GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 TSI DIY Install

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Took me about 7hrs. No help, browsing over the how-to, breaks etc. This thread has everything, no surprises. I picked up the ball ended allens per your recommendation. I had the heat shield out in 20mins. :)

Very awesome. I'm so happy to hear that someone else was able to avoid the headaches I ran into!

The heatshield out in 20minutes is fantastic. You turn it by hand or used a ratchet?

Pulling the turbo was the easiest part for me :) Then again, I had a friend.

mattyICED

Ready to race!
Very awesome. I'm so happy to hear that someone else was able to avoid the headaches I ran into!

The heatshield out in 20minutes is fantastic. You turn it by hand or used a ratchet?

Pulling the turbo was the easiest part for me :) Then again, I had a friend.

The set I got at Harbor Freight came with a cheap little handle. It worked great, only used it to break them loose then used the allen by itself to get it out.

damn, maybe i can install mine myself....hmmm
:23:

Its really not that hard.

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the writeup man. It looks like now I'm going to spend money on tools I'll have forever rather than labor for my K04/intercooler. You did an awesome job here!

jordansGTI

Awesome write up man, got my k04 done and all buttoned up in about 10 hours. Probably wouldn't have tackled this had you not posted this step by step. Can't wait for the tune now!
Cheers

mrgoodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Stripped Bolt =(, words of caution.

I just want to say that this guide was very helpful but just passing the word of caution to those undertaking this on their own. Check all the bolts heads especially the ones you cannot see clearly.

The guide was spot on for type of bolt heads for me except for the top nut for the turbo bracket. In the guide, it states that it is a 6mm allen plug but it was actually a triple square on my car.

The nut is kind of in a hard to see space and I thought that since the guide did not have any differences so far that it most likely will be correct. I put in the 6 mm allen and it was snug (again this made me feel like this was the correct head) and then when I torqued it to loosen it, it was stripped. After the fact, I took my cell phone and took a picture and it looked was a M8 triple square =(.

This was the last thing that I needed to get the turbo out. I tried ignoring the bracket but since the bracket was there, I could not angle the turbo out.

Anyway, I said f it and put everything back and now im having a shop do it since they probably have the tools necessary to remove that stripped bolt and get it done.

For those thinking about doing it this, the guide is awesome, just be super careful before removing bolts you cannot see clearly so you do not have to go what I have to go through.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I just want to say that this guide was very helpful but just passing the word of caution to those undertaking this on their own. Check all the bolts heads especially the ones you cannot see clearly.

The guide was spot on for type of bolt heads for me except for the top nut for the turbo bracket. In the guide, it states that it is a 6mm allen plug but it was actually a triple square on my car.

The nut is kind of in a hard to see space and I thought that since the guide did not have any differences so far that it most likely will be correct. I put in the 6 mm allen and it was snug (again this made me feel like this was the correct head) and then when I torqued it to loosen it, it was stripped. After the fact, I took my cell phone and took a picture and it looked was a M8 triple square =(.

This was the last thing that I needed to get the turbo out. I tried ignoring the bracket but since the bracket was there, I could not angle the turbo out.

Anyway, I said f it and put everything back and now im having a shop do it since they probably have the tools necessary to remove that stripped bolt and get it done.

For those thinking about doing it this, the guide is awesome, just be super careful before removing bolts you cannot see clearly so you do not have to go what I have to go through.

Shoot that sucks. I would have tried a few things,
1) vice grips around the bolt head to break it loose
2) hammer in a slightly larger triple square socket and then use that to remove it. Obviously replace it after.
3) bring it to a shop like you did

One of the bolts was a triple square and the other was a 6mm allen. There are only two 6mm allens on my car (2011). One on the heatshield and one on the turbo bracket.

mrgoodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, there was only one 6 mm plug on my 2010 it was only the heatsheild. Oh well you live and you learn. I should looked before I leaped.

I tried hammering another bolt in there but because of the restrictive space I can really hammer it in.

I just thought to myself at that point I'll just let the shop take car it, thanks for input :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Candubber

Ready to race!
Thank you to the originator of this DIY - it saved me a huge amount sof money - my turbo ingested some electrical tape(long story) and it jammed the turbo impeller.

I'm pretty handy guy but to remove a turbo I was a bit nervous to say the least!

followed this DIY to a T and out the turbo came... although it did take me 12 hrs lol the hardst part was accessing the coolant and oil tube bolts the drive shaft was in the way but with wobble extensions and sockets it worked - BTW I did not have any of the "M triple squares" bits so I used torx bit which work awesome! my car only has 20,000 so everything was easy to remove.

anyway Thanks again turbo was cleaned (no damage) running like new with no leaks

:thumbsup:

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Thank you to the originator of this DIY - it saved me a huge amount sof money - my turbo ingested some electrical tape(long story) and it jammed the turbo impeller.

I'm pretty handy guy but to remove a turbo I was a bit nervous to say the least!

followed this DIY to a T and out the turbo came... although it did take me 12 hrs lol the hardst part was accessing the coolant and oil tube bolts the drive shaft was in the way but with wobble extensions and sockets it worked - BTW I did not have any of the "M triple squares" bits so I used torx bit which work awesome! my car only has 20,000 so everything was easy to remove.

anyway Thanks again turbo was cleaned (no damage) running like new with no leaks

:thumbsup:

I was so nervous about dropping a bolt into the turbo during install

Mis-typoed using tapatalk

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I did it in a garage, but I was holding the manual and guiding them around...

As weird as it sounds, thats how every job that requires a lift goes for me...I need to be there or else they mess up on things specific to the install..

There are a few pointers you WILL miss without this tutorial..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk