GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

With the Mk7 posting impressive numbers.. will you go ko4?

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
I am curious to see if the Gen 3 TSI will suffer from the same issues that the Gen 1 did regarding carbon build up.

Here are a few interesting tid bits I read regarding Direct Injection Gasoline Engines and carbon build up.

1. "Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber…suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits…especially in the neck region of the intake valves." The application also noted that these carbon build-ups "have extremely negative effects" on the performance of the engine. " From VW

2. GM denies carbon build up. “We maintain great engine function and performance in our all our DI engines through an optimization strategy with our valve events,”

3. Lexus uses a technique that indirectly addresses this issue. They have two sets of injectors. One set is for idle in order to reduce noise. The second is direct injection for performance and economy. In other word, Port and direct Injection

4. Ford also has patented a DI reversion cleaning of the intake valve on the DI engines. Like VVT replacing EGR, Ford is using VVT to allow a timed fuel/air mixture to rinse the intake valve as needed.

IMO, Toyota/Lexus twin injection is the best solution as DI isn't optimum at all rpms/load. IDI has its benefits. And, the combination of the two would be best.

I believe that the elimination of the EGR along with better valve timing would help this issue.

Over time it will be very interesting to see how the gen 3 engine deals with this as VW has know of this issue for almost a decade now.

On another not, the use of the exhaust manifold incorporated in the head is a great design to help maintain thermal efficiency, velocity to allow VW to go to a larger exhaust housing and compressor wheel. They are getting awesome spool with plenty of head room to keep the turbo out of the surge region. Basically they have widened the compressor map which will help the tuners put out strong numbers.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I am curious to see if the Gen 3 TSI will suffer from the same issues that the Gen 1 did regarding carbon build up.

Here are a few interesting tid bits I read regarding Direct Injection Gasoline Engines and carbon build up.

1. "Gasoline engines with direct injection of the fuel into the combustion chamber…suffer especially from the problem of the formation of carbon deposits…especially in the neck region of the intake valves." The application also noted that these carbon build-ups "have extremely negative effects" on the performance of the engine. " From VW

2. GM denies carbon build up. “We maintain great engine function and performance in our all our DI engines through an optimization strategy with our valve events,”

3. Lexus uses a technique that indirectly addresses this issue. They have two sets of injectors. One set is for idle in order to reduce noise. The second is direct injection for performance and economy. In other word, Port and direct Injection

4. Ford also has patented a DI reversion cleaning of the intake valve on the DI engines. Like VVT replacing EGR, Ford is using VVT to allow a timed fuel/air mixture to rinse the intake valve as needed.

IMO, Toyota/Lexus twin injection is the best solution as DI isn't optimum at all rpms/load. IDI has its benefits. And, the combination of the two would be best.

I believe that the elimination of the EGR along with better valve timing would help this issue.

Over time it will be very interesting to see how the gen 3 engine deals with this as VW has know of this issue for almost a decade now.

On another not, the use of the exhaust manifold incorporated in the head is a great design to help maintain thermal efficiency, velocity to allow VW to go to a larger exhaust housing and compressor wheel. They are getting awesome spool with plenty of head room to keep the turbo out of the surge region. Basically they have widened the compressor map which will help the tuners put out strong numbers.

I am curious about the carbon issue as well.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
As a consumer I like Lexus' (Toyota's) approach, but that's expensive to produce. Ford has a good idea going with it's rinsing technique but I can't imagine it works very well on the walls of the intake port or the stem of the valve. GM's is... well it sounds like a poor excuse to me :laugh:

boki

Ready to race!
Doesn't the mk7 gti in Europe have dual injection (direct and port)? Why wasn't that implemented in US spec cars? Probably the cost.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't the mk7 gti in Europe have dual injection (direct and port)? Why wasn't that implemented in US spec cars? Probably the cost.
Yeah that's my guess. They are keeping both direct and port in the MK7 R. To be honest carbon build up isn't that much of an issue. Either pay $500 or 3 hours of your time every 4 years.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Yeah that's my guess. They are keeping both direct and port in the MK7 R. To be honest carbon build up isn't that much of an issue. Either pay $500 or 3 hours of your time every 4 years.

More curious to see the effects of carbon build-up with VW's new cam phasing and valve strategy. Ford and GM claim to control it with their valve profile.

DubDriver17

Oval Newbie
DYING to see some pulls between stg 1 mk7 and K04 MK6

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
no vids but i spanked a stage 1 mk7 the other day and i don't even have the 3.0 tune yet, though i have a peloquin lsd and stage 3 endurance clutch. i think those stock turbos still lack top end power and torque; and yes i don't give a shit if i get spanked by a stage2 or ko4 equivalent mk7.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
no vids but i spanked a stage 1 mk7 the other day and i don't even have the 3.0 tune yet, though i have a peloquin lsd and stage 3 endurance clutch. i think those stock turbos still lack top end power and torque; and yes i don't give a shit if i get spanked by a stage2 or ko4 equivalent mk7.

Details?

I ran APR stage 1+ intake DSG from second and we were neck to neck...I suddenly started pulling away at exactly 100mph