GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB drop in disc revised edition?

Project2010GTI

Ready to race!
I purchased a stage 3 drop in disc from Southbend via USP Motorsports. I spoke with Andy from Southbend and he explained to me the "drop in disc" I got is organic on both sides and is what they consider a stage 3 "daily" drop in disc. Meant to be used with cars that are not replacing or resurfacing the flywheel. This is different than what most people have and it is not Feramic on one side and organic on the other. Andy explained they are both rated for roughly 400-450 ft/lbs but that the organic on both sides will have a less harsh bite when clutch engages and that it will have less negative affects on my flywheel that has 50k miles on it. The feramic part numbers should have "ofe" part numbers, mine is an "ss". Anybody familiar with any of this? Prior to today I was not aware there was stage 3 drop in OPTIONS.

Baosa

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I had the older version with the feramic side and it bit pretty hard.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
No way. Organic is awesome. Don't know how it'd actually improve on the stock clutch though. Maybe reduced surface area in contact?

Edit: looking at it closer, it's not all organic. It has feramic "strings" throughout. That's what CM calls their "formula button"

butchered by autocorrecr

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
No way. Organic is awesome. Don't know how it'd actually improve on the stock clutch though. Maybe reduced surface area in contact?

Edit: looking at it closer, it's not all organic. It has feramic "strings" throughout. That's what CM calls their "formula button"

butchered by autocorrecr

Agree. I would prefer organic all the way since that is more OEM. As long as its true to hold just as much power. I am suspicious though... It should have a smoother bite but at the cost of what? Is it now just like the OEM disc? Will it be prone to slippage just like the OEM disc?

Time will tell...interesting indeed. I may have to add this to my clutch thread.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
a high metal content organic lining will be better on the street, and engage smoother than a sintered iron / feramic, but for more "race" applications and abuse, the sintered iron will have a much higher coefficient of friction as the heat rises

Project2010GTI

Ready to race!
My plan is a basic f23t with WM and if this clutch disc isn't enough than I will upgrade later... I am having it installed next week. I'll keep everyone updated.

BlackedOutMkv

Ready to race!
sub'd.

Looking to buy a new clutch setup within the next few weeks and would like to know how this organic drop in disc holds up.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
will this drop in for someone with already a sb stage 2 endurance clutch?

no, it's a solid unsprung hub meant to be used on a dual mass flywheel. A real clutch has a sprung hub center, and would mate to a solid flywheel