GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace city lights with LEDs...help

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Like the title says, How do you do this? I have searched google and youtube AND the forums. I assume the bulbs would be white 194s but how do you remove the OEM bulbs?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Just twist open the cover on the back of the housing. You'll see a paddle which you just give a little twist and pull. The bulbs are on the end of that paddle.

VW couldn't have made it simpler! And yes, 194 bulbs are what you need.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
^^^^ WOW, I fail. Thanks. So I could use the same 194 that I use to replace my footwell lights? Only white.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Yep, the same 194's you use elsewhere work/fit in the city lights

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Youll need the resistors so you dont get a bulb out warning too. The leds may not even light up without them.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Youll need the resistors so you dont get a bulb out warning too. The leds may not even light up without them.

No resistors are needed. They work fine without them. If the OP wasn't planning on updating the coding to run LED city lights, he will just deal with the bulb out error.

If one whats to use VAG, Byte 27, select 2 to activate LED City Lights so no error is displayed.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
^^^Thanks. My dealership VAGs my car for me. I got them to do the needle sweep last week.

Uberryan

Banned
got any links to some decent reliable 194s in white?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
www.ledwholesalers.com

Item name: 6 SMT LED 194 T10 Wedge Bulb light color - White (5000 to 6500K)
Item number: 110415-224205-6755
Quantity: 2

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
no prob - you will need to vagcom them tho. I love mine.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion