GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why does the bluetooth call quality in this car suck?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Definitely have issues. Everyone hears robot voice. 2012 sunroof package w/ overhead BT console.

To me, this indicates a poor bluetooth connection. Robot voice is commonly attributed to low bandwidth, since the sending device has to compress the audio signal before shooting it across the airwaves. BT chips are made to transmit across airwaves, not compress audio, hence the poor quality compression.

Regardless, I'm going to try to fiddle with sensitivity today. An absolutely useless feature for me, and I really need it to work! :thumbdown:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Update: Had my wife on the phone in a number of situations in a number of sensitivity settings just a moment ago.

Firstly, we noticed that the robot voice will come and go. It was very inconsistent. It doesn't seem to correlate to vehicle speed, although when the robot voice is at its worst it can be understood when stopped but not at all in motion. The inconsistency leads me to believe that bluetooth connection quality is causing this symptom.

Microphone sensitivity (in module "77 - telephone," adaptation) didn't have much of an effect on robot voice, but it was interesting that she commented how much more clearly she could hear me with LOWER sensitivity. Default sensitivity for my car was 0db. She commented that 4db was almost the same, maybe a bit worse. Then, at -2db, she mentioned that my voice (I was speaking at indoor volumes) was far clearer than the best instances at 4db. Even when moving at 60mph. Even so, the robot voice was a problem and still a deal breaker if I wanted to use this every day.

So I started playing around with other adaptation settings. Disabling CDMA detection (I have sprint, a CDMA carrier) made everything worse. Even she had a hard time getting through to me. Then I tried output tests. The audio output test was a revelation - it spits out whatever the mic hears into the car speakers. It is not what my wife hears, but what goes to the Bluetooth peripheral. I drove around, whistling, to hear the noise rejection do its thing (this was at -2db). I pumped up the DB rejection to 4db, but then the module kinda failed on me. It errored out of the audio output test and vcds wouldn't get me back into the module. Fortunately, the module still works fine (albeit stuck at the worst setting).

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

mugsy

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine has the same problem with callers on the other end complaining I sound l;ike im in a wind tunnel or airplane yet i receive them clearly on my end.

This is using a samsung note 2 phone.

I also have a different cheapo samsung flip phone that does not have the problem even though i'm in the same vehicle with the same driving conditions.

jscofi

Passed Driver's Ed
this is still an issue for me. people complaining that they cant hear me.
its possible i moved someone when i was installing dome light LEDs.
i need a fix!
-2012 autobahn with sunroof

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just got a new phone (LG nexus 4) so I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

butchered by autocorrect

Prof_Chaos

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I'm having the exact same problem with road/wind noise getting picked up on my bluetooth mic. Had the dealer look at it and they say it's "operating normally", but clearly something is wrong here.

i went to Electronics 1 > 77 Telephone > and get the following error "no response from controller

so....

I went to Electronics 1 > 37 Navigation > Adaptation 10 > Microphone sensitivity from the drop down ....and my default setting was set to -4DBM

I changed and save to 0 DBM and will post up over the next few days on if it helps other people here me better.

Is it possible there is a calibration that is done and that setting is changed based on the calibration test?

There seems to be a range of values that are stored in the settings by default.

mine is a 20112 autobahn

I've been into VCDS and had the same experience as yunone above. I messed with the microphone sensitivity under navigation like he did (mine was originally set at -2) and saw marginal results at best.

Update: Had my wife on the phone in a number of situations in a number of sensitivity settings just a moment ago.

Firstly, we noticed that the robot voice will come and go. It was very inconsistent. It doesn't seem to correlate to vehicle speed, although when the robot voice is at its worst it can be understood when stopped but not at all in motion. The inconsistency leads me to believe that bluetooth connection quality is causing this symptom.

Microphone sensitivity (in module "77 - telephone," adaptation) didn't have much of an effect on robot voice, but it was interesting that she commented how much more clearly she could hear me with LOWER sensitivity. Default sensitivity for my car was 0db. She commented that 4db was almost the same, maybe a bit worse. Then, at -2db, she mentioned that my voice (I was speaking at indoor volumes) was far clearer than the best instances at 4db. Even when moving at 60mph. Even so, the robot voice was a problem and still a deal breaker if I wanted to use this every day.

So I started playing around with other adaptation settings. Disabling CDMA detection (I have sprint, a CDMA carrier) made everything worse. Even she had a hard time getting through to me. Then I tried output tests. The audio output test was a revelation - it spits out whatever the mic hears into the car speakers. It is not what my wife hears, but what goes to the Bluetooth peripheral. I drove around, whistling, to hear the noise rejection do its thing (this was at -2db). I pumped up the DB rejection to 4db, but then the module kinda failed on me. It errored out of the audio output test and vcds wouldn't get me back into the module. Fortunately, the module still works fine (albeit stuck at the worst setting).

Sent via Tapatalk, butchered by autocorrect

This guy seems like he's on to something, but as mentioned above, I don't have 77 -Telephone as a usable option in VCDS for me. I've got a 2012 with RNS-315, if that helps.

I've read elsewhere that the bluetooth module is built into the headunit on the 2012s, but it seems like doing so has eliminated a a lot of settings from VCDS, or else they've moved somewhere else.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully we can get this figured out once and for all!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, my 2012 has the Bluetooth module built into the roof panel just behind the rearview mirror. It appears as though vw implements new changes as 'rolling changes', that is, as old stock runs out and new parts are available. So my 11/11 built car has the old module.

Anyways, I've turned the Bluetooth on my nexus 4 off because it'll automatically start the grooveshark app when it pairs to my car. It's great because I'll already have music going when I want to stream it but it won't turn off when the phone un-pairs from the car. So I'll get random music after I leave the car - in restaurants, with friends, etc. It's embarrassing :/

butchered by autocorrect

Prof_Chaos

My bluetooth mic is in the roof panel where yours is too. I'm talking about the actual bluetooth control module. Prior to 2012, it was a separate unit under the passenger seat. In 2012+ cars (at least with RNS-315) it's apparently built into the headunit. Sorry for the confusion there.

That's weird about the music on your Nexus! If you still want to use the bluetooth for the phone portion, you should be able to go into the bluetooth settings on your phone and uncheck the "Media Audio" box in the configuration for the VW phone connection. I have the opposite done on my RAZR HD right now since the phone is pretty much unusable in its current state.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Hmm I don't have that option, at least without being connected to the car...

butchered by autocorrect

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Resurrecting this one. Was driving home talking to my girl last night, and she said that I could barely be heard due to a "wind tunnel effect." Switched over to my phone, and she said I was clear as a bell. I like the hands free concept, but the actual execution makes it unusable...

Has anyone had luck with sensitivity settings, or is it really phone related?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Resurrecting this one. Was driving home talking to my girl last night, and she said that I could barely be heard due to a "wind tunnel effect." Switched over to my phone, and she said I was clear as a bell. I like the hands free concept, but the actual execution makes it unusable...

Has anyone had luck with sensitivity settings, or is it really phone related?

I disabled my soundaktor, but the quality is still terrible. I don't know if it's wind noise or road noise, but it does make you difficult to understand. I haven't tried the vag com change to the sensitivity yet, I guess that is next

Sent via tapatalk