GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Driving Impressions with ESC Fully off

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I'm the former owner of a 2009 TSI MKV. It was lightly modded with a Hotchkiss rear bar, APR Stage 1, and brakes. It was my favorite daily, I adored the car. But as I got along in auto cross and track driving, the lack of defeatable ESC got frustrating. Sure, if ESC is kicking in, you're overdriving the car. I get that. But sometimes it's just fun to hoon, and my GTI prevented that. No lift-off oversteer, cutting the throttle when trying to power out of a sharp hairpin in auto-x, the thing just frustrated me at the limit. As a result, I sold it and I've missed the car every day since.

I've been trying to find on-track driving impressions from people with 12 or 13 GTI's with defeated ESC. I can't find anything besides people slip-sliding in the snow. I grew up in Michigan, I know how much fun that can be. Still, I'm wondering if ESC off on a 12 or 13 would make me love the GTI again?

Anyone have thoughts?

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Hey,

I have a 2013 with APR S1 tune and intake. Also have a Neuspeed RSB and ESC off thru Vagcom. I have a friend with a 2010 with a full stage 2, VWR coilovers, and a wavetrac. He drove my car, and said it was profoundly better than stock, which made me happy. It definitely is. I have a friend with a stock TDI, and it was similar to my GTI stock (suspension wise). It's heaps better, won't frustrate you, and will allow you to drive like a hooligan when the need arises.

Unfortunately, you live across the country, but hopefully someone in your area will chime in, and you'll get infinitely more information driving than reading stuff on forums. Good luck!

Jack14

Ready to race!
Yeah the best way to find out is to drive it. Although its kinda hard to tell the salesman that you want to turn off the esc and drive like a maniac on the test drive. Also impretty sure that turning off the esc in the car by pressing the button dosent turn it fully off. But im sure its enough to have a good time. :thumbsup:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the best way to find out is to drive it. Although its kinda hard to tell the salesman that you want to turn off the esc and drive like a maniac on the test drive. Also impretty sure that turning off the esc in the car by pressing the button dosent turn it fully off. But im sure its enough to have a good time. :thumbsup:

He knows that, he's talking about the 12 and 13 VCDS bit flip and wants owner input. No dealer is ever gonna allow that, obviously.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Didn't I read somewhere that the Canadian cars allow you to fully disable ESC by holding down the ESP button? Stoopid lawyers... :paddle:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Hey check my build thread. 2nd page. Found it fun and damned rewarding to know how the chassis really wants to behave but it added almost 2 seconds to my laps. Made me appreciate ESC that much more.

butchered by autocorrect

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Didn't I read somewhere that the Canadian cars allow you to fully disable ESC by holding down the ESP button? Stoopid lawyers... :paddle:

Yes, 12's and up can disable ESC fully like ROW cars with a vag-com tweak. Have it on my car and it's great. :thumbup:

butchered by autocorrect

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Does this VCDS tweak result in completely inoperative ESC, or does it mean that it's still controllable via the button, with the exception being "off" is truly off?

A_Bowers

Does this VCDS tweak result in completely inoperative ESC, or does it mean that it's still controllable via the button, with the exception being "off" is truly off?

Its controllable like the TCS system.

Press and short hold. TCS off

Press and Long hold TCS and ESC off

short press again, both on.

its sweet

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

The vcds tweak for '12 and up makes the button function as ROW. That is, press to disable TCS and press and hold to disable ESC. Should have been more specific.

butchered by autocorrect

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Ah. Good to know. I think I know what my next mod will be.