GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG transmission advice?

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I'm stuck with a dilemma and I need some advice. I purchased my MK6 DSG a few weeks ago with 65k miles on it. The dealer couldn't tell me if the 40k maintenance had been done or not. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get it done or wait it out. I'm also considering doing it myself (depending on how difficult it is).

I'm open to suggestions but the last thing I want to do is mess up my transmission. Especially one as expensive as the DSG.

Thanks!
-DT

Jaber

Modero
Usually when I buy a used car (over 60k miles), I change all fluids anyway.

Better to be safe than sorry. More so with DSG and a potential high repair bill if it was not done.

Plus, if you're at 65k miles, lets say P.O. changed it at 35k or even 40k. You're not completely wasting the fluid/filter.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Thanks guys I appreciate the quick responses. I was leaning towards doing it myself and doing it sooner rather than later, which pretty much confirms what I thinking. Looks like it isn't too difficult to do either so I'll just add this to the audio upgrade I'm doing this weekend as well. The projects just keep piling up.

-DT

zrickety

The Fixer
Usually when I buy a used car, I change all fluids anyway.
Me too. I would consider air and fuel filters, spark plugs, and R8 coils too. Assume nothing has been done if there are no records.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Me too. I would consider air and fuel filters, spark plugs, and R8 coils too. Assume nothing has been done if there are no records.

I think you're right. I should probably just do a full on replacement of the filters, coils and plugs... Do the spark plugs require a special tool?? I think I saw someone say something about that. Can't remember where though.

-DT

zrickety

The Fixer
No just an extension and regular spark plug socket. Could not be more straightforward. You should use a torque wrench, that is the only special tool.

Renner

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I'm stuck with a dilemma and I need some advice. I purchased my MK6 DSG a few weeks ago with 65k miles on it. The dealer couldn't tell me if the 40k maintenance had been done or not. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and get it done or wait it out. I'm also considering doing it myself (depending on how difficult it is).

I'm open to suggestions but the last thing I want to do is mess up my transmission. Especially one as expensive as the DSG.

Thanks!
-DT

If you dont want to do the DSG service I will do it for you $75 labor and you supply parts (Huntley, IL)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Okay so I'm looking at the different Transmission fluid replacement kits and found this one. http://www.uspmotorsports.com/DSG-Transmission-Service-Kit-Cool-Flow-Housing.html is it worth the extra 90 bucks for the aluminum cover? Do they brake a lot as suggested?

-DT

I wouldn't waste my $ on that insert, you just need to be careful with the plastic one. Follow the finger tight rule as outlined in the video I linked to in my hints and tips thread. Though I'm cheap and wouldn't buy it, it does look like a nice part if keeping the car for many DSG fluid changes.

With a new to me 60k GTI I would DIY:

Oil/oil filter
air filter
fuel filter
DSG fluid and filter
spark plugs
coilpacks
cabin air filter
inspect intercooler hoses (take off the plastic shield underneath in the front and just look at them, if they are spewing oil like crazy replace o-rings on them)
check to see what revision DV valve you have (if piston style "D" or "C" you are fine).. if rubber diaphragm, replace with piston one
brake fluid check/change
power steering fluid check

Welcome to VW. Don't let the list scare you, it's just a complete list to ensure your cars health and happiness not knowing what moron (or enthusiast if you are lucky) had it prior.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
I wouldn't waste my $ on that insert, you just need to be careful with the plastic one. Follow the finger tight rule as outlined in the video I linked to in my hints and tips thread. Though I'm cheap and wouldn't buy it, it does look like a nice part if keeping the car for many DSG fluid changes.

With a new to me 60k GTI I would DIY:

Oil/oil filter
air filter
fuel filter
DSG fluid and filter
spark plugs
coilpacks
cabin air filter
inspect intercooler hoses (take off the plastic shield underneath in the front and just look at them, if they are spewing oil like crazy replace o-rings on them)
check to see what revision DV valve you have (if piston style "D" or "C" you are fine).. if rubber diaphragm, replace with piston one
brake fluid check/change
power steering fluid check

Welcome to VW. Don't let the list scare you, it's just a complete list to ensure your cars health and happiness not knowing what moron (or enthusiast if you are lucky) had it prior.

Funny enough the list doesn't scare it. I actually look forward to doing all of that. For the stuff I don't know how to do I want to learn because I prefer DIY to taking it into some shop where I have to trust they did everything right. Being the OCD Enthusiast I am, especially particular about my GTI. I love this car. It's my first turbo so I have a lot to learn about it. (I am used to naturally aspirated vehicles, my last car was a base Mini Cooper).

I'm open to any and all suggestions though and I really appreciate your help and insight. I've already got an ignition kit (including spark plugs), Transmission kit (think I'll go without that cover for now, but eventually get it since I plan to have this car a long time), and a fuel filter picked out. I don't have to do the oil change since I did that on the first day I drove it home.

-DT