GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti vs 5.0

dallen13

Ready to race!
lol the only thing I run at the track that's different from my street set up is my brake pads, and I still run street tires but on smaller wheels (and a lot lighter). I run a 285/35 Hankook RS3 on all 4 corners. Lasted me 4 HPDE events last year and they are cheap, plus still got life left for this year. If he was BT Golf R I might show up with Hoosiers and run E85 lol And the only thing that's getting installed for this season is a Boss 302 oil cooler as last season my oil temps were a bit too hot for my taste.

By off season you mean summer right? Gotta love Pheonix.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
By off season you mean summer right? Gotta love Pheonix.
I meant track season but yes, Phoenix is awesome for running summer tires year round lol until you drive far enough north to find snow :D

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
I meant track season but yes, Phoenix is awesome for running summer tires year round lol until you drive far enough north to find snow :D

What mods do you have done on your mustang? Also what does it mean to have a "live" rear axle? :)

wireless

Ready to race!
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with some points - my car was "pretty even" with a 5.0 when I was Stage 1+ -- but only from 45-70 or so... then he pulled.

Stage 2 - me vs stock 5.0 w/ catback & intake (not sure on power gains) -- closer.... "pretty even" = he slowly creeping away the entire run 40-110... the quicker we went, the harder he pulled.

Now that I'm k04 - I've yet to run a FBO 5.0, I'm sure I'd lose (especially as we get to the higher speeds) but a stock 5.0 is no contest now.

But, stock 5.0 vs Stage 2, the Stage 2 can't hang at all past 80mph.
"nobody races past 80mph!!!"

no idea where you are, but around here, runs are frequently upwards of 110-130mph lol

I've seen this video multiple times. IMHO the gti was heatsoaked and possibly needed a driver mod. Plus that 5.0 is far from stock.

lol. excuses..

What mods do you have done on your mustang? Also what does it mean to have a "live" rear axle? :)

A live rear axle is basically saying that the entire axle is one piece -- what affects one side affects the other (in a nutshell)

This video gives a lot of insight on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAX0mRYeUfM

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with some points - my car was "pretty even" with a 5.0 when I was Stage 1+ -- but only from 45-70 or so... then he pulled.

Stage 2 - me vs stock 5.0 w/ catback & intake (not sure on power gains) -- closer.... "pretty even" = he slowly creeping away the entire run 40-110... the quicker we went, the harder he pulled.

Now that I'm k04 - I've yet to run a FBO 5.0, I'm sure I'd lose (especially as we get to the higher speeds) but a stock 5.0 is no contest now.

But, stock 5.0 vs Stage 2, the Stage 2 can't hang at all past 80mph.
"nobody races past 80mph!!!"

no idea where you are, but around here, runs are frequently upwards of 110-130mph lol

lol. excuses..

A live rear axle is basically saying that the entire axle is one piece -- what affects one side affects the other (in a nutshell)

This video gives a lot of insight on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAX0mRYeUfM

thanks! :thumbup:

KOA789

Go Kart Champion

Mods are: AED 91 tune with ability to switch the tune to run 100% E85, 47lb. injectors, 3" x pipe with 3" mid pipes and GT500 mufflers, Eibach Pro kit springs with Eibach shocks and Eibach front and rear sway bars, Competition Engineering subframe connectors, Steeda rear lower control arms and adjustable upper control arm, BMR panhard bar, Boss 302 transmission cooler, and I got a Boss 302 oil cooler waiting to be installed. I'm running the facotry optioned 3.73 gears and a factory LSD. For brakes I have J&M front and rear brake lines and I run Hawk HPs for track duty on stock Ford rotors and I run a JLT brake cooling kit....and that's it performance wise. My daily wheels and tires are RTR 19x9.5 wheels (Made by VMR for Classic Design Concept, I think they are 710s in the VW world) with 255/40 front and 275/35 rears, and my track wheels and tires are 285 series RS3s on all 4 corners on some cheapo 18x10" GT500 replicas from American Muscle. Also got some light interior and exterior mods.

As far as live rear axle, it's just a 3 link rear set up (non-independent), but with driven wheels. A solid axle is often confused with a live axle, but a solid axle set up is not powered, it's just what's more commonly known as a beam suspension. So FWD cars without an independent rear would have that, like the MKIV Golfs/GTIs/Jettas.

Maybe he has a Watts link! Mustangs can turn with those.;)

I think a watts link is overkill for a car that's not seeing track every month.

Last edited:

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Mods are: AED 91 tune with ability to switch the tune to run 100% E85, 47lb. injectors, 3" x pipe with 3" mid pipes and GT500 mufflers, Eibach Pro kit springs with Eibach shocks and Eibach front and rear sway bars, Competition Engineering subframe connectors, Steeda rear lower control arms and adjustable upper control arm, BMR panhard bar, Boss 302 transmission cooler, and I got a Boss 302 oil cooler waiting to be installed. I'm running the facotry optioned 3.73 gears and a factory LSD. For brakes I have J&M front and rear brake lines and I run Hawk HPs for track duty on stock Ford rotors and I run a JLT brake cooling kit....and that's it performance wise. My daily wheels and tires are RTR 19x9.5 wheels (Made by VMR for Classic Design Concept, I think they are 710s in the VW world) with 255/40 front and 275/35 rears, and my track wheels and tires are 285 series RS3s on all 4 corners on some cheapo 18x10" GT500 replicas from American Muscle. Also got some light interior and exterior mods.

As far as live rear axle, it's just a 3 link rear set up (non-independent), but with driven wheels. A solid axle is often confused with a live axle, but a solid axle set up is not powered, it's just what's more commonly known as a beam suspension. So FWD cars without an independent rear would have that, like the MKIV Golfs/GTIs/Jettas.

