GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TimNeedsCoffee10's Build Thread -

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Man you are going straight for speed and quality ain't you hahah...Looks awesome. Btw I'm located in Binghamton and I constantly get the FX Caprara commercials down here hahah

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Man you are going straight for speed and quality ain't you hahah...Looks awesome. Btw I'm located in Binghamton and I constantly get the FX Caprara commercials down here hahah

Thanks - I bought the car from FX, but they've never seen it again. They're about 70 miles from me, so it wasn't even worth the trips down there for my scheduled maintenance in the beginning. Decent guys, there, though - I got a great deal on my trade (MKIV GTI VR6) when I bought my MK6 from them. A couple guys there float around these forums too (don't know their usernames, but they grabbed me one day when they saw my APR badge when I went in to pick up some parts) - so I suspect they *may* be mod-friendly.

But man are their commercials bad. Them and Fucillo, if I never see one more Fucillo "huuuuuuuuge" commercial I'd die a happy man.

red11

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome build, great to see this.

What do you think of the SPM mounts? I have the BFI myself, but have seen a few guys switch over.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Awesome build, great to see this.

What do you think of the SPM mounts? I have the BFI myself, but have seen a few guys switch over.

Thanks! Appreciate it :). The SPM mounts are pretty awesome. Very well crafted - but most importantly to me, the hardness (75a durometer) is just right. My BFI Stage 1's (65a durometer) were great - but I wanted something harder ever since I went Stage 2 - and was really nervous about going to BFI Stage 2 (85a durometer). Having the SPM's in for a couple hundred miles now, I'm certain I would have regretted BFI Stage 2 in a daily driver.

I'm still in the break-in period for my SPMs (500 miles), and the cabin vibrations are smoothing out nicely the more I drive.

Very highly recommended upgrade!

With my K04 in, I'm still not getting any wheel hop. That may change after I have my new clutch which holds the power better - but it's all spin, and no slop right now.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Came across a couple photos of my old 2004 MKIV GTI VR6, 6-speed manual. Her name was Brenda, and I loved her... she was the first new car I ever owned. Here's the better of the bunch I found.

CIMG1054.jpg

Like the super-ghetto truck-bed-liner painted trim? haha. I was forever getting door dinged in this car, so I put a stop to that.

She was almost entirely stock ... I had replaced a lot of wear items, but all with OEM parts, so she drove mostly like new until I traded her in for my MKVI GTI. I discovered vwvortex while I had this car, and started learning a lot about doing my own maintenance and service. This really was how it all got started.

She had 75,000 miles on her when I traded her in. I was able to negotiate $9,500 on the trade, too! Not to bad, I don't think.

That VR6 engine was something -- smooth as butter, and pure power.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Man... it's embarrassing how badly neglected my GTI has been. What a difference 30 minutes can make.

What a winter season of neglect does:
CIMG2216.jpg

And just 30 minutes in the Spring to start things off
CIMG2218.jpg

I spent a good bit of time cleaning the engine bay during my K04 install. It was WELL past time to do the interior a bit. This was just a quick wipe-down and thorough vacuuming. Nothing too crazy. I plan to go at it with some better cleaner, and detailing brushes soon. But not before I wash/clay/polish/wax the exterior next time it's not raining here.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
A couple people over the winter flashed at me because they thought I was driving with my brights on -- so I finally got around to realigning my headlights this evening. Here's the cut-off against my garage, from about 25 feet back.

CIMG2221.jpg

Before I adjusted them down, they were falling just below the top of the second panel up from the ground. Still might be a touch high - but better safe than sorry here in deer-country.

In other news, my NewSouth boost gauge came today. I bought it with the TFSI fitting, instead of the multi-tap hose, because I didn't do my research. I don't like the idea of tapping that unused manifold port on my engine, so I picked up the APR tap instead, and will install as soon as that comes in.

Also have an Optima Red Top 35 arriving tomorrow - my stock battery is about at the end of its life, and I've had good luck with them before. I've read the recent reviews about them - but it was still priced well (on Amazon) against what my local shops are charging me for their store brands.

I love this time of year :).

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
What's interesting about the lights is I have mine where the driver side is straight ahead and the passenger side to the right some to cast light onto the side more.

Light output is fantastic doe.

Interesting - ill have to experiment a bit. I'm not really sure how they should line up side to side. I have pretty good visibility at though, so not too worried.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Cool. So I have both mine pointed towards the cars center-line. I'll adjust both outwards, the drivers side just a touch so it's pointing forward, and then the passenger for better visibility along the roadside.

A_Bowers

Cool. So I have both mine pointed towards the cars center-line. I'll adjust both outwards, the drivers side just a touch so it's pointing forward, and then the passenger for better visibility along the roadside.

Yessir!!! I think you will find that it produces much more even light.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Yessir!!! I think you will find that it produces much more even light.

Alright - took another stab at it... here's how she projects right now. My passenger side projector could use a slight rotation, but it's not off by too much. Next time I have nothing to do, I'll try to get that adjusted though.

CIMG2228.jpg

It's definitely distributing light more evenly instead of having the one bright spot in the center, which is nice. It'll bug me a little having the projector uneven like that, but once I fix it, it'll be a cleaner cut-off.