GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ALLSET'S SHOP REVIEW: KMD TUNING -SADDLE BROOK, NJ-CARBON CLEANING & TENSIONER SWAP

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Catch can. :thumbsup:

Thanks @Zillon

Running 95RON gas would make the carbon build even quicker I believe. I hope that my WMI will do the cleaning part instead.

allset

Go Kart Champion
yes sorry catch can.

im not running direct port meth which is the best way to get the most valve cleaning from w/m.

Im using w/m as an IAT coolant so its injected way back at the intercooler

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
yes sorry catch can.

im not running direct port meth which is the best way to get the most valve cleaning from w/m.

Im using w/m as an IAT coolant so its injected way back at the intercooler

So I take it that you only running one nozzle right?

allset

Go Kart Champion
So I take it that you only running on nozzle right?

right one CM5 super atomizing nozzle. i have a nozzle bung im going to mount in the cool side outlet port on my intercooler. a hole has to be drilled with threads so the bung can be screwed in with the threads on the outside of the bung. The bung is stainless steel and the IC is aluminum alloy so it cant be welded.

ill prob seal it with JB weld also

allset

Go Kart Champion
plan on spraying about 300 cc/m at 220 psi

allset

Go Kart Champion
again im faced with an install for this bung that i dont have the right bits to thread a hole; so ill prob go to KMD for it.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
right one CM5 super atomizing nozzle. i have a nozzle bung im going to mount in the cool side outlet port on my intercooler. a hole has to be drilled with threads so the bung can be screwed in with the threads on the outside of the bung. The bung is stainless steel and the IC is aluminum alloy so it cant be welded.

ill prob seal it with JB weld also

I'm running two nozzles:
- Pre tb
- Pre MAP

Future plan is getting the BSH TB and probably keep the same setup. I was surprised with the cooling effect when I logged my car previsuoly. The IAT jumped down from 34C to 16C in no time.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I'm running two nozzles:
- Pre tb
- Pre MAP

Future plan is getting the BSH TB and probably keep the same setup. I was surprised with the cooling effect when I logged my car previsuoly. The IAT jumped down from 34C to 16C in no time.

wat TB pipe u running that has a pre map meth bung besides BSH?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
KMD is an awesome shop...I used to use them when they were in Mountainside. When I got my mk6 I started using the other shop but they are fucking crazy with amount of hours they want to do some jobs but I will be the longer trip to KMD now.

Did they walnut blast them? They cleaned up good

allset

Go Kart Champion
KMD is an awesome shop...I used to use them when they were in Mountainside. When I got my mk6 I started using the other shop but they are fucking crazy with amount of hours they want to do some jobs but I will be the longer trip to KMD now.

Did they walnut blast them? They cleaned up good

KMD is the better shop.

spotless, i think it was solvent not walnut shells.

McQueen77

Banned
nice thanks man. so this is basically a way deeper process than what VW claims to do which is a BG44k or equivalent process. so it was $700 for a 2 step process? they run the solvent through a vacuum port, gas tank etc. and then you come back and they do the manual cleaning? at first glance its like "shit, $700 is steep!" but then when you think about it, its really not bad if you can 'even out' the impact of the 60k maintenance cost by some DIY. for example, oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. can all be done for relatively cheap at home, yourself. so saving money that way can make the $700 sting a little less. honestly though, for those of us who plan on keeping the car a while, it sounds like this is essential.

ill be interested to see which shops in so cal offer this service, do a legit job of it and do it on a regular basis. your valves were worked dude! wow, night and day difference. im sure the car drives like new now, and with k04 etc. it must pull so hard.

oh its real. And the performance gain after the remove it is unreal. More power than its ever had.

a week prior they used the 3 step treatment, solvent in oil, gas ind into throttle body. Came back a week later and they tear down and use solvents and elbow grease, also replaced fuel injector seals, plugs.

yeah, i was going to say, you would think that plugs would have to be replaced after this whole ordeal. the part that the VW Dealer doesnt mention about this solvent treatment they do is replacing plugs, or changing oil afterwards or anything. i even asked about that and they said 'no its fine'. ITS FINE? how could it be fine after you are running and pushing all that shit through your system? seems like, even if all that were done is a solvent treatment, youd need to change oil and plugs afterwards no? after seeing this too, I am skeptical as to how much something like BG44k or similar can really do vs. that PLUS the elbow grease scraping factor. if you have carbon buildup, hardened and caked on after 60k miles of service, how is some solvent going to just melt all that away? I bet that it takes a superficial layer off but if you pulled the intake manifold and looked at the valves after just the solution, i doubt it would be nearly as clean as your's are. seems like it makes more sense just to bite the bullet at 60k and do this.

Last edited:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
i would, they aren't all that far from Bucks County.

Dan noted most of my build up was carbon and very little oil which usually points to poor quality gas. I used many diff brands but always the major names and did use BP often since its closest to my home. He did some testing and research on an RS4 that had build up, misfires and pinging. the RS4's owner said he used BP, they drained the tank and filled with Sunoco, misfires and pinging stopped right off.

i forgot how he explained it but The way BP calculates RON, 93 isn't really 93. Said never use BP and recommended the below brands #1 being first choice:

1 Sunoco
2 Exxon/mobile
3 shell

This has nothing to do with top tier fuel ratings which deal with detergents in the gas which as we all know do not help our DI engines. It more octane related consistency.

i dont have a catch can and even though they dont do much for carbon/valve build up, I plan to install one mainly for the extra water im spraying from the Methanol. So i hope the combo of good gas, catch can and methanol injection will help keep the valves cleaner longer

thats very interesting. ive always been really picky with what i put in my car, and in the year ive had my car, ive strictly done 93 bp,sunoco,or shell and nothing else. ill def skip bp and continue with sunoco or shell from now on. it would be great if ryan can chime in here and clear this up a bit better. whats funny is that vw says to not worry about carbon buildup if we use top tier gas. it looks like they might be right. (bp isnt listed)

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Fuel shouldn't matter the problem with DI and carbon build up is because the fuel doesn't flow through the intake ports and valves so the detergent in fuel doesn't clean them