GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Not liking the styling is one thing.
(Though I personally don't see how you can like a MK6 say, and not like a MK5 & MK7, MK1...)
People can like whatever styling they like.
(Though even in this regard, I think that there are some who seek out something to nit pick about in order to say, "See?" "I don't like that!"

Those people who seem to be on a perpetual witch hunt to find something to point to on the car in order to prove some notion that the US is getting some cheaper Mexi-engineered version that is of lower build quality and constructed of lower quality materials than the MK6 or the MK7s built in Germany is a different matter.

I like the MK5 and MK1. Its true that the MK7 is another step in the general direction started with the MK6, however in my opinion its a step too far.

Its not even that, its just that they didn't pull it off. Its more angular but in a Mazda 3 way, not in an aggressive way. Anyway, purely subjective.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm in the boat with people who generally dislike it based solely on online pics, lol. Of course, I'm completely open minded for when I get to view one in person and can get a realistic opinion rather than a sitting back and looking kind of opinion.
I probably will never test drive one and nor do I really have interest to, but if it does great things and continues to give the GTI name a good rep, then I'm all for it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
That's all fine and good but in my empirical observations of the car, the interior does feel cheaper. If you think there's not a difference between German made and Mexican made cars why not buy an audi made in Mexico, or a bmw for that matter? It's because there is a noticeable difference. The clearest example is the new jetta. It's interior has gotten cheaper after it's change in production location. Additionally, you keep saying to people the only reason they don't like the mk7 is bc they already decided not to like it. That is wrong. I don't like the mk7 bc of what I stated above, no preconceptions. Although one could argue that your predisposed into liking the car. Just my opinions.

1) I would absolutely buy a BMW or Audi assembled in Mexico if I were in the market for one.

2) You're another guy that doesn't get that the current gen, Jetta was designed and engineered in Germany to be Americanized and to be able to enter the American marketplace at some ridiculously low advertised price of some $16K or so.
That is not what is going on with the Golf & GTI.

Last edited:

Itgb

Passed Driver's Ed
I was thinking about picking up a MK6 about a year ago, test drove one and wasn't blown away with the engine. It felt like there was some turbo lag that was annoying so decided to wait and see if the MK7 would improve on this. I loved pretty much everything else about the MK6.

Fast forward to this year and I was able to check out the MK7 at the LA auto show and it completely met my expectations from a design and quality point of view. Obviously will have to wait for cars to arrive at dealers before any driving comparisons can be made.

All of this Mexico manufacturing nonsense is getting a little old. The current Jetta cannot be compared to the previous generation based on where it was manufactured. It is a completely redesigned car that was costed down for the American market. The same goes for the Passat. The only thing people have to worry about is the same problems that come up with any new generation of a car that are design related. Hopefully most of those issues will be resolved since the car has been in production for almost a year in Europe. There is a learning curve to assembling a product as complicated as a car is and some assembly mistakes can be made. However these same mistakes/overlooks can be made by Mexican factory workers or European ones. One would think that the quality systems that are setup in these facilities will catch 99.9% is these errors. I have been to factories all over the world, including Mexico, and seen how parts are made and products are assembled. There are always problems at the beginning of production. Once things stabilize in the production process there should be very little difference between European or Mexican made MK7s. I will also add that the majority of parts will be manufactured locally in Mexico, not shipped from Europe for assembly in Mexico. All new tooling will have been recreated at local Silao suppliers and there will be differences from parts in Europe. Any issues will be normal new production issues, not some substandard parts that some people are dreaming up.

Moral of the story. Mexican made MK7s will be have the same quality as German built ones after the normal production learning curve for a new car.

Along the same lines, BMW 3-series sold in the US are either from Germany or South Africa. Do you see BMW owners bitching about a quality difference between the 2 plants?

/rant

Gti207

Ready to race!
1) I would absolutely but a BMW or Audi assembled in Mexico if I were in the market for one.

2) You're another guy that doesn't get that the current gen, Jetta was designed and engineered in Germany to be Americanized and to be able to enter the American marketplace at some ridiculously low advertised price of some $16K or so.
That is not what is going on with the Golf & GTI.

Why did vw build the car in Mexico then? What are they trying to accomplish? It seems to me that they want to lower their input costs bc of Mexico's cheaper wages, simply lining their pockets bc the base price hasn't budged. Mexico or not, I didn't like the interior quality. Have you personally sat in the car? Bc I feel like if you did you would share the same sentiments.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The area where the VW plant is in Mexico has built 10 mil + vehicles. Thats alot of experience. The quality ratings of German made GTi's is frankly not that good.
Some of the posters here would be well to realize how many AUDI's are built in HUNGARY.
Also that is where ALOT of VW/AUDI engines are made...say like the one in your MK6. Cars are worldwide sourced and made now. Allegiance to 1 country or another is well beyond useless at this point. As long as I get value for what I pay for I dont really car where its made.
VW has an ENORMOUS plant in Russia for its market there. VW"s are made in the US as well. Get over the Germany piece. You will sleep better as it just doesnt effing matter to begin with.

Gti207

Ready to race!
I was thinking about picking up a MK6 about a year ago, test drove one and wasn't blown away with the engine. It felt like there was some turbo lag that was annoying so decided to wait and see if the MK7 would improve on this. I loved pretty much everything else about the MK6.

