GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs. Manual

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Get a manual if your primary goal is driving pleasure.
Get a DSG if you drive in heavy traffic a lot.

I think it's as simple as that. Manual is also the budget choice, seeing as the DSG is $1,100 more not including the DSG service every 40K which is between $265-500. *Edit* Also $600 for a DSG tune if you want to make it usable.

Last edited:

jjmc13

Passed Driver's Ed
Manual all day! I remember trying to decide between manual and DSG
Pros of DSG:
Faster
Better MPG
Easier for city driving

Pros of Manual
its a manual

3 years later and I am still happy I chose manual it's just more fun to me.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
prepare for a new clutch if you're tuned tho haha, makes up the $1100 price difference

but i prefer manual =)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
DSG.

I like getting obliterated and have my girl drive me home without fucking shit up.
Plus traffic sucks (I4 for those of you peps in Florida know what i mean)

#Savetheknee

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
prepare for a new clutch if you're tuned tho haha, makes up the $1100 price difference

but i prefer manual =)

Gahh I forget that you guys got the short end of the stick with clutches. Our FSI clutches do fine at 2/2+ levels and the MK7 clutches are holding up great as well. No doubt that negates the price (Unless you choose a budget option like the drop in disk). That still leaves you with a $600 DSG tune, and a $265-500 service every 40K miles.

DSG.

I like getting obliterated and have my girl drive me home without fucking shit up.

This is a point I can respect :)

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Gahh I forget that you guys got the short end of the stick with clutches. Our FSI clutches do fine at 2/2+ levels and the MK7 clutches are holding up great as well. No doubt that negates the price (Unless you choose a budget option like the drop in disk). That still leaves you with a $600 DSG tune, and a $300-500 service every 40K miles.

This is a point I can respect :)

I'll do dsg services for 265 out the door for anyone in chicago. just sayin.

shameless plug.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I don't understand this. You can get more performance (read: results) out of a DSG over a manual. Also, you bring up the maintenance costs of the DSG...but if you plan on tuning the vehicle...you have to buy a better clutch for the manual. Something you do not need to do with a DSG.

edit: I'm not against manual. My next car will most likely be manual. But that because the DSG has jaded me. It is an amazing transmission. I just want to be engaged a little more.

Don't listen to all that 1/4 mile difference crap. It's so small, you wouldn't be able to notice and once you tune the manual, most of those #s are moot point anyway, the car will get up and go when your in a rush with them groceries, lol.
As far as fuel efficiency goes, I've gotten 39mpg at my best.

If you enjoy manual, don't think twice about it. If you honestly find manual a pain or a nuisance, get DSG. It takes the work out of performing in the performance car. :D

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
you guys and your broken clutches? either lots of forum members learned to drive stick playing gran turismo, or my clutch is made of adamantium cause ive been stage 2 for two years now and beat on that thing all day long with no issues whatsoever.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
you guys and your broken clutches? either lots of forum members learned to drive stick playing gran turismo, or my clutch is made of adamantium cause ive been stage 2 for two years now and beat on that thing all day long with no issues whatsoever.

you're one of the few with a unicorn clutch...there are people who just went to new tune and immediately slipped and when they changed out for aftermarket clutch, the OEM unit isn't even worn. and people who doesn't have funds to get an aftermarket clutch revert back to stock mode and runs perfectly fine.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
you're one of the few with a unicorn clutch...there are people who just went to new tune and immediately slipped and when they changed out for aftermarket clutch, the OEM unit isn't even worn. and people who doesn't have funds to get an aftermarket clutch revert back to stock mode and runs perfectly fine.

The world may never know(said in the Tootsie pop commercial voice)

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@APRMK6GTi also, when I installed my motor mounts I could here that clutch a lot better too, sounds healthy and strong as hell, so I keep enjoying it! lucky break I suppose, I have my stock water pump too at 55k, only issue so far has been a flapper replacement!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
@APRMK6GTi also, when I installed my motor mounts I could here that clutch a lot better too, sounds healthy and strong as hell, so I keep enjoying it! lucky break I suppose, I have my stock water pump too at 55k, only issue so far has been a flapper replacement!

which motor mounts did you get? i'm thinking of getting 034 street density ones

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Having owned both DSG and Manual GTIs, I can tell you that I much prefer the stick. Why? Simple: it's involving. I personally think the GTI is a great all-rounder. It's just as good for commuting as it is for enjoying your favorite backroad. That being said, when you drive the DSG, it becomes boring all too quickly. Even without a tune, the car is relatively quick. As a result, you really don't get the opportunity to play with the paddles too much. Even when you do, it just isn't as much fun as rowing your own. Sure, a DSG equipped car is going to be quicker than a manual one, but do you really care? If you're going to be going to the drag strip, sure. But if not, then who cares if your car is .3 seconds slower?

To me, it all comes down to which one you're going to enjoy driving on a day to day basis. For me, I had the DSG for 3 years. I traded it in for a manual. I don't regret it for a second.