GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best battery for the money?

WAP

Go Kart Champion
OP, don't expect the longevity some of these posters are claiming....you live in Maryland, where the balls hot weather ruins the battery and the balls cold weather reveals the weakness. Just get one with a good warranty. Honestly, in Maryland if you get three or four years out of a battery you're doing good, and most batteries roll at least a 36 mo. warranty.

Bullshit. See my post above for my OEM battery experience. I'm in the Chicago area, where we see 100 degree summers and 10 below winters. My 4 year old OEM battery was just tested last month and it was fine.

:dnftt:

zrickety

The Fixer
Old technology. Honestly, the new AGM batteries are the way to go. Especially with all the electronics and heavy loads in these cars. Sears will have to special order it, my local store tried to pull a fast one and give me a cheaper battery. NAPA also carries an AGM version, and they will match the website price.
Edit- that Deka is pretty sweet but is it a different size?

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
OEM. They come with a 6 year warranty. No way you'd need anything more unless you have like $10k in stereo equipment or something.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Edit- that Deka is pretty sweet but is it a different size?

Maybe? It looks slightly bigger in the pic, but still seems to fit in the box with the factory jacket. I guess we'll see.

--Matt

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Bullshit. See my post above for my OEM battery experience. I'm in the Chicago area, where we see 100 degree summers and 10 below winters. My 4 year old OEM battery was just tested last month and it was fine.

:dnftt:

K bra. OP your battery will last 4 plus years then., no worries.. FAP battery uber alles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ))

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
My car is a 2013, and mine is already toast. I don't have any stereo mods either. Barely starts under 20F. I've got the RFD, though, so it is a harder than usual task in all honesty.

--Matt

Last edited:

WAP

Go Kart Champion

This^
Got mine since 09 and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEM. Still have the original battery in my car with a build date of Oct 2010.

FYI, back in the day (~10 years ago) the OEM batteries were interstate.

Also, believe it or not, THE DEALER had the best price i found. This was for my mk4 TDI

This. Still on my original battery and my build date is 8/10.

I kept my Mk4 OEM battery for 7 years and it was still cranking fine when I replaced it, but I just thought it was time.

I've also had luck in the (distant) past with Diehard, too.

OEM is the way to go and apparently the dealer sells them at a price lower than aftermarket brands which is shocking. My 2010 Tiguan is using the original oem battery and hasn't skipped a beat...was actually tested about a month ago and is perfectly fine

OEM. They come with a 6 year warranty. No way you'd need anything more unless you have like $10k in stereo equipment or something.

K bra. OP your battery will last 4 plus years then., no worries.. FAP battery uber alles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ))

I'm not the only one who had/has good luck with oem, dude.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
My car is a 2010 and still on the original battery. If its really cold out (-20) it starts a little slow but its fine. I won't replace it until it fails. No point in spending money on something that is working just fine.

WAP

Go Kart Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
OEM batteries are junk...if you got a good one you are lucky. Both my 09 and 10 needed replacement after 3 years.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
OEM batteries are junk...if you got a good one you are lucky. Both my 09 and 10 needed replacement after 3 years.

See MQ above.

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
I just had to replace my OEM battery in my 2012 GTI. I'm sure leaving the lights on until the battery was almost dead (twice) accelerated its demise.. No mods that would impact battery life. Even though I'm in the "hotlanta" area, I'm north enough to where I still see less than 20 degree temps, and of course 100+ in the summer.

Replaced it with an Advance Auto Parts AutoCraft Platinum AGM for $130 after $50 off coupon, tax and core swap. Night and day difference with cranking the ignition, even when it is 50 degrees...

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I hate the OEM battery. Got one replaced at 10K then that one died at 32K. They wouldn't replace it again and wanted to charge me $150 for it because apparently OEM batteries only have a 1 year replacement plan.

I went and got myself DieHard Advanced Gold battery. It cost ~$150 but has a 3 year replacement warranty then a prorated 10 year warranty I believe. So far this battery has been great.