GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I've been going back and forth on what I would want to do to a miata. I thing 250whp would be SUPER fun in one of those, but from what reading I've done, that'd be on the limits of reliability for the stock 1.8. I've looked a little into a honda j32a2 swap (because I like "building" cars in my head long in advance of getting them) and think that may be the best option for good power and reliability (no turbo means less heat and less parts to break). What I would REALLY want to do is build a miata, track it for a few years, then throw it in am Exocet frame. Thaaatd be pretty sweet. I would definitley need a house with a garage before doing that though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We really have the same thoughts.

But I'd do a Honda k22/20 swap if Honda. The other motor is more difficult and not as many kits.

Also with the Exocet expect to spend 15k or more for the Miata and all the work and parts. After I talked to a few people with experience and some with Exocets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
We really have the same thoughts.

But I'd do a Honda k22/20 swap if Honda. The other motor is more difficult and not as many kits.

Also with the Exocet expect to spend 15k or more for the Miata and all the work and parts. After I talked to a few people with experience and some with Exocets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The big reason I was looking at a j swap instead of a k swap was availability and cheapness of motor. And yeah, if/when I build an exocet, there will be no dilutions of it being cheap, haha

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Got some carriers for my track tires today to try and cut down on the rocks/brake dust that get in the car after a track event. My GF immediately said that they look like hair nets, and now its all I can see.

In other news, I sold my K04 and now owe less than $1000 on the GTI! I would pay it off, but instead I decided to spend some of the money on a new bike and a track event for next weekend, so payoff will have to wait one more month. But I should have some pictures from CMP next week, and hopefully some videos soon after!

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Not going K04 anymore? :confused:
Nope, sold it to help pay the car off (I now owe less than $1k and it will be all mine at the end of next month)

After looking into everything it would need to run the way I want it to with the turbo, it just wasn't worth it. If I had a DSG, I would have likely kept it, bit with having to upgrade the manual, wanting to put an LSD in at the same time, then needing a bigger IC, brakes, turbo pipes, etc, etc.

MAYBE if I was gonna keep her forever, but once I get a house I'll be looking for an all out track car, and I don't think I could bring myself to strip the Gti and throw a cage in it. It's just too good an all around car to take away all the nice German refinement and comfort.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Nope, sold it to help pay the car off (I now owe less than $1k and it will be all mine at the end of next month)

After looking into everything it would need to run the way I want it to with the turbo, it just wasn't worth it. If I had a DSG, I would have likely kept it, bit with having to upgrade the manual, wanting to put an LSD in at the same time, then needing a bigger IC, brakes, turbo pipes, etc, etc.

MAYBE if I was gonna keep her forever, but once I get a house I'll be looking for an all out track car, and I don't think I could bring myself to strip the Gti and throw a cage in it. It's just too good an all around car to take away all the nice German refinement and comfort.

Totally fair assessment man. I ran into the same issues when I thought about going with a K04. Then again, you could always run a Miata as a track car and buy another K04 and all the associated parts anyway...;)

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion

Yeah, totally makes sense as I read it. I mean, both of your points. K04 is a tall standard, even Stage2 tune demands so many supporting mods. And yeah, stripping out the GTI to make a track-only car is absolutely pointless :p

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yeah, totally makes sense as I read it. I mean, both of your points. K04 is a tall standard, even Stage2 tune demands so many supporting mods. And yeah, stripping out the GTI to make a track-only car is absolutely pointless :p
She's just to nice to go all out on, which is a damn shame. I'm certainly enjoying her in the mean time, and will be tracking her this weekend!
Totally fair assessment man. I ran into the same issues when I thought about going with a K04. Then again, you could always run a Miata as a track car and buy another K04 and all the associated parts anyway...;)
The only issue is that I have an offroad vehicle as well, and I can't afford 3 cars at once. So the gti will have to part ways to make room for the track car and my current jeep will leave to make room for a shiny new one in a few years

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
CMP 2016

Just got back from CMP and had a BLAST. I am almost ready to move up to group 3 (which means I could potentially be legitimately racing as early as next year) but still need to work on my consistency in driving with traffic.

The brakes held up ok, CMP is notorious for being tough on brakes and tires, and even with the upgraded fluid and pads I was seeing fade at the end of the day, but that was after I let Dr. Benedict drive the car, then I drove 4 more sessions, so 5 sessions on a tough track is pretty demanding. I've had the pads for about a year and a half now, so I am looking at replacements soon, and think I will step up to Hawk DTC60's front and HP Plus rears. Doing this means I will also want to get new rotors (looking at Cryo Blanks) since the pads will be very aggressive, and I will need to run street and track pads since the DTC's are strictly race pads and wont perform as well when cold. Aww well, no one ever said racing was cheap, haha.

I also have a few more ideas on how I want to duct the brakes and build a front splitter, so I will be trying to experiment with a prototype when I am home over Thanksgiving (hopefully).

Anyway, here are some pictures from the track event:

Track wheels on, parked next to Dr.B's racing Porsche 914

Fronts are almost slicks at this point. I may be able to run them for another season but will likely need to replace them after that

A race team brought out their Viper ACR out. Not sure what class they were racing in, but I'm sure this was more of a shakedown than a legit competition for them

Getting Artsy Fartsy with the ACR

Someone brought out a McLaren (not sure what model) It did not go out on track, but I certainly cant blame them for that.

Look at that Candy Paint

The Thunder Roadsters were all in their little area

More of Dr. B's 914. Fully tubular frame and running an air cooled 3.6 out of a 993 making around 320ish whp, but weighing less than a Miata

Dr. B took the win in his class!

Overall I had a great time (much easier to do when nothing breaks). I have a few items I want to tend to over the off season, such as brakes, rotors, and the aero/ducting work, but there isnt really anything else I want to do to the car rather than getting my FSB installed thats been sitting around forever. The car is super capable at this point, and its honestly back at the point now where its me as a driver that has to do the catching up. I have some video (gopro lost the footage I really wanted again, go figure) that I'll edit up soon and post a link to.

Best lap of the weekend was a 1:57.81
Dr. B took my car out and manages a 1:57.16
Steven (my old instructor with a MK5) managed a 1:55.5

So I'm still running decently good times, but I know I have a lot of room for improvement. Harrys Lap Timer lists a theoretical fastest lap of 1:55.88, which puts me right on par with Steven, so thats nice.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Car is paid off! Hooray for no more car payments (at least for a little while)

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Car is paid off! Hooray for no more car payments (at least for a little while)

Congrats man, that's awesome!

So much good stuff going on in here... racing, sweet pics, talks of big turbo, interesting new mods. Will be keeping an eye on things here haha.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Congrats man, that's awesome!

So much good stuff going on in here... racing, sweet pics, talks of big turbo, interesting new mods. Will be keeping an eye on things here haha.
Thanks man!

No big turbo going to happen here though, I sold the K04 to help pay the car off so I can start saving up for a house, so the GTI is pretty much as modded as it's going to be