I think a watts link is overkill for a car that's not seeing track every month.

I have always loved the mustang 5.0, they sound and look amazing. How do you like it compared to the gti? How do you like the interior? When I test drove the v6 the interior was garbage and I really couldn't get over the dashboard and the steering wheel. Would you say it feels better in terms of handling compared to the gti?

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
I have always loved the mustang 5.0, they sound and look amazing. How do you like it compared to the gti? How do you like the interior? When I test drove the v6 the interior was garbage and I really couldn't get over the dashboard and the steering wheel. Would you say it feels better in terms of handling compared to the gti?

Well, it's two different types of cars. The only GTI I have owned was an 04, and I've had 2 R32s, both 2008 models. Comparing the GT to the MKV, I think the design language of the interior in the VWs is more modern. The GT has soft touch plastics and leather in all the same places as my VWs and Infinitis did, but you can tell the leather is not as nice, and they also chose to use super shitty vinyl for the e-brake cover and shift boot (both of those were replaced immediately, as in the day I took delivery). Seats and steering wheel in the R32 were also way better then in the GT. I think the buttons in the VWs have a more substantial feel, even compared to my G35 and G37. The GT isn't bad though, but you can tell more money went to the drivetrain rather then to the interior. And yeah, the base v6 and GT interiors are garbage. Rubber steering wheel with shit gauges and plastic dash panels. Leather and real aluminum on the Premium is much better.

As far as handling, around town, stock for stock, the R32 IMO was a better car. The R was one of few cars I actually left stock because it did everything so well I didn't want to ruin the balance of the whole thing. I would probably do the same with a GTI, as when I had my 2 GLIs I left those stock too. With the GT, on the stock suspension, the spring rates are so soft and the shocks are under valved as well, and while the car may handle great on the track and pull great numbers, around town it felt too soft for my taste. I threw the stock stuff away within the first 1,000 miles. So when it comes to over all handling, around town, stock for stock, I'd say the GTI feels more fun looking at the fact it's a bit stiffer and a lot lighter. On the track, stock for stock, GT all the way. Auto-x? I couldn't tell you. I auto-x my MKIV once and the damn thing hit limp mode on my second run and I had to drive it home like that. I've liked all my cars I've had, but the GT so far I think is my favorite. It's a car you can take to the track and beat the shit out of one weekend, and the next weekend go on a 1500 mile road trip. I drove it from Phoenix to Monterey, and until I hit the PCH I averaged about 26mpg at around 80mph. Once I hit Highway 1, mileage dropped significantly, as in down to the low teens. It's quiet on the inside and loud on the outside when you want it to be too. I pretty much fixed all of Ford's shortcoming with a bit of aftermarket.

As far as which is a better car between a GTI and a Mustang? Overall, I think with the advantage is space, comfort, utility, gas economy, fun factor when stock, and cost, GTI would by anyone's standard, but as a second or third car, the GT is just more fun to hoon in. 400hp+ v8 with RWD for 24k is hard to beat. Not only that, for not a whole lot of money in the aftermarket, you can have a car you can drive every day and have a ton of fun while even doing legal speeds.

Last edited:

boosted135

Ready to race!
Jesus what an infuriating thread on so many levels. First off, a mustang 5.0 is an absolute phucking monster with correct gearing (any real enthusiast would go for the 3.76 gearing ratio) and a six speed transmission. It's a 415bhp 5 litre v8 with power ON DEMAND. Arguing about a specific instance where you hung with a STOCK 5.0 for a little bit that one time has no bearing on the engineering of the Mustang line as a whole.

Add a tune and exhaust, and forget about even seeing KOAs taillights. We get it, you're hyped about your stage 1 tune that you overpaid for and the intake you overpaid for as well. That's awesome. Comparing a 5.0 to an m3 is pointless as well. They'll be closer in performance in all aspects stock for stock than a GTI and an m3 will.

We get it, you're the underdog that has to drop 10 grand in mods to have it perform like the 5.0 does out of the box. That's fine, it's a labor of love for all of us no matter which platform we choose. But to malign a 5.0 and act like it doesn't perform like it does is plain silly. The car is in a different realm, and reviews as well as popularity speak for itself. 4.6's are long gone, and unless you live under a rock, you're starting to see American muscle start to kick ass again in a big way.

Gti207

Ready to race!
Take you pathetic frustrated anger elsewhere. Go buy a 5.0 and jerk to it.

boosted135

Ready to race!
Take you pathetic frustrated anger elsewhere. Go buy a 5.0 and jerk to it.

Lol the only thing I'd be angry about would be giving Steve Dinan 2k to give me a stage 3 tune for the n55 engine producing the same power as a k04. Gtfo.

Gti207

Ready to race!
Bud it's an n54. 335is get your facts straight

Gti207

Ready to race!
And stage 3 [emoji6]

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Jesus what an infuriating thread on so many levels.

See? It is possible to troll Lou! LOL

unless you live under a rock, you're starting to see American muscle start to kick ass again in a big way.

Kinda. They still have a bit to go to get to the level of driver connection as most other sports cars. I have high hopes for the new mustang's chassis. Not just IRS, but the little things like double ball-joints up front. That's a near-unnecessary change from a marketing standpoint that the engineering team fought for anyways just to get the handing response they wanted.

Mostly, I wish all the American manufacturers would get rid of the base models of these muscle cars. The V6 mustang is, always was and always will be anemic. Something that looks like that and wears the Mustang name shouldn't be competing with stock GTI's in straight-line speed. Camero and Challenger are even worse offenders. The base models just shouldn't exist. Seeing dudes feeling hot and fast in a base model puts a heavy pit in my stomach.

butchered by autocorrecr