GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs. Manual

haydini

Just an update: I test drove a manual, and although it felt nice, I still went with the DSG. We found an amazing deal on one down in Atlanta (3.5 hour drive) and it was an autobahn package, VW certified, low mileage, and a 2010. I actually love the DSG transmission because it feels a lot like a manual, just without having the 3rd pedal or the fear of missing a gear. I'm not saying manuals are bad, I just love the DSG over the manual version :). But thank you everyone for answering and I am going to go take pictures of my car now :D.

Thanks again :DDD

BP11

Banned
Congrats! You'll love it! I test drove both and went with the manual. Definitely
regret it.

McQueen77

Banned
CSB

AgustinMk6

Ok. Here's how I see it. I came from a 2007 dsg mkv gti. I got the car because at the moment it was the only choice I had. So I had it for like a year. I had stage 2 on it. I liked the car. And the power it was putting down. But I wasn't really enjoying It. The things that bothered me were how laggy it was. Like from a dead stop. Even on Normal take offs it wasn't that responsive. Since mine was 07 it had launch control. It literally took 1 second after I let go the brake to take off. And I've driven other dsg Gtis that were the same way. Something else that I didn't really like was like when I would go to a car meet or whatever and ppl asked about my car and I told them it was automatic they were like -_- and I felt the same way too. Like it felt weird to have a "sport car" automatic. The time came and I bought a mk6 cw 6speed. Since I got it I've put apr turbo back, apr 1+2 intake, and stage 2 tune. And god I love this car. I feel like I can connect with it. Like the car does what I want it too not the ecu. It's just much more fun in a way. That's my .2 cents.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
If you want to go k04 or higher, I would go dsg. The manual clutch can't hold the k04 power, so it'd be another thing you'd have to do in order to go k04. If I had to do it again, I'd have gone DSG. If you will only look at stock tuning, stage one, or stage 2, then manual is the way to go, a lot more fun to drive....

quality_sound

hmm.......
If the driveability of the DSG, especially at low speeds was better I'd agree. I also hate how DSG disconnects you from the road. The only two cars I ever went into corners too hot in were both DSGs. My '08 GTI and an '11 Scirocco R.

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!
I personally hate driving an auto. When I was at the vw dealership they kept trying to get me to test drive a dsg. I declined lol! Now after owning my car I kind of wanna see what all the fuss is about. I drove my brother's 5 series bmw, not sure it was duel clutch or not, but I still hated it. DSG is faster tho, but there is nothing like driving a dumped manual car over speed bumps :)

completely agree, i have owned multiple manual vehicles, and i test drove a DSG before i drove a manual gti and i hated every second of it, was no impressed. I could care less that is shifts faster, im not a racecar driver, i dont track my car, so just having more fun driving the streets, Manual all day long

kri$han

Passed Driver's Ed
... I could care less that is shifts faster, im not a racecar driver, i dont track my car, so just having more fun driving the streets, Manual all day long

Even if you did track the car (roadcourse, that is), one of the first things Ian Law track school has taught me was that shifting quickly doesn't significantly improve lap times (I think they were just trying to prevent us n00bs from breaking our cars, tho LOL)

Super satisfying to nail the heel-toe technique, too :thumbup: As DSG gets more and more popular, it's gaining traction, but I'm gonna stick with my shift gates for as long as practically possible :)

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i ended up putting a cvt into mine. I just love that drone