GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting some squeaks and rattles.

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Been hearing some squeaks and rattles coming from my rear doors. I've been using silicone spray to try and keep the sqeaks down, but lately I've been hearing a little rattle on larger bumps.

I've seen a lot of random fixes around the forums and have also thought about taking it to the dealer.

Any recommendations? Thanks guys!

tzd

Ready to race!
Are you hearing squeaks when you open/close the door, or only when driving over bumps?

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you hearing squeaks when you open/close the door, or only when driving over bumps?

Mainly just been on larger bumps and crappy roads. I haven't really heard anything closing the doors.

I get a really good sqeak/creek when I turning out of my garage at work. It's a pretty steep angle coming out and pretty loud when it flattens back out.

tzd

Ready to race!
Cool. It may not make sense when I tell you this, but go try it anyway I'm pretty sure it will solve it. Fold down your rear seat backs. Then slam it hard back into the upright position. When the seat back is folded, you will see a red tab appear at the latch handle. Make sure that when you slam it back upright, that the red tab completely disappears, which indicates it is fully latched. Now go drive and tell me the squeaks are gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cobie56

Ready to race!

yeah, i have this twangy kinda metal on metal noise when hitting bumps,, smooth roads no problem... coming from the sunroof area on passenger side... have already eliminated the sunglass holder as a source so may need to take it to dealer .

Last edited:

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool. It may not make sense when I tell you this, but go try it anyway I'm pretty sure it will solve it. Fold down your rear seat backs. Then slam it hard back into the upright position. When the seat back is folded, you will see a red tab appear at the latch handle. Make sure that when you slam it back upright, that the red tab completely disappears, which indicates it is fully latched. Now go drive and tell me the squeaks are gone.

Went out and tried that, they both seemed latched before, but I had crap in the back from a fishing trip when I last latched them. So stuff could've been the way a bit.

I think I might have found what was rattling though. I was sitting in the back seat shaking stuff to see if I could get it to rattle. I noticed that my wife had adjusted the seatbelt height to Hobbit. I moved the belt around a little and made a very similar sound to what I've been hearing.

Hopefully these things take care of that. Now to stop that stupid creaking. Any ideas better than my silicon spray. I heard that there was some kind of stuff BMW puts on the weather stripping that helps.

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
Nevermind, those didn't work. Gonna have to have the wife drive me around while I ride in the back.

Wrecksigge

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah, i have this twangy kinda metal on metal noise when hitting bumps,, smooth roads no problem... coming from the sunroof area on passenger side... have already eliminated the sunglass holder as a source so may need to take it to dealer .

Yeah as a pedant theese cars are not very kind to you. I have a rattle coming from the A-pillar on the left side that i cant figure out where it comes from. It only appears in higher speeds. Ive already eliminated the watershield under the windscreen. It must come from the inside of the pillar itself or the dashboard. Drives me freakkin nuts. But thats just one of my many rattles. I also have one coming from behind the stereo, in the trunk, and from the golvecompartement. Im telling you, soon i will be sitting in the backseet with a straight jacket on me...

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I found the fix to most of the rattles a long time ago....

door creaks/rattles - insert 1/4" vinyl drain tube along the top of the doors to stop the rubber from flexing against the body

rear seat latch creaks/rattles - wrap a piece of velcro (soft side) around the flat part of the anchor which the latch holds on to.

calebm

Passed Driver's Ed
door creaks/rattles - insert 1/4" vinyl drain tube along the top of the doors to stop the rubber from flexing against the body.

Do you have a pic of this or another thread that I may have missed?

Thanks!

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I found the fix to most of the rattles a long time ago....

door creaks/rattles - insert 1/4" vinyl drain tube along the top of the doors to stop the rubber from flexing against the body

rear seat latch creaks/rattles - wrap a piece of velcro (soft side) around the flat part of the anchor which the latch holds on to.

please pics