Fast forward to this year and I was able to check out the MK7 at the LA auto show and it completely met my expectations from a design and quality point of view. Obviously will have to wait for cars to arrive at dealers before any driving comparisons can be made.

All of this Mexico manufacturing nonsense is getting a little old. The current Jetta cannot be compared to the previous generation based on where it was manufactured. It is a completely redesigned car that was costed down for the American market. The same goes for the Passat. The only thing people have to worry about is the same problems that come up with any new generation of a car that are design related. Hopefully most of those issues will be resolved since the car has been in production for almost a year in Europe. There is a learning curve to assembling a product as complicated as a car is and some assembly mistakes can be made. However these same mistakes/overlooks can be made by Mexican factory workers or European ones. One would think that the quality systems that are setup in these facilities will catch 99.9% is these errors. I have been to factories all over the world, including Mexico, and seen how parts are made and products are assembled. There are always problems at the beginning of production. Once things stabilize in the production process there should be very little difference between European or Mexican made MK7s. I will also add that the majority of parts will be manufactured locally in Mexico, not shipped from Europe for assembly in Mexico. All new tooling will have been recreated at local Silao suppliers and there will be differences from parts in Europe. Any issues will be normal new production issues, not some substandard parts that some people are dreaming up.

Moral of the story. Mexican made MK7s will be have the same quality as German built ones after the normal production learning curve for a new car.

Along the same lines, BMW 3-series sold in the US are either from Germany or South Africa. Do you see BMW owners bitching about a quality difference between the 2 plants?

/rant

What 3s are made in South Africa? Mine sure as hell isn't.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
You should read what Corvette people think about the new generations when they come out. There are quite a few that will never buy a new one because they firmly believe that C7 should still have pop-up headlights.

Ah the purists....as if Chevy cares. If you dont buy the current model no manufacturer really cares what you think. If you arent driving the latest model you have a used car. The bottom line for that model has come and gone.

The Porsche purists rebelled against the water cooled models. Porsche stopped making them anyway and have made huge money on water cooled 911's no matter what the press or 'purists' had to say. I laugh at those folks. As if they are the manufacturer. Its pretty simple. Buy it or dont. 911's are faster than they ever have been because the air cooled technology had hit the development wall. Porsche kept the car rear engined and the rest is history. It continues to win on the track and in the showroom. Progress will always win vs the 'purists'. Hilarious.

Gti207

Ready to race!
If you arent driving the latest model you have a used car.

I loled....what an interesting statement. I personally like my e90 335is better than the f30 does that mean I'm driving a used pos?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I loled....what an interesting statement. I personally like my e90 335is better than the f30 does that mean I'm driving a used pos?

If you think so but in the automakers eyes you are already sold. Enjoy it. They would love to sell you a new one as that is how they make their money. I never alluded to anyone having a pos in anyway. My Gti is a 12.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Why did vw build the car in Mexico then? What are they trying to accomplish? It seems to me that they want to lower their input costs bc of Mexico's cheaper wages, simply lining their pockets bc the base price hasn't budged. Mexico or not, I didn't like the interior quality. Have you personally sat in the car? Bc I feel like if you did you would share the same sentiments.

Yes, they want to lower costs and make money while lining their pockets.
They claim that this may enable them to offer us more features at a better price, but I wouldn't bet on it.
They are a business after all.

But this is not the same thing as selling us a Jetta-ized Golf.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I feel model changes are all subjective and personal opinion.

Though I dont have experience lets say MK6 vs MK7 but I do have experinece with other brands and model changes. My example. I went from an Evo 8 to an Evo 9 to an Evo X.

I drove the 8/9 models for YEARS and loved them. Had my Evo X for 3 months and traded it in. I hated it.

Some cars you just connect with, some you dont. I think the MK7 looks nice, but I am more interested to see if VW fixed the stupid little problems within the previous version GTI/R. Example...Water pumps? Fuel Pumps? Rattles? stuff like that.

If the car is built in Germany or Mexico, as long as its engineered "better" and they fix the little crap that seems to piss off so many THAT may sway more people to buy the MK7.

Just my ten cents. :wosschilder980:

Jeff

speedster

Go Kart Champion

This.

Over the years they've made the car cheaper in a bunch of ways (rear brakes, stereo, leather wrapped steering wheel being an optional extra etc.). Now they're also saving on labor and shipping costs.

So why does the car cost more than it did 4 years ago?

formul8

My GLI farts
Why did vw build the car in Mexico then? What are they trying to accomplish?

A few reasons:

Far lower labor cost
Far lower transport cost into North and South America than from Europe
Much quicker transport time - car doesn't spend up to 6 weeks on a boat

So why does the car cost more than it did 4 years ago?

Inflation - everything is more expensive than 5 years ago
Economy - fewer cars sold means less profit
Profit Margins - gotta pay for those new factories somehow

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It prevents lift and sends more air through the radiator. Basically the air traveling under the car has a higher speed so it has a lower pressure, leading to more down force. The effect starts to be considerable around 60 mph, so worthwhile if you track you car, otherwise not so much.

Is this illustration specific to the VW or??

I ask because the OEM front spoiler does not stick out far enough to cause any real "Aero" affects. I think its just more for aesthetics.

for a front spliter or spoiler to produce down force or increase air volume into the radiator it would need to protrude out more than the 3/4" to 1" that the OEM piece sticks out.

At least in Theory.

Sounds good though.

Jeff