GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody considering the GLI?

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
If you are comparing the base 2.0 Jetta to the GLI model, that is like comparing the base Honda Civic to the Si. Doesn't quite work because, yes, you get to see how the interior is laid out, but the engine and other 'refinements' is really what makes the GLI different than the base.

The GTI is definitely going to be superior to the GLI, at least in the Mk6 version, as far as refinements interior wise. The GLI advantage is slightly more room on the interior, especially as a 4 door sedan compared to a 4 door hatch. Not saying the GTI doesn't have a decent size interior, just saying the GLI is a little more spacious inside than the GTI.

If you already have the GTI, I really wouldn't sweat or consider the GLI as a trade. Not worth the trade/hassle in my opinion. :thumbsup:

shredX

Ready to race!
Yeh, it was a quick test drive of a base GLI vs my base GTI + stage 1.
I'm still willing to check out an Autobahn before I make a final decision.

Not sure the GLI has enough room to justify the "upgrade".

I am, on the other hand, very intrigued by the TDI SEL Passat. Sweet wheels and lots of room.

New CC has disappointing headroom.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Yeh, it was a quick test drive of a base GLI vs my base GTI + stage 1.
I'm still willing to check out an Autobahn before I make a final decision.

Not sure the GLI has enough room to justify the "upgrade".

I am, on the other hand, very intrigued by the TDI SEL Passat. Sweet wheels and lots of room.

New CC has disappointing headroom.

If you're seriously wanting to trade in the VW family then upgrade. Don't downgrade. Passat or CC. If you don't like either then upgrade to audi or BMW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
True. And hopefully all of VW avoids this fate. I have a Jetta TDI MK6. The GLI is simply a little nicer trim, wish still does not say much. This GLI is such a poor effort by VW compared to the MK4 and MK5 GLIs.

The Jetta is supposed to be on par with Toyotas, that is VW's business strategy. All of those little cost cutting corners they've taken are solid proof. To enthusiasts, those little quality details are we've come to expect from VW.
The MKIV GLI (1.8t not vr6) was the last of that trim level that really stood out.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Thats fine for the Jetta, but they should not bother with GLI anymore then. Just create an R line Jetta. Just like the CC.

ImmI

Ready to race!
Not being able to turn off traction control is a deal breaker for me...

DriverFound1

Ready to race!
Window sticker says assembled in mexico

All you have to do is look at the VIN in the windshield. If it starts with a W then it was built in Germany if anything other than a W its from elsewhere.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
All you have to do is look at the VIN in the windshield. If it starts with a W then it was built in Germany if anything other than a W its from elsewhere.

This is a pretty big deal. I've heard you can mod one in, but still. :thumbdown:

My last car was a loaded MKV Jetta 2.0T. When I was car shopping for a replacement I test drove an Autobahn GTI at my favorite local VW dealer first (where I've bought 5 cars). I really liked it but wanted to drive a GLI first, and they didn't have any on the lot. Then about a week later I was close to a different dealer and dropped in to drive a new GLI. While on the test drive in that car, I was so disappointed that I called my dealership back and had them hold the GTI until I got there later that day. Yes, I made the deal for my GTI while driving the GLI — I was that disappointed in it.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Neighbor's got a Mk5 GLI and I'd say that would be on par with trading from the mk5 GTI to it. The Mk6 though? Not much...it just feels totally different and not as refined as the Mk5 GLI does.

Agreed. My GF has an mk5. Much more solid car. But even with just 33k miles on it there's significant wear on the car. If you're in an mk6 stay in your GTI unless passat or CC is the trade.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

shredX

Ready to race!
Update: went with silver VR6 Passat SEL Prem

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
GLI:

Pros: longer wheelbase, slightly better stability, purportedly sounds better

GTI:

Pros: hatchback

Winner: GTI.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
GLI:

Pros: longer wheelbase, Fender audio, 4k cheaper, Mexico, Looks a lot like most jettas on the road

GTI:

Pros: hatchback, HIDs, Germany, fairly rare,

Winner: GTI.

fixt