanest GTI? A Documentary by AutoLavish of Michigan

lon888

Ready to race!
...and then a bird flew over and crapped on the car. Sorry - no really - that's a VERY nice over-the-top detail job. Well done, guys.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
Just parked next to the car featured here. Still looking good!

I just got off the phone with the owner. Sounds like you have a pretty sick looking GTI yourself (white with smoked R20 tails?). I'm hoping that when you saw her she wasn't too dirty at the time :D

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I just got off the phone with the owner. Sounds like you have a pretty sick looking GTI yourself (white with smoked R20 tails?). I'm hoping that when you saw her she wasn't too dirty at the time :D

Yeah that is mine... Still on the denvers and stock suspension though. The owners car was relatively clean, I mean there was a little bit of dirt on it but you could still tell that it had been detailed the way you documented. Mine was dirty but not too crazy. I had to leave a note on his car.... I just couldn't resist. Felt like a feaking stalker and mentioned on it that I saw his car in the feature here. He left me a reply note on the windsheild with me his email. I should shoot him a quick note.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
Yeah that is mine... Still on the denvers and stock suspension though. The owners car was relatively clean, I mean there was a little bit of dirt on it but you could still tell that it had been detailed the way you documented. Mine was dirty but not too crazy. I had to leave a note on his car.... I just couldn't resist. Felt like a feaking stalker and mentioned on it that I saw his car in the feature here. He left me a reply note on the windsheild with me his email. I should shoot him a quick note.

Its always great to see other enthusiasts around, let alone fellow owners of your particular car (I don't run into a lot of fellow S2000 owners around here). I can tell you the owner had nice things to say about your ride as well - so it must be in pretty good shape :)

720...wow I charged my friend 175 for his X5 which was a two day job.

What's 720?

You charged $175 for day job in detailing? Interesting. We spent 2.5 days with three guys on this particular project, so I hope you understand that based off workload alone, it's not nearly apples to apples. If you take into account our history, reputation, abilities, standards, etc and I'm sure you can understand that without taking into consideration workload, it's still not apples to apples.

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
720...wow I charged my friend 175 for his X5 which was a two day job.

720 doesn't seem out of range given the time and effort put into a job like this. Heck, I charge more than 175 for just a one step polish.

Banned
What's 720?

You charged $175 for day job in detailing? Interesting. We spent 2.5 days with three guys on this particular project, so I hope you understand that based off workload alone, it's not nearly apples to apples. If you take into account our history, reputation, abilities, standards, etc and I'm sure you can understand that without taking into consideration workload, it's still not apples to apples.

two day job bro...two day. I take the wheels off and clean every inch inside and out. I don't use fusion cquartz or any other nano product. My abilities are right up there with professional (minus wetsanding!)

I wasn't hating on you at all though, I wish I could get a gig doing it for a job but for right now its a fun hobby (since i'm unemployed!!) that score side work.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
two day job bro...two day. I take the wheels off and clean every inch inside and out. I don't use fusion cquartz or any other nano product. My abilities are right up there with professional (minus wetsanding!)

I wasn't hating on you at all though, I wish I could get a gig doing it for a job but for right now its a fun hobby (since i'm unemployed!!) that score side work.

I apologize for my typo; i meant to say "...for a two day job..."

My point is, if you're charging $175 for a two day wheels-off detail, I don't have to prove your abilities are NOT "right up there with a professional" as you're already proving it. As most of us should know, price alone isn't a complete reflection of skill level. Skills, experience, a diverse portfolio, and other factors including price reflects true ability level.
Clients want to see a high universal standard on all work. Not just one or two cars, not just one make or model, and not just over a short period of time. In addition, safety is a major importance for high end clients as they want to make sure mistakes aren't made. Taking thickness readings (to include ultrasonic readings on composite materials, like an all carbon fiber body: http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/jacobbunyan/2005 Porsche Carrera GT/DSC02503.jpg ), having insurance, having plenty of experience with other vehicles (rotary use, wet-sanding, various polishing techniques), and over-all showing competence means a lot to these people.
It's not easy, and every job is earned through your past actions. Competition is high, this type of stuff isn't a necessity of life or owning a vehicle, and the economy is rough.

I assure you this isn't a shot at you, or anyone else in particular, but rather meant to inform those who might not fully understand how much goes into this stuff.

P.S. If you doubled the "$720" figure, you'd be closer to the actual price.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
On a serious note, unless the car is going to be permanently parked in a climate-controlled garage, it will get dirty again after being driven. $720 is no pocket change these days....

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
On a serious note, unless the car is going to be permanently parked in a climate-controlled garage, it will get dirty again after being driven. $720 is no pocket change these days....

I don't quite understand why people bring up that the car is going to get dirty. Of course it is. The things some seem to forget:
1. It won't get as dirty because of how slick it is.
2. It'll clean off easier because it is well protected.
3. After being washed in the appropriate manner, it will look like the after pics.

Driving doesn't cause swirls. Improper washing causes swirls. The beauty and clarity this car has is still there, whether it has a light coat of dirt on it or not.

This is part of the reason to take good care of your car; because the hard work and time you invest is NOT wasted.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I don't quite understand why people bring up that the car is going to get dirty. Of course it is. The things some seem to forget:
1. It won't get as dirty because of how slick it is.
2. It'll clean off easier because it is well protected.
3. After being washed in the appropriate manner, it will look like the after pics.

Driving doesn't cause swirls. Improper washing causes swirls. The beauty and clarity this car has is still there, whether it has a light coat of dirt on it or not.

This is part of the reason to take good care of your car; because the hard work and time you invest is NOT wasted.

X2

When you say you don't understand people saying these kinds of things, don't forget that many drivers think only in terms of clean or unclean. Many don't think in terms of clarity and the finer details behind detailing.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
X2

When you say you don't understand people saying these kinds of things, don't forget that many drivers think only in terms of clean or unclean. Many don't think in terms of clarity and the finer details behind detailing.

Very true kind sir. Happy new year to you and may the detailing god's look upon you kindly. :thumbup:

Larry70454

Ready to race!
My buddy owns a detailing shop and he has about 4 guys he works with. He normally charges $350+ for a laundry list of detailing (wash,clay,polish,sealant,wax,interior,wheels,etc), but since I'm good friends with him he offered me to do it for $200. Do you think that it is worth it for me to pay him to do it or should I learn to do this myself?