GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed GTI Front Mount Intercooler Review

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I finally got to test this unit in hot weather, here are some thoughts. WetMoney's thread probably gets a metric fuck load more traffic then mine so here goes:

1.) the power loss when it is warm outside is much, much, much, much more acceptable. While there is still a power loss it isn't nearly as bad as the stock unit. I used to hate driving in hot weather but now it doesn't bother me, even though the car is a bit slower it still pulls hard. Just not AS hard. Those 50 degree mornings are the best :)
2.) there is noticeably more turbo lag then the stock unit. I noticed it the first time I drove the car after sealing up the last boost leak. When it's warm out the lag is almost 300 RPM later then usual. Whatever, that's normal for most front mounts
3.) the power band is a lot "flatter." I noticed, especially above the 50's, the powerband became super super peaky and felt like a big, uncontrollable lump at 4000 RPM then it would fall on it's face at 4800. Now the revs are a lot smoother all the way across the band and the car pulls noticeably harder towards redline, you'll notice this the most in higher gears at speed (highway power is the only useful power in this car anyway)
4.) maybe I'm the only one who would notice this, but when I ran the stock unit i would literally drive down my street and the spool was like 5 times quieter then usual because the stock unit got hot (NO A/C). Now it's always loud (ish for a tiny IHI) and even if the ic gets warm and the spool gets a bit quieter as soon as you start moving it becomes normal again. Love that.
5.) this thing cools back down pretty quickly. After sitting in stop and go traffic, obviously everything feels a little sluggish, but once you start moving again it returns to normal quickly. When you are moving at faster speeds the car gets faster every time you go WOT the first few times, it feels great.
6.) did I mention it looks badass, especially from a distance?
7.) i was going to run no lower grill but am glad I didnt, that thing has kept countless stones and random crap from the road from denting those beautifully dense fins ;)
8.) CHECK YOUR HOSE CLAMPS AFTER THE FIRST FEW DAYS TO MAKE SURE THEY DIDN'T COME LOOSE. I had a hose pop off on me at Midnight in a fairly sketchy part of Pittsburgh... Granted I had a lot of friends who lived nearby but trying to put the hose back on in a bank parking lot when you can't take off the belly pan or bumper sucked ass. But I did it somehow lol...
9.) i remember various people mentioning to watch your AC lines when they drill holes for these mounts. I didn't have AC lines behind that piece of plastic, just a thick piece of metal...? Regardless, be careful there. Always drill too small and adjust.

Just my .02

Lastly, has anyone done an intercooler sprayer on a GTI? I'm considering it, I hate how badly our cars drive when it gets REALLY hot out. Before everyone suggests w/m, I'm not drilling holes into my intake manifold. Sorry, that is one irreversible mod that I'm not willing to make.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I finally got to test this unit in hot weather, here are some thoughts. WetMoney's thread probably gets a metric fuck load more traffic then mine so here goes:

1.) the power loss when it is warm outside is much, much, much, much more acceptable. While there is still a power loss it isn't nearly as bad as the stock unit. I used to hate driving in hot weather but now it doesn't bother me, even though the car is a bit slower it still pulls hard. Just not AS hard. Those 50 degree mornings are the best :)
2.) there is noticeably more turbo lag then the stock unit. I noticed it the first time I drove the car after sealing up the last boost leak. When it's warm out the lag is almost 300 RPM later then usual. Whatever, that's normal for most front mounts
3.) the power band is a lot "flatter." I noticed, especially above the 50's, the powerband became super super peaky and felt like a big, uncontrollable lump at 4000 RPM then it would fall on it's face at 4800. Now the revs are a lot smoother all the way across the band and the car pulls noticeably harder towards redline, you'll notice this the most in higher gears at speed (highway power is the only useful power in this car anyway)
4.) maybe I'm the only one who would notice this, but when I ran the stock unit i would literally drive down my street and the spool was like 5 times quieter then usual because the stock unit got hot (NO A/C). Now it's always loud (ish for a tiny IHI) and even if the ic gets warm and the spool gets a bit quieter as soon as you start moving it becomes normal again. Love that.
5.) this thing cools back down pretty quickly. After sitting in stop and go traffic, obviously everything feels a little sluggish, but once you start moving again it returns to normal quickly. When you are moving at faster speeds the car gets faster every time you go WOT the first few times, it feels great.
6.) did I mention it looks badass, especially from a distance?
7.) i was going to run no lower grill but am glad I didnt, that thing has kept countless stones and random crap from the road from denting those beautifully dense fins ;)
8.) CHECK YOUR HOSE CLAMPS AFTER THE FIRST FEW DAYS TO MAKE SURE THEY DIDN'T COME LOOSE. I had a hose pop off on me at Midnight in a fairly sketchy part of Pittsburgh... Granted I had a lot of friends who lived nearby but trying to put the hose back on in a bank parking lot when you can't take off the belly pan or bumper sucked ass. But I did it somehow lol...
9.) i remember various people mentioning to watch your AC lines when they drill holes for these mounts. I didn't have AC lines behind that piece of plastic, just a thick piece of metal...? Regardless, be careful there. Always drill too small and adjust.

Just my .02

Lastly, has anyone done an intercooler sprayer on a GTI? I'm considering it, I hate how badly our cars drive when it gets REALLY hot out. Before everyone suggests w/m, I'm not drilling holes into my intake manifold. Sorry, that is one irreversible mod that I'm not willing to make.
:w00t:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I wonder how much of an upgrade this is over the golf R intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion

well it is def an upgrade from stock.
But this is a true front mount. so hard to say against the Golf R.

If this FMIC wasnt around. I wouldn't get the Golf R IC. I would atleast get a S3 IC, Unitronic, APR or SPM.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion

Honestly I don't think it is worth the labor of a stock location intercooler upgrade if its only a slightly larger shitty OEM one... IMHO. If you're going to get a stock location upgrade get a real one like WetMoney said. If you want a REAL intercooler, get a true front mount (I say this with respect, the sandwiched ones obviously work fine for a lot of people)

I don't understand why people would pay 600$+ for a new intercooler that mounts in the same place which is the main root of the problem with the stock one, but that's just me, do whatever fits your build and driving style most.

Stero1Dcc

Ready to race!

Its IN... Love it

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
that looks amazing! im curious to see how it would look with the lower grille insert tho.

how was the install?

...and that B5 :drool:

Spyder368

Ready to race!
Hey Wet,

Your review says t25 only for the bumper screws yet the instructions mention needing a t30 bit and in the description below the picture to remove the screws says t20 lol.

Will I be fine just getting a t25 bit to take the bumper off for this install?

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Hey Wet,

Your review says t25 only for the bumper screws yet the instructions mention needing a t30 bit and in the description below the picture to remove the screws says t20 lol.

Will I be fine just getting a t25 bit to take the bumper off for this install?

Get a whole set off Amazon for $16. Chances are you'll need a bit from there more than once while working on our cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10071A-Professional-Grade-T-Socket-13-Piece/dp/B000J0TF6G/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1395187134&sr=1-1&keywords=torx+bit+set