GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Went to the Chicago Auto Show today, as title saids. Here are my simplified comparison views along with my womans (who doesn't know much about cars).

My views.
1. The fake carbon fiber pattern looks terrible.
2. The carbon fiber plastic not only is obviously cheap plastic but feels like it. Did the knock test on it and it wasnt very solid.
3. The steering wheel looks odd, like a bar stool cushion put over the center of the mk6 wheel.
4. The rim pattern makes the rims look smaller than they actually are.
5. The badging on the sides and rear are nice, which makes me wonder if putting side badging on the mk6 wouldnt look too bad.
6. The interior armrest has more storage, id say enough to store an orange and an iphone. (simple comparison remember)
7. The gauges look absolutely beautiful, however alittle bit too much going on. Dont know if the one i saw will have both euro speed conversion and mph like the one i sat in.
8. The rear spoiler over the hatch looks normal how it splits outward on the upper sides, while it looks nice its alittle too mazdaspeed 3 for me.
9. Seats were very similar.
10. Didnt notice much of a size difference or stance.
11. Inside the glove box there was 2 sd card slots? Never seen that before, have no idea what thats for.
12. Nav screen was large however did not like how it was angled towards the driver.
13. The upper controls near the sunglasses holder looked cheap and awkwardly placed.
14. The headlights were nowhere near as bright clear white as the mk6 and i feel they looked awfully cheap compared to our razorblade like xenons. The square lights were bland and too jettaish
15. The golf R rims were absolutely beautiful. Reminded me of an mk4 gli.
15. The golf R blue color was AMAZING. Going to be a huge head turner there
16. Sunroof on the gti looks terrible and misplaced, not flush at all when open.

Overall, the car itself had me worried at first before seeing it in person that it would be vastly different looking. In person it was extremely simlilar to the mk6 and im not disappointment with my gti what so ever. Would i buy one? Yes, however would probably want to wait for the prices to drop and for the aftermarket to build up. Also, mk6 led tails a must when competing with mk7 update.

My womans view of the car..

1. "whats with the swastika rims"
2. Ew too much plastic
3. Oh nice center storage
4. Its so similar to your car
5. I dont like the top console it looks cheap
6. The sunroof looks too big for the car
7. Whats a "tsi"?
8. Oh that blue is nice! (on the golf r)

I should also state we went out with my in laws, they didnt even know it was a different generation. So that shows just how much the general non automotive fans will perceive this car.

Let me know if you have any questions, felt like a simplified less to read review would be helpful. :thumbsup:

Sample photo of interior. That whole front dash is shiny square pattern plastic (somewhat carbon fiber but not really). Wheel looks wider and less sporty as well. You can even see from the photo just how FRICKIN SHINY that dash looks, that will definitely be a first to do mod as these are released. Matte finish front dash kit, $300 plus shipping anyone?

Last edited:

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Nice Comparison. Pics would have been nice since I am a Lazy Phuch!

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Nice Comparison. Pics would have been nice since I am a Lazy Phuch!

Forgot my camera at home unfortunately, you can see pics anywhere else on the internet. Or hit your local autoshow/showroom as they release and keep in mind my comparison.

IF SOMEONE WANTS TO LINK MK7 IMAGES BE MY GUEST:thumbsup:

dwgolf

Ready to race!
When you opened the door, did it have that "hard body" feel or did it feel like a Honda?

Vroomer

Banned
I don't see the big deal in plastic, who cares, do people sleep on their dashboards or something, looks good to me.
Just glad they upped the power, for the original hot hatch vw has been doing gti short where it matters for way too long.

dwgolf

Ready to race!
The big deal is your paying 30+k for a fast kia rio. Beside that, plastic makes more cabin noise in the long run, i can't even turn the radio on without hearing shit rattle.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I don't see the big deal in plastic, who cares, do people sleep on their dashboards or something, looks good to me.
Just glad they upped the power, for the original hot hatch vw has been doing gti short where it matters for way too long.

If was cool with plastic I'd buy an STI. Although their latest generation also looks like crap.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
As the OP implies, I suspect to the non-VW fanatic, the MkVII will look so similar to the MkVI, they won't even notice it is a new generation. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing for VW? I doubt the company has ever been very pleased with the MkVI's sales in the US. I could see some of these issues identified by the OP being fixed within a year, or two, especially as they've had this model out in Europe and might have already begun to deal with some of these things. Or, they'll toss this at us and see if it sales. But, considering how they claim to want to drastically increase US sales and they've invested billions in Puebla, I suspect they'll make some changes fairly quickly. They changed some of the hard plastics in the new Jetta after the press and apparently buyers complained that it cheapened the car.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
As the OP implies, I suspect to the non-VW fanatic, the MkVII will look so similar to the MkVI, they won't even notice it is a new generation. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing for VW? I doubt the company has ever been very pleased with the MkVI's sales in the US. I could see some of these issues identified by the OP being fixed within a year, or two, especially as they've had this model out in Europe and might have already begun to deal with some of these things. Or, they'll toss this at us and see if it sales. But, considering how they claim to want to drastically increase US sales and they've invested billions in Puebla, I suspect they'll make some changes fairly quickly. They changed some of the hard plastics in the new Jetta after the press and apparently buyers complained that it cheapened the car.

I think cheap is the new VW. I couldn't understand what the OEM lip was people were buying until I realized it was standard on my 2010, and then removed in 2011+ model years.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
More pictures would have been helpful, than we could make up our mine.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The Dash top is not shiny plastic, and I think the OP may have confused some people here.
It's the insert on the face of the dash that surrounds the gauges, HVAC ETC. which is now a glossy plastic, vs a matte finish like it is on our MK6's or on the MK7 Golf.
It seems the MK7 Golf gets matte.
GTI the carbon fiber-like plastic.
The R - piano black.
There are excellent images on the MK7 forums under US release.

The dash top is all soft plastic.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
The Dash top is not shiny plastic, and I think the OP may have confused some people here.
It's the insert on the face of the dash that surrounds the gauges, HVAC ETC. which is now a glossy plastic, vs a matte finish like it is on our MK6's or on the MK7 Golf.
It seems the MK7 Golf gets matte.
GTI the carbon fiber-like plastic.
The R - piano black.
There are excellent images on the MK7 forums under US release.

The dash top is all soft plastic.

yes good correction, the face of the dash is all shiny cheap looking plastic which can be seen in the photo. im sure they will come out with aftermarket inserts for this

sorry about no photos

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
MkVI GTI owners complain about not being able to read the climate control knobs. VW cants the center stack towards the driver in the MkVII. MkVI owners complain about it.

Also, side badging is never "nice looking". Ever. It's tacky, and a poor attempt to chase what Kia and Ford call "styling". I hope it comes off easily.